Dream Theater - s/t

zacharyamelie

You know Prog Metal is not big amongst HH members, since the thread I started about the band's last release over 2 years ago is still on the first page of the Prog thread.

Being the resident DT fanboy, I just wanted to share the fact they are releasing a new one on September 24th. The release is self titled and the first single is called 'The Enemy Within'...a typical DT song title. As for the first single it is OK, very heavy, not the most melodic but it gets better with each spin. The keyboard solo at just under 5 minutes is a bit circus like, I sometimes wish they'd cut that crap out, sounds forced and doesn't really belong.

I've read elsewhere that 'The Enemy Within' is the heaviest track on the album and that the rest follows the more traditional DT path and that it is a fantastic release.

Here is the clip for the first single

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoVAUUFjl0I&feature=c4-overview&list=UUBHhdnYxvu94yefpeZABY9g&utm_medium=email&utm_content=ayotte2506@yahoo.ca&utm_campaign=August-6-2013_DT+Pre-Orders+Now+AVailable&utm_source=DT+Pre-Orders+Now+AVailable

You know Prog Metal is not big amongst HH members, since the thread I started about the band's last release over 2 years ago is still on the first page of the Prog thread.

Being the resident DT fanboy, I just wanted to share the fact they are releasing a new one on September 24th. The release is self titled and the first single is called 'The Enemy Within'...a typical DT song title. As for the first single it is OK, very heavy, not the most melodic but it gets better with each spin. The keyboard solo at just under 5 minutes is a bit circus like, I sometimes wish they'd cut that crap out, sunds forced and doesn't really belong.

I've read elsewhere that 'The Enemy Within' is the heaviest track on the album and that the rest follows the more traditional DT path and that it is a fantastic release.

Here is the clip for the first single

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoVAUUFjl0I&feature=c4-overview&list=UUBHhdnYxvu94yefpeZABY9g&utm_medium=email&utm_content=ayotte2506@yahoo.ca&utm_campaign=August-6-2013_DT+Pre-Orders+Now+AVailable&utm_source=DT+Pre-Orders+Now+Available

I like 'em a lot too, and will pick this up for sure. I've enjoyed all their albums (especially 6 Degrees).

Consider me a casual DT fan although I found that after SFAM they went downhill but the Dramatic album really started to pick up the momentum again. I dig this new song and hopefully this new album will be better than the last one

They maybe too widdly for some maybe, but not for me. They're a Brilliant band and always a highlight when they release a new album.

I really liked 'When Dream And Day Unite', but lost interest when they changed singers ... can't really explain it, I guess his voice just isn't for me.

I do enjoy a spot of Prog Metal, though ... oh, yes ...

I really liked 'When Dream And Day Unite', but lost interest when they changed singers ... can't really explain it, I guess his voice just isn't for me.

Oh you don't like Labrie ? I know his wail can scare off some potential listeners but I think he's among the great singers out there and he fits well with DT. Why don't you try the 'Image and Words' album ? That's beautiful album!

• 4 weeks later...

What a cop out! It's not down to the vocals, surely? We've discussed the band before and established that we both hate them. :anon:

It's only personal taste of course and I know loads of people love DT, but I find the music massively boring and self-indulgent. I'm no prog fan, although I do love some Fates Warning and Pallas. DT are really not for me though.

DT could be boring at some point, that I'd agree with you James, at least that's what I'm feeling with Six Degrees and couple of albums afterwards, but I think the early years are really awesome up to SFaM, and the last album is picking up the good thing again.

I'm struggling with Fates Warning but they're definitely an interesting band, so far I'm trying to chew up 'Parallel' and 'Perfect Symmetry' which many cited as their best albums, but so far I came up with only 75% of score, which is quite low if compared to the best years of DT, but that's personal taste :D

I do like some DT songs, but most are ruined by over indulgent 'musical wank' which bears no resemblance or significance towards the song.

