Sammy Hagar Continues To Blast New Van Halen Album

edwithmj

Rocker Sammy Hagar has blasted his former Van Halen bandmates' comeback album, revealing it left him cold and unimpressed when he heard it.

The band's former frontman was not asked to be part of the group's 2012 plans and now he's glad he missed out because he's convinced the band's February album will leave fans feeling cheated.

He tells Radio Metal, "What I've heard so far, I wasn't impressed with at all, personally... I think they chose to take the easy route and take some of their old stuff and re-record it instead of writing new songs... I don't think the fans are going to be happy with it.

"I couldn't care less if it's the biggest album of the year; that wouldn't be important to me. What is important to me is that, as artists, why would you do that? They haven't released an album since my last album in something like 1991 or 1992, and then they just go back. To me, it makes a strange statement, it kind of says, 'We don't have anything, we're not a band anymore, we're not creative.'

"To be honest with you, the last time I was around those guys was in 2004 on the reunion. It was a disaster, it was horrible... I don't know what they're thinking, to be honest with you."

And Hagar believes the pressure to record finally got to his former bandmates: "I don't think they had any choice. If they had had a choice they would've done all new stuff. From today. They would've written together like a band... I think there's zero inspiration and zero creativity."

Replacing Hagar and longtime Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony in the group is original singer David Lee Roth and Van Halen's son Wolfgang.

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/news/01007.shtml

Hagar is just jealous and bitter, because the new VH will sell 10 times more than both Chickenfoot put together and the new VH is also a hell of alot better.

I loved Hagar with VH and I don't think he was treated fairly, but no matter how he left the band, he should relax, drink a margarita in Cabo Wabo and take the high road. Now he's making himself look like Tiger Woods old caddy, who keeps shooting himself in the foot.

Hagar is just jealous and bitter, because the new VH will sell 10 times more than both Chickenfoot put together and the new VH is also a hell of alot better.

I loved Hagar with VH and I don't think he was treated fairly, but no matter how he left the band, he should relax, drink a margarita in Cabo Wabo and take the high road. Now he's making himself look like Tiger Woods old caddy, who keeps shooting himself in the foot.

I'll reflect on his comments once I've heard the album in full - he may have a point, we'll see.

I'll reflect on his comments once I've heard the album in full - he may have a point, we'll see.

But it doesn't matter whether he's right or wrong, you still don't do that. Even if the album was shit and sold nothing you still keep your opinions to yourself and rise above it. Otherwise you'll just be seen as a sad and bitter old man who wishes he'd got the call.

I agree with Sammy rehased older stuff that I already have as demos...nothing new....what a waste of time..Van Halen had their day..lets move on!!! :party421::beerbang::drink:

But that's it DEMO! versions, are you not happy to have good quality versions of some good songs?

But it doesn't matter whether he's right or wrong, you still don't do that. Even if the album was shit and sold nothing you still keep your opinions to yourself and rise above it. Otherwise you'll just be seen as a sad and bitter old man who wishes he'd got the call.

Agreed. This just shows he's spiteful.

My few comments on the subject:

I personally think a hell of a lot of bands these days could benefit from digging back into the archives and re-recording some of their older, over-looked songs. I can never think of examples when I need them, but there's no finer example than Vain's 'Enough Rope' album from last year, featuring 2 of their best songs yet in 'Cindy' and 'Worship you.' Both over 20 years old, but they sound amazing finally given the life they deserved.

And who can honestly say that an album of re-recorded old demos that Blue Tears had recorded would not have been 10 times better than 'The Innocent Ones?' The fact is, a lot of those bands wrote a lot of great songs in their prime... and because of whatever constraints or individual opinions at the time, a lot of killer songs were no doubt never released back then. I'd LOVE to see them all come to life finally.

All I mean to say is, I really don't see how re-recording old unreleased songs is a bad thing. I actually kind of like it.

Now, in saying that, the new Van Halen album is crap. It really is. Terrible, for the most part. But so were their old ones. ;) Whether this is any worse than their older albums, or worse than the equally uninspiring Chickenfoot albums, well time will tell. I'm just surprised that people are now only realising that Van Halen suck. ;) Because aside from that small handful of a few really commercial tracks they recorded with Hagar, this just sounds like Van Halen to me - bad as ever.

Oh, and wow, does DLR sound really awful or what?

I personally think a hell of a lot of bands these days could benefit from digging back into the archives and re-recording some of their older, over-looked songs. I can never think of examples when I need them, but there's no finer example than Vain's 'Enough Rope' album from last year, featuring 2 of their best songs yet in 'Cindy' and 'Worship you.' Both over 20 years old, but they sound amazing finally given the life they deserved.

