Scorpions to make a 'comeback'

Stefan

From Classic Rock magazine:

Meine: There’s still life in those bloody old Scorpions

scorps.jpg

"Scorpions frontman Klaus Meine has explained why the veteran German band decided to abandon their retirement plans.

Three years ago the Scorps announced that they had decided to wind down their career; now they’ve changed their minds.

In an interview in the new issue of Classic Rock, Meine explained the volte-face as follows: “As the emotion built, it [not retiring] became a gradual decision. It’s one thing to say, ‘This is going to be the end of the Scorpions’ and another to do it. Our Sting In The Tail album [2010] was such a success that a whole new generation of fans joined the party. It was amazing. And you know that with all the best parties it’s sometimes hard to find the door?”

There are plans for a new Scorpions album, featuring leftovers from the early 1980s.

“We started that over a year ago,” Meine confirmed. “It will be material that was never finished; songs with pure Scorpions DNA from a very exciting time. Once we close the book on the crazy touring schedule that’s something we’ll pick up again.”

There may also be an album of all-new Scorpions material in the pipeline.

“At this point nothing is out of the question,” Meine said. “When we said adios with SITT, our label, Sony Music, cried: ‘No, no, no… what about this idea? What about that idea?’ There are some offers you just can’t refuse. I don’t want to say too much right now but I can reassure you there is still life in those bloody old Scorpions.”

He concluded: “We’ll just have to see what’s realistic. We’re working on a documentary movie about the band’s history. We filmed the tour’s big finale in Munich which was very emotional.”

Wow, that is just embarrassing. I think we all saw this coming (though it sure was quick!) so seriously, why the hell did they bother "retiring" in the first place? Silly kids. Anyway, good to hear a new album is pretty much done.

I'm not surprised at all by this news. Hopefully the new (old) material they are working on turns out to be pretty good.

One of my favorite bands off all-time. Very happy to hear the news (officially). Saw them back-to-back nights the summer of 2010... knew then and there from the size and excitement level of the crowds they wouldn't call it a day. Too much money out there from us now 40-somethings to spend :)

Now, please dear God do not ruin the legacy of Blackout and L.A.F.S. by releasing songs "claimed" to have been written back in the day, only to sound like a Justin Beiber album now. I doubt Scorpions will go the way of Bon Jovi... at least I hope not.

I hope it's better than the last one

Which 'Comeblack' or 'Sting..'?

Very good to hear, but not really a surprise. Onwards and upwards as they say.

Can it really be considered a "comeback" if they never, technically, "went away?" <_<

Comeblack is a crappy cover album right ?

I think Sting is a nice album so if they could make something better than that, it's awesome

Comeblack is a crappy cover album right ?

Half covers, half re-recordings of their "Greatest Hits" ... and to be honest, I prefer the cover songs. The re-treads might've been cooler if they'd been more adventurous with their picks (imagine "Steamrock Fever" or "We'll Burn the Sky" with 21st Century production values!) but instead they went with all of the usual suspects - "Hurricane," "Blackout," etc.

I think Sting is a nice album so if they could make something better than that, it's awesome

'Sting..' was a fabulous album and featured very highly that year. If they can come anything close to that, I will be a very happy boy. 'Comeblack' was ok.if a little pointless. The covers of their own tunes were pretty good, but the other cover tunes were pretty forgetable.