Work Of Art - In Progress

Glen

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Great Fall - FULL SONG!! Pretty special stuff.....love the solo.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IVY-0AFU_U&feature=youtu.be

WOA should legally change their name to WOW, just WOW!!! September will see me waiting everyday for the mail to come in.

• My Little Pony

I wasn't expecting that solo. I know you said it was there, but I wasn't anticipating such ferocity. Damn. This has got me pumped.

I wasn't expecting that solo. I know you said it was there, but I wasn't anticipating such ferocity. Damn. This has got me pumped.

Yeah when I first heard the sample I didn't expect a solo like that either! Pretty rocking stuff

Nice song. Nothing to tear nut from sack, but very good regardless, and signs that there might be some truly great stuff on the disc. Might well be that all the best albums of 2011 come from the 2nd half of the year.

So far, 2011 is not even a stain on the great year that was 2010. I do have high hopes for the remainder of the year with the W.O.A, Toby Hitchcock, White Widow and Reckless Love.

My "high hope" for White Widdow is that they get bitten by a black widdow. (Australians will get this joke)

This is a whole new level of distaste for the band. They are not by any means the best ever, but by the sound of it you consider them one of the worst ever. I don't get this hate for them. Ask a non melodic rock expert, let's say my wife, to compare the latest H.E.A.T and the last White Widdow, she thinks that these bands sound very, very similar....however you praise one and hate the other.....????

It was just a joke mate, I would never wish death on fellow melodic rockers! Stick to my view though - having played the WW again right through yesterday - it's horribly tedious and lacks the hooks of H.E.A.T, but each to their own.

On topic - this new WOA tune is truly killer IMO. I nearly missed out on the first disc as the hooks didn't immediately sink in, but this one is a little more immediate...

All samples now over at Melodicrock.com - sounds fantastic.....I reckon this is gonna be tough to beat as a pure AOR album in 2011.

The debut was my favourite release of 2008, beating out great ones from Brother Firetribe, Marcello Vestry, Eclipse and H.E.A.T.

I have a feeling they will rise to the top of my 2011 best of list as well. Those samples at Melodicrock.com are stunning.

• 2 weeks later...

Right off the bat Im gonna say that this is head and shoulders above any other pure AOR release so far this year and with only really Mecca II to come (which is supposed to be excellent by the way!), I cant really see it being topped (AOR wise) in 2011. The production is pretty stunning - I mean this is how an album is supposed to sound. Everything just sits perfectly and the mix is absolutely nailed. Vocals throughout are awesome, musicianship is top drawer. At least 3/4 of the songs feature excellent sing a long first time choruses. The only negative thing I can say about this album (and these are minor gripes) is that the whole album just sounds very familiar - WoA are definitely operating in their 'comfort zone' here and in many of the verses you can hear rhythms, samples, etc which are featured on the first album. The worst example of this is in the song 'Eye Of The Storm' where the verse is almost a copy cat of a song from the debut (havent checked out which)...you can almost forgive them tho cos the chorus is straight out of heaven....an AOR wet dream. elsewhere I have to admit that the chorus in 'The Rain' and 'Emelie' are just too close for comfort....that said again each song is excellent in its own right. That's why the highlights for me so far (purely based on 2 spins) are the songs which show a slight departure from their signature sound - 'Never Love Again'...which has hints of classic era 80s Journey and is utterly brilliant and 'Castaway' which starts out with an acoustic style (with awesome vocal!) but then explodes into the best chorus Ive heard all year -like the best Harem Scarem chorus youve heard. Just WOW!. Bottom line is there's hardly a weak moment on this, the albums flows just great. This is good - whether its good enough to top Toby Hitchcock remains to be seen....Im not sure it has the 'wow' factor of some of those songs, but I wont know for sure until I have the originals and can spin plenty of times. Definitely lives up to the hype tho.

Right off the bat Im gonna say that this is head and shoulders above any other pure AOR release so far this year and with only really Mecca II to come (which is supposed to be excellent by the way!), I cant really see it being topped (AOR wise) in 2011. The production is pretty stunning - I mean this is how an album is supposed to sound. Everything just sits perfectly and the mix is absolutely nailed. Vocals throughout are awesome, musicianship is top drawer. At least 3/4 of the songs feature excellent sing a long first time choruses. The only negative thing I can say about this album (and these are minor gripes) is that the whole album just sounds very familiar - WoA are definitely operating in their 'comfort zone' here and in many of the verses you can hear rhythms, samples, etc which are featured on the first album. The worst example of this is in the song 'Eye Of The Storm' where the verse is almost a copy cat of a song from the debut (havent checked out which)...you can almost forgive them tho cos the chorus is straight out of heaven....an AOR wet dream. elsewhere I have to admit that the chorus in 'The Rain' and 'Emelie' are just too close for comfort....that said again each song is excellent in its own right. That's why the highlights for me so far (purely based on 2 spins) are the songs which show a slight departure from their signature sound - 'Never Love Again'...which has hints of classic era 80s Journey and is utterly brilliant and 'Castaway' which starts out with an acoustic style (with awesome vocal!) but then explodes into the best chorus Ive heard all year -like the best Harem Scarem chorus youve heard. Just WOW!. Bottom line is there's hardly a weak moment on this, the albums flows just great. This is good - whether its good enough to top Toby Hitchcock remains to be seen....Im not sure it has the 'wow' factor of some of those songs, but I wont know for sure until I have the originals and can spin plenty of times. Definitely lives up to the hype tho.

