Shylock - Walking Tall

Stefan

From AOR Heaven newsletter:

"Shylock is a warrantor for catchy hard rock songs with sing along choruses and also became a top part of the German Hard Rock league.

The two masterminds behind Shylock, Matthias Schenk (voc.) and Johannes Amrhein (git.), have been working together for more than two decades. With their band mates Achim Thiergärtner (dr.) and Bernhard Schwingenstein (b.) they continue to follow their roots and show us again their strengths on album number six which is entitled “Walking Tall”. They deliver what they can do best: catchy and up-to-date Hardrock in the year 2013.

Shylock started as a highly anticipated newcomer (German Rock Hard ‘Unerhört’ band) and established themselves quickly as well known live rock act. In the past Shylock have toured and played numerous shows together with bands like Bonfire, Gotthard, Adler’s Appetite, Roger Chapman, Shakra, Right Said Fred, U.D.O., Primal Fear and more. They went on the road in Germany, Switzerland and Spain.

Certainly, one of the biggest highlights for the band was their TV performance in advance to the farewell-game of world known soccer player Thomas Hässler the year 2005 at the RheinEnergieStadion in Cologne. Shylock performed their song “Farewell” in front of 20.000 people. This show was broadcasted in Germany on TV (DSF).

The four-piece has released five full-length albums so far: Shylock, Pyronized, Welcome To Illusion, Devotion & RockBuster. Although they did have to take a break from playing live due to the family duties – Matthias Schenk and Johannes Amrhein have been working hard on the new release “Walking Tall”.

The new album starts off where “RockBuster” ended and songs like “Walking Tall”, “Rock DNA”, “I Can’t Wait Now”, “Anything” and “Away From Here” etc. show the band’s strength at the best."

Tracklist:

1. Walking Tall

2. Rock DNA

3. I Can’t Wait Now

4. Bridges

5. What It Takes

6. Sad To Know

7. Sliding Through Emotions

8.Taken It Too Far

9. She Came Along My Way

10. Right Now Or Never

11. Away From Here

12. Touch My Soul

13. Anything

Sound clips in advance:

SHYLOCK – I Can’t Wait Now (Edit)

SHYLOCK – Rock Dna (Edit)

SHYLOCK – Walking Tall (Edit)

shylock-cover-web.jpg

Like I said in the other thread, one of the most under-rated bands around at the moment - love them, and those samples only prove why they're worthy of the sexual feelings I have towards the news of a new release.

• 2 months later...

I listened to the first 2 songs on Spotify and it was so generic and cliched I couldn't bear to listen anymore - I mean rock DNA and walking like a rock star - jeez.

I got you Glen, but we have to remember that these bands are aiming at the youth of today in their surrounding Countries. In the 80's when I was a teenager there was some pretty corny songs back then that I loved(Cum on feel the Noise, Metal Health, We're Not gonna Take It, I wanna Rock) just to name a few. I'm going to be 44 and don't want to hear how "YOU'RE GONNA ROCK ME or LETS ROCK TONIGHT! lol

I listened to the first 2 songs on Spotify and it was so generic and cliched I couldn't bear to listen anymore - I mean rock DNA and walking like a rock star - jeez.

I got you Glen, but we have to remember that these bands are aiming at the youth of today in their surrounding Countries. In the 80's when I was a teenager there was some pretty corny songs back then that I loved(Cum on feel the Noise, Metal Health, We're Not gonna Take It, I wanna Rock) just to name a few. I'm going to be 44 and don't want to hear how "YOU'RE GONNA ROCK ME or LETS ROCK TONIGHT! lol

Honestly as soon as a band start singing about rocking or being on the radio or any of that shite I just switch off and lose interest.

Honestly as soon as a band start singing about rocking or being on the radio or any of that shite I just switch off and lose interest.

I hear ya.

I don't pay attention much to the lyrics and song titles nowadays. I mean, if you have some smart and clever lyrics, that's a bonus, but if you wrote some shitty lyrics and can still play a good tune, I can still listen to that but not vice versa. Regarding Shylock, I think after two spins, I can say this album is quite good. At one point, it reminds me of modern day Scorpions, but maybe that's because they're also German. Hard rock stuffs with a slight melodic touch here and there.