The difference between some prog which I love like early Marillion or Threshold is that their musical passages / solos always perfectly compliment the song and enhance it rather than leaving you scratching your head thinking 'what was that all about'

DT has many influences but particularly classic prog with thrash metal, some cited as a rough combo of Yes and Metallica,

add that with some virtuosity of instrument handling, yes I agree to some point, the complex structure is like a confusing maze, but the early years still infuse many melodic passages rather than exploit technicality on post-SFaM days although there are few great moments too in 'Octavarium' album.

We can't deny also that the early prog stuffs, like King Crimson, Genesis, or Yes, also has many head-scratching arrangement, in fact, how we interpret prog stuffs, as an MHR/AOR/hard rock fan, is clearly different than how those folks at progarchives.com do, so the 'what was that all about' for us, sometimes is like 'an incredible song' for them. DT perhaps was intended for them at first, but maybe because of the commercial / ballads that made them accessible too for the casual listeners.

Marillion, in fact, perhaps can be considered as neo-prog, which has pop structure, hence the linear song arrangement that's very easy for non-prog fans to digest. Threshold, maybe similar like early Queensryche or Fates Warning, which incorporated heavy metal more than the prog part. I kinda dig Marillion too but somehow they're too pop, don't you think ? Don't really mind that though, they do have some great stuffs

If there are any songs that are heavy and not a case of, "listen to what we can do with some musical instruments ... for ages and ages and ages", I'll happily check them out, but I don't hold out much hope...

What a cop out! It's not down to the vocals, surely? We've discussed the band before and established that we both hate them. :anon:

It's only personal taste of course and I know loads of people love DT, but I find the music massively boring and self-indulgent. I'm no prog fan, although I do love some Fates Warning and Pallas. DT are really not for me though.

Nope, I've always stuck up for their debut album ... but I just can't get into anything else they've done ... it doesn't help that they're all 'musos musos' (I'm a man of simple tastes.) I have a mate who LOVES them, but then he IS a huge 'prog' fan, and listens to the most bizarre prog stuff I've heard in many a year :)

I'll stick with Grey Lady Down, Pallas, IQ, Galahad, Arena, Marillion, Porcupine Tree .... etc.

The entire album is available for streaming.

http://www.bravewords.com/news/210488

So far I've heard every track except for the epic 22 minute closer and I must say it is another fantastic release. On par with A Dramatic Turn... Still deosn't top my fav release of all time Images And Words, but it should easily sit in my top 5.

My top 5 are probably the following: Images And Words, A Dramatic Turn Of Events, Scenes From A Memory, Octovarium, Awake...and the new one should sneak in there somewhere.

DT could be boring at some point, that I'd agree with you James, at least that's what I'm feeling with Six Degrees and couple of albums afterwards, but I think the early years are really awesome up to SFaM, and the last album is picking up the good thing again.

I'm struggling with Fates Warning but they're definitely an interesting band, so far I'm trying to chew up 'Parallel' and 'Perfect Symmetry' which many cited as their best albums, but so far I came up with only 75% of score, which is quite low if compared to the best years of DT, but that's personal taste :D

I always preferred "Awaken The Guardian". That is the ultimate Fates Warning disc.

I always preferred "Awaken The Guardian". That is the ultimate Fates Warning disc.

For me 'Perfect Symmetry' is hands down their best album. If I was to give scores, I reckon 'Awaken The Guardian' would be 80% and 'Perfect Symmetry' 90%. Such a great album and soooooooo much better than anything DT have ever released. Although as Nightrain says, it's all just personal taste.

If there are any songs that are heavy and not a case of, "listen to what we can do with some musical instruments ... for ages and ages and ages", I'll happily check them out, but I don't hold out much hope...

I can certainly help you out on the Marillion front :) I'm not sure if anything they've ever done would fit in with your definition of 'heavy' (although something like 'Forgotten Sons' probably comes close), but they certainly have their darker moments - both lyrically and musically ... 'White Russian', 'Slainte Mhath', 'Incubus', 'Assassing', 'Fugazi', 'Freaks', 'Tux On', most of the 'Misplaced Childhood' album (the 'hits' aside) ... and Fish's solo work certainly has its moments - the sublime 'Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors' being a case in point ...