Work Of Art - In Progress

Glen

yup Glen, i guess this is gonna be on top of my 2011 with Lionville trailing behind, but it's still too early to tell, hopefully will be able to hear the whole album in a week or two

Lionville is a good disc, but if it's anywhere near your top 10 of 2011 then you haven't bought enough albums!

:christmas:

what's in your currently top 5 albums mate ? i need an idea or two :guitbannana:

Stuff you'd probably already have, like: Bad Habit, Robin Beck, Farcry, Night Ranger. The Lionville's probably top 10 but shouldn't be by the end of the year, and other top 10 stuff would be Tesla and Shadowman...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad Habit and Robin Beck are also in my top 10, very classy albums indeed.

Night Ranger, Farcry, and Tesla are still in my top 20. Lionville is probably gonna stay in my top 10, but don't know, still a long way to go, many albums to be released yet.

Did you also dig Symphony X - Iconoclast ? that one currently is in my top 5

Night Ranger, Farcry, and Tesla are still in my top 20. Lionville is probably gonna stay in my top 10, but don't know, still a long way to go, many albums to be released yet.

What about Edens Curse, Outloud, Dynazty etc - they all kill that Robin Beck disc. Lionville is an excellent album as well IMO - just gets better the more you listen to it. But as Tim says I doubt it will be in my top 10 come year end......just too much class stuff to come.

I don't like stuff like Edens Curse or Symphony X at all. They're kinda melodic power metal and not my thing at all, very very dated sound that. I like Allen/Lande and some Masterplan though...

What about Edens Curse, Outloud, Dynazty etc - they all kill that Robin Beck disc. Lionville is an excellent album as well IMO - just gets better the more you listen to it. But as Tim says I doubt it will be in my top 10 come year end......just too much class stuff to come.

i'm afraid Eden's Curse is still stuck around > #25 friend but Outloud and Dynazty are currently rotating in my top 20, and yesterday, i listen to Moratti's Victory for the 4th times, I'll say it's getting better, I guess Tim needs to give it more spins.

well need to compile the list again after at least more than 5-6 spins for each disc, still long way to go, but back to Work of Art again, this disc might be finished in the top 5 if they can better the debut.

I don't like stuff like Edens Curse or Symphony X at all. They're kinda melodic power metal and not my thing at all, very very dated sound that. I like Allen/Lande and some Masterplan though...

Lol & Robin Beck doesn't sound dated!!

I love the Edens Curse - it's an awesome slab of melodic metal IMO.

Lol & Robin Beck doesn't sound dated!!

I love the Edens Curse - it's an awesome slab of melodic metal IMO.

& it sounds pretty much nothing like Symphony X at all!

yup Glen, i guess this is gonna be on top of my 2011 with Lionville trailing behind, but it's still too early to tell, hopefully will be able to hear the whole album in a week or two

Lionville is a good disc, but if it's anywhere near your top 10 of 2011 then you haven't bought enough albums!

what's in your currently top 5 albums mate ? i need an idea or two :guitbannana:

Stuff you'd probably already have, like: Bad Habit, Robin Beck, Farcry, Night Ranger. The Lionville's probably top 10 but shouldn't be by the end of the year, and other top 10 stuff would be Tesla and Shadowman...

Explain this please. I've been a little out of the loop this year - did Tesla release a new CD this year? If so, what's it called and how do I get it???

Explain this please. I've been a little out of the loop this year - did Tesla release a new CD this year? If so, what's it called and how do I get it???

Tesla released an acoustic set called Twisted Wires, the song selection is 100% different than Five Men Acoustical Jam so you can consider it a complementary disc and a new release as well.

i'm afraid Eden's Curse is still stuck around > #25 friend but Outloud and Dynazty are currently rotating in my top 20, and yesterday, i listen to Moratti's Victory for the 4th times, I'll say it's getting better, I guess Tim needs to give it more spins.

I've played that Moratti disc about 3 or 4 times now, and it will never be played again for as long as I live. Albums like that are why I got into more modern music in the first place, because there was too much crap coming out of the melodic rock genre. Like I've always said, if you can't make an album that's at least as good - if not better - than the stuff from the 80's/90's then don't bother.

I've played that Moratti disc about 3 or 4 times now, and it will never be played again for as long as I live. Albums like that are why I got into more modern music in the first place, because there was too much crap coming out of the melodic rock genre. Like I've always said, if you can't make an album that's at least as good - if not better - than the stuff from the 80's/90's then don't bother.

But it is my friend - youre the only one who cant hear it lol !!

Virtually everyone else I know whos heard it, loves it. Go figure.

But that's because I have higher standards than you lot. The stuff that gets raved about round here sometimes is staggering (like White Widdow?), almost like mediocre has become the new classic in Melodic Rock. The genre is churning out a lot of crap these days, with the odd gem thrown in, but if you read some of the threads around here you'd think it was 1987 again...

But that's because I have higher standards than you lot. The stuff that gets raved about round here sometimes is staggering (like White Widdow?), almost like mediocre has become the new classic in Melodic Rock. The genre is churning out a lot of crap these days, with the odd gem thrown in, but if you read some of the threads around here you'd think it was 1987 again...

I think you should go back and take a long hard look at 1987 mate - outside of a few classics and an otherwise solid top 10, it wasnt that great???! Or was it...........you tell me.

the last 3 years have been nothing short of awesome in terms of MHR - many of the titles ive had in my respective top 10s have stacked up well against quite a few of the releases of the 80s.

I totally agree with TIM (2)! I don't get a lot of todays stuff that gets raved about, like Lionville or White Widdow, are these really the standards for excellent AOR nowdays? To me it's just good/decent but it doesn't touch most 80's stuff by a mile.

If you want to hear how to record a killer AOR record today, listen to Airrace's latest, or Night Ranger. This is the real deal. I also hope H.E.A.T's new will be a killer, but unfortunately that will probably not come out this year.

I totally agree with TIM (2)! I don't get a lot of todays stuff that gets raved about, like Lionville or White Widdow, are these really the standards for excellent AOR nowdays? To me it's just good/decent but it doesn't touch most 80's stuff by a mile.

If you want to hear how to record a killer AOR record today, listen to Airrace's latest, or Night Ranger. This is the real deal. I also hope H.E.A.T's new will be a killer, but unfortunately that will probably not come out this year.

Why does everyone keep quoting WW as an example of a killer recent album?? I think it ranked about 20th for me in its year of release??

What about from last year First Signal, HEAT, Terry Brock, Vega - all fantastic releases which stack up against 80s stuff...........or if you are looking for sleaze you really cant beat Crashdiet, Crazy Lixx or Hardcore Superstar from last year either. Killer albums all 3 of them.

What about from last year First Signal, HEAT, Terry Brock, Vega - all fantastic releases which stack up against 80s stuff...........or if you are looking for sleaze you really cant beat Crashdiet, Crazy Lixx or Hardcore Superstar from last year either. Killer albums all 3 of them.

Definitely agree about the First Signal/HEAT/Vega, but - as per usual - there seem to be about 3 or 4 monster discs per year then a whole stack of mediocre stuff. Compiling a Top 20 of Melodic Rock these days is a case of ranking the above-named classics then trying to remember what other rubbish you bought to fill the No.4 - 20 slots. And the only time I look for sleaze is during the w/end when I drive my car slowly around the dark streets of London...

Definitely agree about the First Signal/HEAT/Vega, but - as per usual - there seem to be about 3 or 4 monster discs per year then a whole stack of mediocre stuff. Compiling a Top 20 of Melodic Rock these days is a case of ranking the above-named classics then trying to remember what other rubbish you bought to fill the No.4 - 20 slots. And the only time I look for sleaze is during the w/end when I drive my car slowly around the dark streets of London...

You crazy man....the Crashdiet and Crazy Lixx are 2 of the best sleaze / hard rock cds ive heard in the last few years - awesome both of em, and Hardcore Superstar never disappoint.

Also in terms of the 'what other rubbish you bought to fill the No.4 - 20 slots' - yeah agreed it was the rubbish like Treat - Coup De Grace, Pretty Maids - Pandemonium, Unruly Child - Worlds Collide, All I Know - Vanity Kills, Eric Gornwall, Reckless Love, Allen/Lande etc etc - yeah backed, rubbish all of em ;-))

Seriously I reckon last year was the best year for music since 1992.

You crazy man....the Crashdiet and Crazy Lixx are 2 of the best sleaze / hard rock cds ive heard in the last few years - awesome both of em, and Hardcore Superstar never disappoint.

Also in terms of the 'what other rubbish you bought to fill the No.4 - 20 slots' - yeah agreed it was the rubbish like Treat - Coup De Grace, Pretty Maids - Pandemonium, Unruly Child - Worlds Collide, All I Know - Vanity Kills, Eric Gornwall, Reckless Love, Allen/Lande etc etc - yeah backed, rubbish all of em ;-))

Seriously I reckon last year was the best year for music since 1992.

Well Treat is definitely in the "great" list, and the Unruly Child was a pleasant surprise, but the others were good but hardly great. I do think last year was very strong so agree with you there, but this year - despite some very promising new stuff like WOA/Toby Hitchcock - is pretty poor IMO.

So far, 2011 is not even a stain on the great year that was 2010. I do have high hopes for the remainder of the year with the W.O.A, Toby Hitchcock, White Widow and Reckless Love.

So far, 2011 is not even a stain on the great year that was 2010. I do have high hopes for the remainder of the year with the W.O.A, Toby Hitchcock, White Widow and Reckless Love.

My "high hope" for White Widdow is that they get bitten by a black widdow. (Australians will get this joke)

Really? My top 20 so far looks pretty good to me - and as you say many great albums to come :-)

Gotta agree with Tim and Dave on 2011 in MHR so far. There's some nice albums from 2011 so far, but few that have blown my mind. And the ever elusive supposed classics still to come ( ;) ), though it is getting to July now. They better start rolling in quick! :lol:

I'll admit there haven't been many ball-tearers in modern rock either, but what has been released so far in modern rock in 2011 is making it a very, very good, very solid year so far.

hm to me contrary, 2011 is a monster year, as good as last year and i guess i have a hard time to arrange my top 30 albums of the moment while still many are coming down, a big wow :christmas:

My "high hope" for White Widdow is that they get bitten by a black widdow. (Australians will get this joke)

This is a whole new level of distaste for the band. They are not by any means the best ever, but by the sound of it you consider them one of the worst ever. I don't get this hate for them. Ask a non melodic rock expert, let's say my wife, to compare the latest H.E.A.T and the last White Widdow, she thinks that these bands sound very, very similar....however you praise one and hate the other.....????

The new WOA is 3 killer tracks so far from what I have heard, so hoping the other 7 or 8 will be up to the same standard. The end of Aug will reveal all. I have a feeling.... ;)