Hines Ward needs to be a Steeler

66 mustang

I hated when The Broncos had to let Shannon Sharpe and Steve Atwater go to other teams. It just pisses you off as a fan.

I was happy to see the Broncos let Sharpe go. I'm just glad he decided to sign with Baltimore. He was a big part of the Ravens run through the playoffs and he helped propel them to a Super Bowl victory. Though he wasn't in Baltimore long, Sharpe appeared to be the ultimate TEAM player.

Can't say I've ever liked, even respected, Ward. That said, I HATE seeing this symptom of the NFL (and sports in general) just being big business and something happening that would never have happened years ago.

Also, if Ward is willing to take a pay cut, agree with the man to sign him if he'll retire at year's end and let him end his career as a Steeler. (To me, it rings so hollow if they let a player leave and then quickly resign him so he can announce his retirement with the team.)

I know he was one of the best cheapshot artists in NFL history. I'll be glad to see him hang 'em up, although he wasn't much of a factor this past season.

Ha Ha, because someone plays hard and is not afraid to his they are labled dirty? so funny but so what is wrong with the NFL now. everybody is turning soft. I know it is for player safety (i guess) but really???? Ward played thru the whistle, not after the whitle, ulnike Shu up in Detroit. they reigh him in and he will be a great player

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/11/04/dirty/index.html

Dirtiest NFL player: Steelers' Ward

By Richard Deitsch, SI.com

Hines Ward is the dirtiest player in the NFL, according to a Sports Illustrated poll of 296 players released this week.

The Steelers' wide receiver, long considered the league's best blocking wide receiver, received 11.6 percent of the vote. He was followed by Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth (6.0), Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter (6.0), Bengals safety Roy Williams (5.1) and Titans center Kevin Mawae (4.6). Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan (4.2), Rams guard Richie Incognito (3.7), Falcons guard Harvey Dahl (3.7), Steelers safety Troy Polamalu (3.7) and Vikings defensive end Jared Allen (3.2) rounded out the top 10.

Ward, 33, has a long history of physical play. Last October, he was fined $15,000 for hits in back-to-back weeks that weren't penalized during the game. Later that month, Ward broke the jaw of Bengals rookie linebacker Keith Rivers with a surprise downfield block. The hit, which ended Rivers' season, did not draw a flag. "That's what he's known for," Bengals safety Chinedum Ndukwe said. "He's a blind-side guy."

Discussing his reputation with SI last year, Ward said, "It's hard to sit there and tell everybody it's a violent sport but tone it down a little. When I go across the middle, those guys aren't going to tackle me softly and lay me down to the ground. That's not football. I find it ironic that now you see a receiver delivering blows, and it's an issue. But I haven't changed. I've been doing it this way for 11 years."

The poll was conducted in September and included some well-known names in the top 20: Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis (3.2 percent), Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman (2.3 percent) and Jets linebacker Bart Scott (2.3 percent). Former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison, who retired last summer, received three votes.

The Broncos' Brandon Marshall, the only other receiver listed in the poll, received one vote. No running backs were selected, but one quarterback did get a vote: the Titans' Vince Young.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/11/04/dirty/index.html#ixzz1mBaDBiKg

I think that is all you need to know, Linebackers whining because a WR is hurting them? please. these guys wouldn't stand a chance of being starters back in the 60's and 70's then. no flags were thrown, which means that after the crying went on the league fined him for what was at the time legal hits. :popcorn:

I've never seen him do anything but play hard and play physical. i've never seen him go after a plyaer to try to hurt them outside the rules of the game.

and a poll of only 296 players? you can pick and choose players that have had run in's with other certain players and make the poll to show any result you want. do most of the polls in Cincinati, Baltimore and cleveland and you wihh have more votes for ward because of the rivalery's with them teams. give me a poll of 1000 players spread all over the league. If a team has a 53 man roster and you have 32 teams and you only poll 296 players that is a small % of NFL players. 53x32 is how many players?

I think it comes down to if you are a steelers fan you see a guy giving 100% every play and plays the WR position like a LB. if you are a fan of the other team you don't see WR's play this way and WR's lay LB's out on the field so it must be dirty play. So, it is in the eye of the beholder I guess. So if they want to call him the dirtest player in the game so be it.

I hated when The Broncos had to let Shannon Sharpe and Steve Atwater go to other teams. It just pisses you off as a fan.

I was happy to see the Broncos let Sharpe go. I'm just glad he decided to sign with Baltimore. He was a big part of the Ravens run through the playoffs and he helped propel them to a Super Bowl victory. Though he wasn't in Baltimore long, Sharpe appeared to be the ultimate TEAM player.

Oh no doubt he is a big time team player and a big voice in any locker room for a team to rally around. He did come back to Denver prior to retiring and they did the same with Atwater but with Atwater it was a one game deal to let him retire a Bronco where Shannon played a couple of more seasons. It just sucks to see guys have to go somewhere else due to the business side of things. But it is a business and considering how the teams treat players contracts are don't have to honor them I can't blame guys for wanting to go get their $$$.

I could see Hines was not playing any where near 100% this season and of course he is getting up there in the age department, but being a fan, I want him to retire a Steeler. It will be sad to see him get shuffled off and play a season or two for another team and then go out in a fizzle. I better go nab a jersey before they become obsolete.

Dirty player? I can see how some fans, especially those of rival teams could skew his GREAT play as dirty. This is usually the case for lesser athletes to try and make them selves "look" better.

I love (d) watching him play and his demeanor made it all the better. Never saw Hines without a smile on his face, even after he get's/got his bell rung.

Ward's a franchise player and the Steeler's ownership need to acknowledge this and make Wards ease into retirement a positive move by being a Steeler til the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't come knockin' in Baltimore Hines... We don't want you.

Don't come knockin' in Baltimore Hines... We don't want you.

:agree:

I think it would be the Rave's knocking on HW's door, but I digress...

This is a crying shame. I don't get the decision and it saddens me too my core. :(

That said come play in Seattle Hines we could use you!

this was a nice little write up but I expect much better to come. Ward's jersey is the only NFL jersey that I've ever bought. The one time face of the franchise is having to move on.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/hines-ward-released-14-seasons-pittsburgh-233153191.html;_ylt=Av2VJrMcLVc5.TOcYWWDqshDubYF

HinesWard22912.jpg

Still uber sad news...

As I mentioned up the thread Seattle could use him and I think when Hines hangs up his cleats he will move into the booth obviously America loves him not only from being an amazing player, but from Dancing With The Stars as well...

Funny you mentioned the only jersey you bought, just around Christmas time I was looking at jersey's, I don't and have never had any and I was telling myself the whole time it HAD to be a Hine's jersey, but then I saw how much $$$$ and I changed my mind...

Still uber sad news...

As I mentioned up the thread Seattle could use him and I think when Hines hangs up his cleats he will move into the booth obviously America loves him not only from being an amazing player, but from Dancing With The Stars as well...

Funny you mentioned the only jersey you bought, just around Christmas time I was looking at jersey's, I don't and have never had any and I was telling myself the whole time it HAD to be a Hine's jersey, but then I saw how much $$$$ and I changed my mind...

Looks like the Steelers are cleaning house. A couple more veterans cut today.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got to thinking with free agency starting today... I sure hope Hiney doesn't end up in Arizona.