Metal Evolution

heaven&hell

This is the same guy, Sam Dunn, that did the documentary Metal:A Headbangers Journey as well as the new Rush Doc. This is I think something like a 10 part documentary that started back in November that has been pretty cool and follows the beginning of Metal and Hard Rock and each week follows a different scene. The newest episode was about Thrash and prior to that had been Glam(mostly focusing on the LA scene) and NWOBHM. I love that this guy is out there doing these docs as even though I know most of what is said there is much that I learn. The Thrash one had many interviews with key players from the scene like Gary Holt, Lars, Mustaine and many others. My only complaint was that besides a short interview with Blitz from Overkill that band was hardly mentioned. Plus not much discussion about the bands from Germany either. At the end of the episode there was talk about the resurgence from the Gothenberg scene as well as US bands like Lamb of God. I was hoping there would be a seperate episode about these two newer scenes. The glam episode was very good too and it was interesting to here Sam's veiws on his hatred of Glam and how he walked away with more respect for the musicians after meeting them all and he seemed to get along very well with Ricki Rockett of all people. I'll be buying this when it comes out on DVD and I hope for extra interviews and other bonus stuff. It's just great that VH1 Classic is airing stuff like this as well as other Hard Rock and Metal documentaries and of course That Metal Show. :headbanger:

I've seen bits and parts of each episode thus far but haven't had time to sit and watch any of'em in their entirety yet. Dunn knows his shit.

I guess at some point when all 11 eps have aired, VH1 Classic will inevitably show a marathon of the whole damn series and I'll just record it so I can watch'em at my leisure.

I was very pleased to see my old friend John Gallagher from Raven getting some air time in the NWOBHM episode!! Though I gotta say, it irritated me to hear Dunn, rather than saying "New Wave of British Heavy Metal," constantly pronouncing the "N.W.O.B.H.M." acronym as if it were a word ("Noo-wob-him")... it sounded stupid.

I've seen bits and parts of each episode thus far but haven't had time to sit and watch any of'em front to back yet.

I guess at some point when all 11 eps have aired, VH1 Classic will inevitably show a marathon of the whole damn series and I'll just record it so I can watch'em at my leisure.

I was very pleased to see my old friend John Gallagher from Raven getting some air time in the NWOBHM episode!!

They ran a marathon this weekend but Im sure they'll do it again.

• 4 weeks later...

The ep this week on Power Metal was pretty good.

many interviews with Hammerfall Udo Strato Blind Guardian Ross the Boss Matt Sinner Kai Hansen among others. The comment he made about Malmsteen knowing he's a legend and maybe that's the problem was priceless. Also thought it was odd that Joey Demaio blew off his interview several times. What an asshole....

Caught most of the Power Metal episode last night (as usual, I stumbled on it whilst channel surfing so I missed the first ten minutes or so)... pretty good stuff. Nice to see Helloween get some love (even tho every film clip they showed of 'em was at least 20 years old cuz they all had Kiske in them)... and yeah, Joey DeMaio was a bag of douche for standing Dunn up like that.

• 1 month later...

I have all of the episodes in my PVR. And I was quite surprised that I liked the last episode in which Sam delved into progressive metal (which I hate). Great interview with Steve Hackett (also a very rare early 70s footage showing Steve doing a right hand on the fingerboard tapping).

I have all of the episodes in my PVR. And I was quite surprised that I liked the last episode in which Sam delved into progressive metal (which I hate). Great interview with Steve Hackett (also a very rare early 70s footage showing Steve doing a right hand on the fingerboard tapping).

The Progressive Metal episode was great up until it got to the later-era stuff like Meshuggah, Dillinger Escape Plan, etc.

...how is Dillinger Escape Plan considered a "progressive" band? They sound like a trunk load of musical equipment falling down an elevator shaft. :blink:

The Progressive Metal episode was great up until it got to the later-era stuff like Meshuggah, Dillinger Escape Plan, etc.

...how is Dillinger Escape Plan considered a "progressive" band? They sound like a trunk load of musical equipment falling down an elevator shaft. :blink:

AGREE with the Dillinger Escape Plan. I just don't know what kind of "music" is that. Though, I liked that Meshuggah.