'Rock DNA' is a nice anthemic song, 'Sad To Know' is also great and the solo is very nice; 'Taken It Too Far' might be the best track here, and the second half is a bit better except 'She Came Along My Way' which is the worst filler.

'Right Now or Never', 'Away From Here', and the acoustical ballad 'Anything' are among great tracks, but I must admit, half of these are around 7/10 kinda material, except maybe 'Walking Tall', 'I Can't Wait Now', and 'Touch My Soul' which I valued at 7.5. The production could have been better. Try listening to the whole album and I guess it's quite fine overall.

77%

I would have bet that Glen "Hater of Melodic Rock" would hate this (as he will the new very solid Danger Angel) CD. But those not expecting sheer perfection from every single new release will enjoy this one. ;) I'm certainly not going to say this is the best CD ever. In fact, I think it's the weakest of their last 4 discs. 'Welcome to illusion,' 'Devotion' and 'Rock Buster' are 3 fantastic CDs. A lot of killer tracks on each CD and a real nice trio.

But I do feel that this one - though the production is probably the best of the 4 - is probably just missing the few killer tracks that all 3 of those albums have plenty of. I do like that they seem to have nailed the production this time round. It's been pretty compressed for the last two CDs but this one sounds pretty killer. I'll spin it plenty more times to assess the situation, but I think this might not be quite as awesome as I hoped. But is still very good. I think I'll probably agree around 75%. A very good band.

I would have bet that Glen "Hater of Melodic Rock" would hate this (as he will the new very solid Danger Angel) CD. But those not expecting sheer perfection from every single new release will enjoy this one. ;) I'm certainly not going to say this is the best CD ever. In fact, I think it's the weakest of their last 4 discs. 'Welcome to illusion,' 'Devotion' and 'Rock Buster' are 3 fantastic CDs. A lot of killer tracks on each CD and a real nice trio.

But I do feel that this one - though the production is probably the best of the 4 - is probably just missing the few killer tracks that all 3 of those albums have plenty of. I do like that they seem to have nailed the production this time round. It's been pretty compressed for the last two CDs but this one sounds pretty killer. I'll spin it plenty more times to assess the situation, but I think this might not be quite as awesome as I hoped. But is still very good. I think I'll probably agree around 75%. A very good band.

could I just edit that to 'hater of sub standard melodic rock'

Sorry mate but I just havent got the cash or the inclination to listen to this type of album, which is probably a 70% at best, when there is such awesomeness as WET, Pretty Maids and Hardcore Superstar just around the corner, which will all obliterate this.

No doubt at all there will be 10 or even 20 truly killer melodic rock releases this year. I appreciate only wanting to hear the best but I personally don't only listen to 9/10 and 10/10 music. And let's face it, if we look back at some of the albums from the 80's we dig, not everything was perfect or close to it. I still like to find the time to appreciate the quality artists out there, even if they are not flawless.

I don't pay attention much to the lyrics and song titles nowadays. I mean, if you have some smart and clever lyrics, that's a bonus, but if you wrote some shitty lyrics and can still play a good tune, I can still listen to that but not vice versa. Regarding Shylock, I think after two spins, I can say this album is quite good. At one point, it reminds me of modern day Scorpions, but maybe that's because they're also German. Hard rock stuffs with a slight melodic touch here and there.

'Rock DNA' is a nice anthemic song, 'Sad To Know' is also great and the solo is very nice; 'Taken It Too Far' might be the best track here, and the second half is a bit better except 'She Came Along My Way' which is the worst filler.

'Right Now or Never', 'Away From Here', and the acoustical ballad 'Anything' are among great tracks, but I must admit, half of these are around 7/10 kinda material, except maybe 'Walking Tall', 'I Can't Wait Now', and 'Touch My Soul' which I valued at 7.5. The production could have been better. Try listening to the whole album and I guess it's quite fine overall.

77%

I do like the album.