Yeah the soundbyte for "Castaway" sounds killer. Based on soundbytes alone I tend to agree, sounds a touch workmanlike and very similar to the debut. Still awesome though, and the debut was a slow-burner for me so hoping this will be too. Toby Hitchcock will be album of the year though...

Yeah the soundbyte for "Castaway" sounds killer. Based on soundbytes alone I tend to agree, sounds a touch workmanlike and very similar to the debut. Still awesome though, and the debut was a slow-burner for me so hoping this will be too. Toby Hitchcock will be album of the year though...

This is no slow burner - you will love it from spin no 1. There are some seriously good songs on here - as I said my gripes are only minor and this will sit comfortably above 90%

• 2 weeks later...

I hate you Glen!!!! Now you need to buy me a new pair of underpants. A few more weeks and the cd I've been the most anxious to get in quite some time will be mine...Aaaalllll Miiiiinnnne!

Very good CD, will post more detailed thoughts soon. I agree on that 'Castaway' tune. Heavenly chorus, but man, what a shame about the verses. Still, great album.

Okay, here's another of my sexy little reviews in brief. So far this is sitting at 2nd spot on my fave AOR/MHR discs of the year:

1 - The Rain - excellent melodic rock opener - 8.75

2 - Nature of the game - good melodic rock, a bit musically non-continuous at times - 7.5

3 - Once again - good mellow tune, nice hook - 8

4 - Never love again - excellent melodic rock - 9.5

5 - Eye of the storm - verses are better than the chorus, but still a great tune - 8

6 - Until you believe - pretty stunning ballad - 9.25

7 - The great fall - Good solid melodic rock - 8.5

8 - Call on me - great melodic rock - 8.5

9 - Emelie - killer, awesome melodic rock - 9.5

10 - Fall down - good melodic rock - 8

11 - Castaway - shame about the dead verses, as chorus is completely stunning - 9.5

12 - One step away - excellent melodic rock - 9

- - Total Score of all Songs - 104

- - Average Total Percentage of all Songs (%) - 87

- - TOTAL SCORE inc Songs, Vibe, Production etc. (%) - 91

Overall, I loved the debut but I think this one is a little more consistent. There isn't really a dud song on here at all, and there are a couple of deadset stunners. A real shame about the verses in 'Castaway' as that could and should have been the best song in the last decade. Put the verses from 'Eye of the storm' matched with 'Castaway' chorus and you have the best song ever! ;)

Geoff, is your 1st spot the Hitchcock disc or other thing ?

Yeah, Toby Hitchcock is my highest rating melodic rock disc this year so far. Overall, Trust Company also rated higher than 91%, fyi. :)

Would I be the only person who prefers the debut WOA over the up coming album?

To be honest mate, it's been a long time between listens, and I'd have to listen to both back to back. But I do think this new one seemed more consistent and the highs were perhaps a little higher than the (excellent) highs of the debut? Still, both great discs. But there were definitely fillers on the debut... not on this one.

After a few spins I'd probably agree with Geoff. There's no obvious filler and it's ultra consistent, but doesn't quite have enough killer tunes for it to be up there with Toby Hitchcock....

After a few spins I'd probably agree with Geoff. There's no obvious filler and it's ultra consistent, but doesn't quite have enough killer tunes for it to be up there with Toby Hitchcock....

I'd agree on the consistancy factor..... but find myself prefering WOA's debut a tad more of the new one as the best songs on the debut are just a bit more memorable than th best songs off the 2nd album.

I'd agree on the consistancy factor..... but find myself prefering WOA's debut a tad more of the new one as the best songs on the debut are just a bit more memorable than th best songs off the 2nd album.

I thought that too, but when these songs sink in they are just fabulous.

Emelie, eye of the storm, the great fall, Castaway....there are so many brilliant songs. And the production is just awesome.....exactly how an AOR album should sound.

Ive still got TH ahead, but its damned close....I think 94% against 91-92%, both pretty special albums.

As for WW, Im liking the samples so high hopes thats another stunner too.....end of the year is shaping up nicely.

:-)

Geoff, is your 1st spot the Hitchcock disc or other thing ?

Yeah, Toby Hitchcock is my highest rating melodic rock disc this year so far. Overall, Trust Company also rated higher than 91%, fyi. :)

I'd like to know your review of the highest rating disc once you've heard WHITE WIDDOW - SERENADE :)

I heard a few samples of it and it sounds like an improvement on the debut, but anyone suggesting it's better than Toby Hitchcock wouldn't get much credibility from me as they clearly don't know the difference between good and great...