• 1 month later...

I loved the Power Metal episode but wish I didn't get the feeling that he was almost making fun of it. I'd love a full documentary on that genre or even better a full doc on Helloween! But I'd be happy with a Get Thrashed type doc on the beginnings of Power Metal. It's not all about swords and scorcery!

I saw that Amazon is carrying dvd's for this. Oh, check that, dvr's. That's right, burned discs and many of the people that have purchased them complained about defects.

I saw that Amazon is carrying dvd's for this. Oh, check that, dvr's. That's right, burned discs and many of the people that have purchased them complained about defects.

I can't believe Amazon is selling dvdr's what the f@#k.

You really have to pay attention before you buy someting over there these days. :screwy:

Have finally managed to watch most of this series, except episodes 1,2,4 which will hopefully be repeated soon. Have found it pretty enjoyable for the most parts.

Have finally managed to watch most of this series, except episodes 1,2,4 which will hopefully be repeated soon. Have found it pretty enjoyable for the most parts.

Yeah its been pretty good with some interesting content - learnt a few things as well. Must admit tho that I could barely watch the grunge eipsode - man what a pile of crap!!

Must admit tho that I could barely watch the grunge eipsode - man what a pile of crap!!

i didn`t find it particularly appealing either! The previous episeodes have been pretty good though :tumbsup:

Yeah its been pretty good with some interesting content - learnt a few things as well. Must admit tho that I could barely watch the grunge eipsode - man what a pile of crap!!

With ya there bar the Pearl Jam bit, which was ok. I loved the way the majority of these so called (and I use the word loosely) 'bands' Deny their heritage in all the metal/ Hard Rock bands that came before them and thought they were doing something completely new. Thank merry Christ that scene only lasted a relatively short while.

With ya there bar the Pearl Jam bit, which was ok. I loved the way the majority of these so called (and I use the word loosely) 'bands' Deny their heritage in all the metal/ Hard Rock bands that came before them and thought they were doing something completely new. Thank merry Christ that scene only lasted a relatively short while.

Amen! :bowdown:

I actually didn't mind the grunge one too much, but I couldn't make it past the fifteen minute mark on the Nu-Metal episode. :puke:

My bro and I were discussing this series a few days ago and we both agreed that the biggest douche had to be Joe Elliott in the NWOBHM episode, for his comment that Def Leppard "didn't want to be lumped in" with the NWOBHM bands because they "didn't want people to think we were stupid," or words to that effect.

F*ck off Joe, you look like an elderly lesbian nowadays and your "Oh no, we were never a metal band" nonsense is getting old. :cussing:

• My Little Pony

I've found these episodes streaming for free online.

MTV's site for the States, Much Music for Canada, and I'm certain there's a site streaming these for you blokes across the pond.

I actually didn't mind the grunge one too much, but I couldn't make it past the fifteen minute mark on the Nu-Metal episode. :puke:

My bro and I were discussing this series a few days ago and we both agreed that the biggest douche had to be Joe Elliott in the NWOBHM episode, for his comment that Def Leppard "didn't want to be lumped in" with the NWOBHM bands because they "didn't want people to think we were stupid," or words to that effect.

F*ck off Joe, you look like an elderly lesbian nowadays and your "Oh no, we were never a metal band" nonsense is getting old. :cussing:

As usual you are spot on. Joe does look like a lesbian and his stupid comments need to stop. I hated nu metal as well and didnt mind the grunge either.

Amen! :bowdown:

Yeah quite, and what irked me even more were these bands slating the likes of Creed and Nickelback as being shit second generation rip offs, because they actually had some melody. Ive never been the biggest fan of Creed but when their song came on it was abreath of fresh air....that's how bad some of the other stuff was.

And one more thought - is Chris Cornell wasted in that Soundgarden comeback or what??! Such an awesome voice playing and singing shit songs :screwy:

As usual you are spot on. Joe does look like a lesbian

Def_Leppard_823828a.jpg

"'Ello, I'm Josephine. My life partner Sophie and I run a natural foods business and own twenty cats."