A new spin on Bon Jovi's Runaway

Fucking Horrible!!!

Okay, that sucked.

Now, can someone tell me who played guitar on the original? We all know it wasn't Richie, but for life of me I cannot remember who it was.

I believe it was Dave Sabo

Okay, that sucked.

Now, can someone tell me who played guitar on the original? We all know it wasn't Richie, but for life of me I cannot remember who it was.

I believe it was Dave Sabo

No shit?

Doesn't sound like Snake's "style" to me, but who knows.

Thanks for the response and I'll do more checking.

Yep, no shit. There was something about it in a recent classic rock magazine i think or i may have read something online about it after recently listening to the powerstation sessions CD. Originally Jon used some session musicians to record some stuff he was coming up with and a guy called Bill Frank played on the original instrumental version of Runaway. Jon ditched those guys and recorded a demo with a different bunch of guys (Tim Pierce was the guitarist), then Sabo was part of the early line-up just before the self titled album was to be recorded but was ditched in favor of Richie for the recording of the album.

Fantastic info, Dark. "Runaway" is an awesome guitar track, too.

Makes sense as to how / why Skid Row opened for Bon Jovi on the New Jersey tour. Seemed like a bit of an odd pairing to me to me at the time. Now I know how and why it happened.

I was lucky enough to see that gig here in Portland, Oregon in May of 1989. I remember spending the night outside the Memorial Coliseum to buy tickets. I had just turned 21 a couple weeks earlier. Good times!

(See, fellas, I was a HUGE Bon Jovi fan back in the day... even if I couldn't care less about the current band).

Me too! I'd have killed to see Skid Row and Bon Jovi on the same bill but i was a bit too young when it happened. That must have been a good gig!

And this tune brought to you by.....Sesame Street....♫ Cooooookieeeeee aaaarrrrrghhhhhhhhh!!!!! ♫

Original track "Runaway" was recorded for the Miller Life Battle Of The Bands series which featured bands from across the USA. Radio stations in major cities had a vinyl release with the bands from their listening areas and The original "Runaway" was released on the WAPP New York album along with a track by Twisted Sister.

A sister station of WAPP here in the St Louis market, KSHE was playing the track by Jon Bon Jovi "Runaway" and the D.J.'s indicated it was an unreleased track further adding that you should not run down to the local record shop in an attempt to buy it.

KSHE continued playing it over and over and I was hooked. I discovered that the track was on the WAPP New York Battle Of The Bands album. Lo and behold, my neighbor was making a trip to New York and I talked him into dropping by a record outlet in New York City and picking up a copy for me.........

The track became the winner of the Battle Of The Bands contest and Jon Bon Jovi was awarded a record contract as a result. The debut Bonjovi album was later released with "Runaway" being the first track on the album.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 6/17/2015 at 10:00 AM, Dark said:

Yep, no shit. There was something about it in a recent classic rock magazine i think or i may have read something online about it after recently listening to the powerstation sessions CD. Originally Jon used some session musicians to record some stuff he was coming up with and a guy called Bill Frank played on the original instrumental version of Runaway. Jon ditched those guys and recorded a demo with a different bunch of guys (Tim Pierce was the guitarist), then Sabo was part of the early line-up just before the self titled album was to be recorded but was ditched in favor of Richie for the recording of the album.

I "think" I've finally found the answer.  

Tune in at about 6:20