And who can honestly say that an album of re-recorded old demos that Blue Tears had recorded would not have been 10 times better than 'The Innocent Ones?' The fact is, a lot of those bands wrote a lot of great songs in their prime... and because of whatever constraints or individual opinions at the time, a lot of killer songs were no doubt never released back then. I'd LOVE to see them all come to life finally.

All I mean to say is, I really don't see how re-recording old unreleased songs is a bad thing. I actually kind of like it.

Now, in saying that, the new Van Halen album is crap. It really is. Terrible, for the most part. But so were their old ones. ;) Whether this is any worse than their older albums, or worse than the equally uninspiring Chickenfoot albums, well time will tell. I'm just surprised that people are now only realising that Van Halen suck. ;) Because aside from that small handful of a few really commercial tracks they recorded with Hagar, this just sounds like Van Halen to me - bad as ever.

Yeah, but its only 'crap' in your opinion.

The fact of the matter is that they have come out and recorded an album with the classic Van Halen sound which should appeal to their fans.

They cannot be criticised for that.

To be honest DLR doesnt sound any better or worse than he did in 1984.

The fact of the matter is that they have come out and recorded an album with the classic Van Halen sound which should appeal to their fans.

Yeah, of course it's only my opinion - and always has been when it comes to Van Halen. I have tried and tried, but I truly do not "get" their appeal. How a band can write that many fillers on every single CD and get away with it... ah, I should stop - it just blows my mind. They are a real mystery to me, but we still agree that this is clearly a Van Halen album that is true to their "classic" *vomit* sound, so I will be puzzled deeply to see people dislike this when they are so fond of their older albums.

I feel that nostalgia will probably play a large part in opinions on this. I can appreciate that growing up with music will make it dear to some, but maybe now, sitting back and seeing what they really sound like with a batch of new tracks in that same stlye, with fresh and mature ears... maybe it'll tweak that perhaps they did actually just suck all along, and not just now. ;):lol:

I do hope no one takes my words too seriously. I do think the album sucks and that they have always sucked, but it is just my opinion and I do get a kick out of hearing how awful they are and trying to understand how people twist these tracks into something worthwhile... but it's just me being a creep. Listen and enjoy, if you can. :)

Yeah, of course it's only my opinion - and always has been when it comes to Van Halen. I have tried and tried, but I truly do not "get" their appeal. How a band can write that many fillers on every single CD and get away with it... ah, I should stop - it just blows my mind. They are a real mystery to me, but we still agree that this is clearly a Van Halen album that is true to their "classic" *vomit* sound, so I will be puzzled deeply to see people dislike this when they are so fond of their older albums.

I feel that nostalgia will probably play a large part in opinions on this. I can appreciate that growing up with music will make it dear to some, but maybe now, sitting back and seeing what they really sound like with a batch of new tracks in that same stlye, with fresh and mature ears... maybe it'll tweak that perhaps they did actually just suck all along, and not just now. ;):lol:

I do hope no one takes my words too seriously. I do think the album sucks and that they have always sucked, but it is just my opinion and I do get a kick out of hearing how awful they are and trying to understand how people twist these tracks into something worthwhile... but it's just me being a creep. Listen and enjoy, if you can. :)

You being a creep....now that's a stretch. :lol:

The year is early there will be plenty of releases that we'll all go bonkers over. It wouldn't be sane if we agreed on everything. For example, I like big boobed blondes, some guys don't and I can live with that....even though it's completely wrong in every way possible.

The year is early there will be plenty of releases that we'll all go bonkers over. It wouldn't be sane if we agreed on everything. For example, I like big boobed blonde guys even though it's completely wrong in every way possible.

That would explain your love of Marcie Free?

The year is early there will be plenty of releases that we'll all go bonkers over. It wouldn't be sane if we agreed on everything. For example, I like big boobed blonde guys even though it's completely wrong in every way possible.

That would explain your love of Marcie Free?

She don't complain when I can touch her sexy Adam's apple from the inside.

It think I just threw up in mouth...Yuck!!! :puke:

The year is early there will be plenty of releases that we'll all go bonkers over. It wouldn't be sane if we agreed on everything. For example, I like big boobed blondes, some guys don't and I can live with that....even though it's completely wrong in every way possible.

Wrong, or homosexual? I think we both know the answer to that.

I have some sympathy for Sammy over this situation, we have no idea how much shit went down over the years between Sammy and VH and in his place we might blow off some steam as well...I have no doubt he will admit to it being unprofessional once he cools down...I always find these things to be amusing :lol: