Jellyfish

martinsane

Decided to move the blossoming Jellyfish conversation out of the "what cd's" thread and start up their own lil' thread.

Nick is certainly the Jellies expert here.

I have dug them for ages and have been loving the 2 major label releases Bellybutton and Spilt Milk, I also have the VHS they released and a long play cd single called "The Ghost At Number One". It is a 2 disc set with the single TGA#1, All Is Forgiven, Worthless Heart and Ignorance Is Bliss (The second disc, which is a carboard one, apparently some special buying event had to happen to get the 2nd one, has the same track 1 & 2, but then has Watch The Rain and Family Tree.

Anywho here are a couple a video's to help spread the Jelly love to you all...

My fave: That Is Why

Nick's fave: I Wanna Stay Home

The also great:The King Is Half Undressed

And those are just from BB...

Here is a cut from Imperial Drag:

And now I turn the stage over to Nick and his Jellyfish knowledge. :)

jellyfish.png

The King is Half Undressed...what a brilliant chorus. Boy Or A Girl is a great track, the best Black Crowes song they never sang or wrote. I'm not a huge fan of everything from either Jellyfish or Imperial Drag, but those 2 tracks are favs of mine. Of course I still have Bellybutton and the Imperial Drag 15 and 20 years later. Jellyfish was the definition of Power Pop.

I wouldn't call myself a Jellyfish expert mate...you honour me too much, one of my fave bands and currently for the last few months I've been in a BIG JFish mood.

Watchin the Rain by the way is a later version of the song that Andy Sturmer and Roger Manning did with Beatnik Beatch their pre Jellyfish band. Beatnik Beatch did 2ish albums the 1st At the Zula Pool (or At Zula Pool according to the spine) was a vinyl only release on Industrial Records, but when they were signed to Atlantic they recorded a few new songs and dropped a few from the Zula Pool release. I think this version has recently been re-released. Anyway Sturmer regards the Jellyfish version as the way he wanted the song to sound originally, I must say Beatnik Beatch were a bit shoegazingy indie sort of a band a million miles away from JFish

Here's the studio version of I Wanna Stay Home - crank the speakers and sit back.

I never got the VHS tape Gone Jellyfishin' - I'll have to track it down one day but I'd have to convert it to DVD as my VHS is about to give up the ghost I think.

The Imperial Drag is actually a very good album, although I said it was only goodish in the other thread I think I did it a slight disservice, but then I always end up comparing it to the Jellies. Poppy, Psychedilic, Rocky just pretty groovy. I think my fave song off that is Crosseyed.

There's plenty of Imperial Drag (and Jellyfish) on Youtube but here's the studio version of Crosseyed so you can get an idea

Crosseyed

PLUS

Here's some Rgoer Joseph Manning jr (he added the jr. as everyone was mixing him up with a C&W singer or something), check out his cool Moog Cookbook stuff too (weird funky cheesy if you wish versions of well known songs).

Really like "Boy or a Girl"....is the rest of Imperial Drag as good as that song??

No! It's good, but Boy Or A Girl is the albums best track.

.....where was I before I was interupted by family life.

Not much else to add - Andy Sturmer the vocalist started producing and writing for a Japanese pop band whose name escapes me att present, but surfaced on the L.E.O album Alpacas Orgling a few years ago. L.E.O. was a band that did original songs in the style of E.L.O. (geddit?) as a kind of tribute.

Andy Faulkner guitarist on Bellybutton has released tons of stuff mainly solo but the ocassional band project like The Grays.

And I think that's about it...I've waffled on too much as usuai!

Can't listen to the tracks right now but they are not on HH website?

No, and I can't imagine them being added as they are a pop band. "New Mistake" is a f***ing fantastic song though! :tumbsup:

No, and I can't imagine them being added as they are a pop band. "New Mistake" is a f***ing fantastic song though! :tumbsup:

:o:lol: no more pop than say Cheap Trick or Enuff z Nuff and a darn site heavier than Airplay or King of Hearts. Rock with pop sensibilities I say :)

:o:lol: no more pop than say Cheap Trick or Enuff z Nuff and a darn site heavier than Airplay or King of Hearts. Rock with pop sensibilities I say :)

Agreed me matey. Aarrgghh. :)

I consider them a hard rock band. If Queen, Cheaptrick are in the database, why not them?

I find that really surprising. Hard rock? No way! Pop rock maybe, which is what Queen were and possibly Cheap Trick too. I find it strange that Queen are in the database, but that's just my personal view.

I consider them a hard rock band. If Queen, Cheaptrick are in the database, why not them?

I find that really surprising. Hard rock? No way! Pop rock maybe, which is what Queen were and possibly Cheap Trick too. I find it strange that Queen are in the database, but that's just my personal view.

Well, Queen is considered Progressive in the Data base. Some bands can go either way. Queen & Cheaptrick can be considered both Hard rock or Pop. Some may even call them Heavy Metal :blink: . It all depends on who you ask. I actually have books on Hard Rock and Heavy Metal that include Tom Petty, but not Alice Cooper..

I actually have books on Hard Rock and Heavy Metal that include Tom Petty, but not Alice Cooper..

That's just wrong! :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

For anyone wanting to pick up Spilt Milk or Bellybutton or has had difficulty finding them a Japanese reduced price (US $22) reissues are out on October 26th. Not sure if there is a Western reissue or not.

Love both studio albums by this band...amazing stuff.

Then you need to track down the Fan Club 4 CD box mate, all unreleased demos, live stuff, b-sides and hard to find stuff. No actual tracks that finished up on the albums only the demos of them (apart from the live tracks on the expanded version of Bellybutton).

Then you need to track down the Fan Club 4 CD box mate, all unreleased demos, live stuff, b-sides and hard to find stuff. No actual tracks that finished up on the albums only the demos of them (apart from the live tracks on the expanded version of Bellybutton).

Him and me both... :)

That sounds amazing. A buddy of mine who worked at the CD store with me owned it, but I never looked it over.