Well...what do you think?

I hate to admit this but Sam got me thinking. How real is the threat of your silver press CDs to stop working? I have thousands of dollars in my collection. Have paid over $500 on a cd multiple times. Think about how much some of you have paid for indies? Is this a real threat even in the next ten years?

Below is an article that is very good but clear as mud. It was also published back in 2004 so if anyone can find something newer please post.

I guess the question is, when do you go 100% digital and make your money back off your collection?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3940669.stm

Dan, your thoughts as well?

I doubt it - I've had CDs since 1985 and all the original purchases still play fine.

The first 3 I bought were BJ - s/t, Asia - Heat of the Moment and Marillion - Script

All are still in perfect working order nearly 20 years later.

I doubt it - I've had CDs since 1985 and all the original purchases still play fine.

The first 3 I bought were BJ - s/t, Asia - Heat of the Moment and Marillion - Script

All are still in perfect working order nearly 20 years later.

That was my thought originally as I have cdr's that are over 10-13 years old and have been baking in 100 degree weather for years yet they play fine. That being said I am still concerned. I would assume too that since quality is a factor that with most of my collection being Japan pressings I should be safe. All of my stuff is protected in plastic sleeves as well. Japanese know how to do it...they supposedly have a cdr that will last 100 years. I guess in the end I am willing to pay more for a Japanese press than some of the cheap shit being pressed here. The Japanese don't cut corners on CDs, never have. Might serve as a warning to companies trying to find the cheapest silver press print. Just my opinion....

I've never had a proper cd not function unless it was beat up, however I've thrown out lots of CD-R's that flaked to death or starting skipping. I will admit I treat my real cd's as gold and my CD-R's as crap throw aways.

Most of my CDs are in hibernation! They will probably reappear in 2026 when my kids leave home ;-)

(and I will re discover over 1000 albums of awesome music lol....my poor wife!! Lol)

Most of my CDs are in hibernation! They will probably reappear in 2026 when my kids leave home ;-)

(and I will re discover over 1000 albums of awesome music lol....my poor wife!! Lol)

Lol, me too!

I guess I read somewhere on the compact disc information that CD can offer you a lifetime value if stored and maintained properly so yeah I think I also have some used CDs that's produced even before 1985 and it still plays fine so nothing really to worry about unless it's a bootleg disc maybe, but don't know, usually if bootleg is factory produced and decent quality CD were used, that thing may also have the same lifetime value as original CD too.

The idea is maybe to keep your CDs in a rack that's provided with enough air and lights maybe ? because severe humidity sometimes may affect them and that's the reason maybe why some people has their collection damaged.

I guess I read somewhere on the compact disc information that CD can offer you a lifetime value if stored and maintained properly so yeah I think I also have some used CDs that's produced even before 1985 and it still plays fine so nothing really to worry about unless it's a bootleg disc maybe, but don't know, usually if bootleg is factory produced and decent quality CD were used, that thing may also have the same lifetime value as original CD too.

The idea is maybe to keep your CDs in a rack that's provided with enough air and lights maybe ? because severe humidity sometimes may affect them and that's the reason maybe why some people has their collection damaged.

Actually air and light both are the enemy. A cool, dark place with a clear sealed package is the way to go. Air causes the oxidation process and light ( sunlight) is very bad for the cd.

I believe we are in more danger of losing newer, cheaply pressed CDs than we are the old heavier ones.

Actually air and light both are the enemy. A cool, dark place with a clear sealed package is the way to go.

ha ha in that case mine are in the perfect place..........the loft, lol !!

Actually air and light both are the enemy. A cool, dark place with a clear sealed package is the way to go.

ha ha in that case mine are in the perfect place..........the loft, lol !!

If your loft is cool and dry, you got it! :)

I've never had a proper cd not function unless it was beat up, however I've thrown out lots of CD-R's that flaked to death or starting skipping. I will admit I treat my real cd's as gold and my CD-R's as crap throw aways.

Yep, same here. Never had any issues with original CDs, but I'd never place any faith at all in the lifespan of a CDR. I've had more than enough fail on me after only a year or two, let alone a lifetime. The crackling/skipping in the last 3/4 of the disc seems to be the most common issue I've had.

CDs should be treated with care, just like any other collectible (comic books, baseball cards, etc.). Take good care of 'em and they'll last you a long time. If you mistreat'em then naturally they're gonna get f*cked up.

Think about how much some of you have paid for indies? Is this a real threat even in the next ten years?

Not really an issue for me... the most I've ever paid for a CD was $40 and change (yeah, I'm a cheap ass) so maybe that's why I don't worry about disc rot or age degradation as much as some of y'all.

I guess the question is, when do you go 100% digital and make your money back off your collection?

Not happening for me.... I'm a collector, I like having the actual item(s). I've spent 20+ years building up this collection, and I'm keepin' em all goddammit!

But seriously folks....for whatever it's worth, I'm listening to my CD of Babylon AD's first album right now and for a disc that's now almost a quarter century old (gulp!!) it plays like it just rolled off the assembly line...so I'm not worried about it (or any of my other CDs) giving out anytime soon.

Wouldn't worry about replicated CDs. They will last as long as you take care of them. CD-R is what you worry about. The whole Replicated vs Duplicated longevity discussion is just excuses to be cheap yet still sell at prices higher than a properly pressed CD.