No doubt at all there will be 10 or even 20 truly killer melodic rock releases this year. I appreciate only wanting to hear the best but I personally don't only listen to 9/10 and 10/10 music. And let's face it, if we look back at some of the albums from the 80's we dig, not everything was perfect or close to it. I still like to find the time to appreciate the quality artists out there, even if they are not flawless.

Agree !

Ha ha mate.....yeah I agree to a certain extent, but the fact is I listened through this whole album last night on Spotify and whilst there were 2 or 3 worthy songs, for the main part it was pretty painful. Also some very boomy off putting production going on too. I doubt i'll bother to rate this to be honest but I reckon 60-65% at a push.

Just pretty average Euro melodic hard rock.

Ha ha mate.....yeah I agree to a certain extent, but the fact is I listened through this whole album last night on Spotify and whilst there were 2 or 3 worthy songs, for the main part it was pretty painful. Also some very boomy off putting production going on too. I doubt i'll bother to rate this to be honest but I reckon 60-65% at a push.

Fair enough, mate. Honestly, like I said, this isn't their best CD at all... a bit of a step back from their previous work. I can appreciate you not loving this.

But you reckon Shakra are any better, though? I can promise you that stuff like this, Edge, Diamond Dawn and Danger Angel all destroy Shakra, which I note that you spent time with. Honestly, to each their own. I would not begrudge someone from filtering their music so that only the best gets heard, but from someone who listens to a lot of stuff, I can assure that this is nowhere near the bottom of the pack in what's actually being released in the world of hard rock. As much as you may hate to hear it, bands like Shylock still make up the top approx 20% in the genre, imo.

Mmm, I wouldnt say that I love Shakra. Their albums are very inconsistent. The newie is another mixed affair with a couple of stand out tracks but also a lot of forgettable stuff too. Again probably around a 70%-75% from me.

Their last album was the same too - 2 absolute killer tracks in 'Crazy' and 'Back On Track' but again some more average stuff filling out the album. If they could release a whole album of tracks as good as 'Crazy' or 'Save You From Yourself' you would be looking at one of the albums of the year.

Fair enough, mate. Honestly, like I said, this isn't their best CD at all... a bit of a step back from their previous work. I can appreciate you not loving this.

But you reckon Shakra are any better, though? I can promise you that stuff like this, Edge, Diamond Dawn and Danger Angel all destroy Shakra, which I note that you spent time with. Honestly, to each their own. I would not begrudge someone from filtering their music so that only the best gets heard, but from someone who listens to a lot of stuff, I can assure that this is nowhere near the bottom of the pack in what's actually being released in the world of hard rock. As much as you may hate to hear it, bands like Shylock still make up the top approx 20% in the genre, imo.

I agree Geoff, I'm in the USA, and for me Bands like Shylock, Shakra and others are heaven sent. I will take an average album from these bands any day of the week over 90% of the American bands making music today in the States!!!

How is that relevant? When we are getting 50-100 releases a year in our genre this album just ain't cutting it - doesn't matter what the rest of the US is releasing.

There's no way this would even make my top 40 this year I reckon. The vocals are weak, the production is boomy and the songs are in the main part just average rockers.

How is that relevant? When we are getting 50-100 releases a year in our genre this album just ain't cutting it - doesn't matter what the rest of the US is releasing.

There's no way this would even make my top 40 this year I reckon. The vocals are weak, the production is boomy and the songs are in the main part just average rockers.

Relevant to me, since this kind of music is not made here anymore. I admit, it's not Fantastic or anything like that. Considering what I get to hear on mainstream radio(which I don't really listen to anyway) is not of our genre, I'll take an average album of our genre over a # 1 album of a Modern rock band.I do like Modern rock bands(Shinedown and such) but I love my genre and that is what I want to hear.

Relevant to me, since this kind of music is not made here anymore. I admit, it's not Fantastic or anything like that. Considering what I get to hear on mainstream radio(which I don't really listen to anyway) is not of our genre, I'll take an average album of our genre over a # 1 album of a Modern rock band.I do like Modern rock bands(Shinedown and such) but I love my genre and that is what I want to hear.

Yeah granted, but my point is there will be loads of better releases in 'our genre' this year to spend your hard earned cash on.