Grand design

Glen

Sorry if there's already a thread, but I couldnt find one.

If you havent heard it yet check this excellent ballad from the new album.....seriously one of the best ballads Ive heard this year. Excellent stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myQEI6HolT0

Had it downloaded to listen to in Tonga, but I picked up a pre-order at Amazon on the weekend so I'll wait for the real thing (in mid November, as I understand it? :( ).

At the moment I have about 12-15 genuinely exciting new releases on pre-order or on the way to me as I speak. This is one I'm really looking forward to. Crazy how many upcoming CDs at the moment are legit "blind purchases." Most I've seen in a huge while. Can't wait till they all arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

Good stuff....love the similarities to Def Leppard...

Sorry lads but I think this is not that good at all. It sounds dated to me. Seather's production sounds almost vintage. He tries so much to sound like the mighty Mutt that it sounds like it was done in the end of the eighties with alot of effects used at that time. He did the same with the latest Bai Bang album, which I love by the way. But the production and mixing isn't that good IMO. The songs arn't that bad on the GD disc but they try too much to sound like Leppard. Just my three,,,

Sorry lads but I think this is not that good at all. It sounds dated to me. Seather's production sounds almost vintage. He tries so much to sound like the mighty Mutt that it sounds like it was done in the end of the eighties with alot of effects used at that time. He did the same with the latest Bai Bang album, which I love by the way. But the production and mixing isn't that good IMO. The songs arn't that bad on the GD disc but they try too much to sound like Leppard. Just my three,,,

It's my understanding that GD wish to sound like DL as much as possible.

I personally like Seather's work as he's also on the latest White Widdow album :)

Well that's an understatement. I think they should be lucky if Def Leppard doesn't sue them over "Addiction For Love" - TOTAL "Love Bites" rip-off.

I really quite dislike this album and just about every song on it. Haven't heard the debut, but this in no way gave me any urge to check it out.

Well that's an understatement. I think they should be lucky if Def Leppard doesn't sue them over "Addiction For Love" - TOTAL "Love Bites" rip-off.

I really quite dislike this album and just about every song on it. Haven't heard the debut, but this in no way gave me any urge to check it out.

Unsure what DL would gain from sueing a band like GD... & if should they persue it, I'd be curios to know their thoughts on Loud Lion among a few other bands.

In this day & age, if you listen closely to some of the albums you've bought, you'll find some interesting similarities with past albums of other artists.

Unsure what DL would gain from sueing a band like GD... & if should they persue it, I'd be curios to know their thoughts on Loud Lion among a few other bands.

In this day & age, if you listen closely to some of the albums you've bought, you'll find some interesting similarities with past albums of other artists.

Someone should sue Def Leppard for being so shite now

Someone should sue Def Leppard for being so shite now

how true it is :christmas:

I've pre-ordered this on Amazon too and cannot wait for it. Loved the debut and by the sounds of it they haven't skipped a beat. Excitement is me.

• 3 weeks later...

Got this one yesterday and spun it right off the bat. If you loved the debut... well, I don't think you'll like this quite as much... but you'll enjoy it for sure. With regard to the production, I think the disc sounds excellent. I think that in trying to sound like Def Leppard they pulled off a great sounding disc. And on the contrary, I think that was Bai Bang's biggest fault this year. They tried to record a CD with a big DL style, but it was way off the mark and ended up emphasizing just how much they missed the mark.

But anyway, to the songs and the CD. I do have one issue with this band. On the good side, the vocals are a little (and I mean a little ;) ) bit clearer and easier to understand this time around. Musically and song-wise it's very good; very consistent. Impossible to dislike if you like 'Hysteria' era Def Leppard. But here is my problem with them. And in reflection, I had this issue with Def Leppard for a while too (with songs like 'Animal,' 'Rocket,' 'Armageddon' etc). They write stupid lyrics with stupid subject matters, which is fine, but I find it's really hard to care about the lyrics they're offering. They write nice songs, but the lyrics are so throwaway that they barely register and if they do they're in and out an ear in an instant.

I know it's a hard call given the genre/s we listen to, and not everyone can get it right like Steel Panther ( ;)... but you know I'm serious) but I just wish I cared more about what these guys were singing about.

Anyway, all that drama aside... it's a nice disc. Like a lot of sophomores this year, it does not top the debut, but it's very good and I really hope these guys keep this up because I could surely do with a new album like this every year.

• 2 months later...

I checked this one out (luckily I didn't buy it), and it's just not my thing at all. Weak production, poor vocals, and some dated-sounding songs (probably because of the production). Not horrendous at all, but - given the hype - I thought this would be much better. I'll stick to Grand Illusion...

I think the production was meant to be dated because they want to emulate the classic DEF LEPPARD sound. But I think this has down to 75% after 4-5 spins for me, still pretty good, especially if you're into classic DL, at least better than DL themselves nowadays.

I checked this one out (luckily I didn't buy it), and it's just not my thing at all. Weak production, poor vocals, and some dated-sounding songs (probably because of the production). Not horrendous at all, but - given the hype - I thought this would be much better. I'll stick to Grand Illusion...

thats weak too imo

thats weak too imo

'Prince of Paupers' ? that's a great album Glen!

thats weak too imo

Backed. Though clearly they are a love them/hate them type of band. I'd take them over Grand Design any day of the week...

thats weak too imo

Backed. Though clearly they are a love them/hate them type of band. I'd take them over Grand Design any day of the week...

vocalist annoys me...too screechy.

I rated Illusion and Design of Grand proportions pretty much the same last year. The best songs are on the Grand Illusion CD, imo, but the worst songs are also definitely on that disc too. Grand Design are a good solid band. My only issue, like I said above, is being unable to connect with them on a lyrical level, at all. Otherwise, I like them a lot. Like I ranked them, I just prefer them over Grand Illusion.

I rated Illusion and Design of Grand proportions pretty much the same last year. The best songs are on the Grand Illusion CD, imo, but the worst songs are also definitely on that disc too. Grand Design are a good solid band. My only issue, like I said above, is being unable to connect with them on a lyrical level, at all. Otherwise, I like them a lot. Like I ranked them, I just prefer them over Grand Illusion.

It has to be said tho that both bands are pretty average live :-(

Just on your screechy comment above. I think that's the thing that just doesn't click for me with Grand Illusion. They have a lot of pretty great songs but the backing vocals are just that little too much, a little too over-the-top and seem to constantly take the songs - only slightly, but enough - to a level they don't need to go. It turns into screamy/yelling type melodies rather than just singing.

Just on your screechy comment above. I think that's the thing that just doesn't click for me with Grand Illusion. They have a lot of pretty great songs but the backing vocals are just that little too much, a little too over-the-top and seem to constantly take the songs - only slightly, but enough - to a level they don't need to go. It turns into screamy/yelling type melodies rather than just singing.

That's why I like them mate. Nice big OTT harmonies everywhere, even if you're dead right about their songs - some killer ("Gates of Fire" is immense) but quite a bit of filler. I can imagine they're pretty rough live though...

That's why I like them mate. Nice big OTT harmonies everywhere, even if you're dead right about their songs - some killer ("Gates of Fire" is immense) but quite a bit of filler. I can imagine they're pretty rough live though...

Yeah Geoff's comment pretty much nails it for me.....I like a lot of the songs on the album, but in general its like the last 20-30 seconds of each song is cringeworthy as the guy goes over top stopping just short of screaming.

Spoils it for me......