Europe, new track Doghouse

Captain Howdy

This is a recording of the new track Doghouse, which they say may or may not make it onto next years album.

Sound quality is obviously from someone in the crowd

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1859890344907&oid=52545531026&comments

Will try to listen to this today... but for the impatient of us, is it similar in style to what was on the last 2 CDs? I saw your thread on these guys live and noted how you said they only played one song from 'PiP,' so I assume a return to that style is not on the cards. :(

It doesnt sound as modern as the last few CDs but isnt as commercial as PiP or FC. Probably closer to their earlier stuff with a bit of the modern flavour.

Of course, the fact that Norum was soloing through it could just be cause its live, so until theres a studio version its gonna be tough to make a full judgement.

as long as John Norum in the band, I don't think there will be a return-to-commercial version of Europe, after all, Norum eventually decided to left Europe as soon as they began slowing down in Countdown :D

Wowser, just went to confirm this info with a quick look on wikipedia and it seems you're right. I never knew that. The ironic thing is that his first two solo albums were melodic rock bliss, not too far removed from what Europe did on 'Out of this world' and 'Prisoners in paradise.'

Granted he went to shit after that, but I didn't know that's why he left back in the day. Interesting. I wonder what Norum's issue with good music is these days. I honestly wish they'd just bin him and get Kee Marcello back.

Actually, one of Norums biggest complaints with the direction of Europe from Countdown onwards, wasnt so much that they were softening up it was their overuse of keyboards and the sky high hair image, which is something he didnt do on his first two solo albums.

Norum wanted the guitar to be more upfront and the image to be toned down, which is exactly what he did when he left.

that's right.

Remember Norum started the band with Tempest under the name 'Force' and they won the local competition that awarded them the record deal for their debut. At that time, John was also awarded as the best guitarist, and the first two albums of Europe is simply traditional heavy metal, with John's guitar dominating the record.

As soon as 'The Final Countdown' is introduced, which simply a keyboard-driven song, suddenly the band later turned into AOR kinda stuff with the keys dominating the albums. I don't think John has complain with melodic rock kind of stuff, but as long as his guitar is leading the song, it's fine. I guess that also explains the setlist they're playing nowadays, non-keyboard stuff (except Countdown since it's their biggest hit) and even the ballad Carrie (which started with a keyboard) usually performed solo by Tempest and his acoustic guitar lol

I do get a feeling though that the reason is that John may not want to play Europe songs that he was not originally on, hence there being three from FC but only one song from each of the two albums Kee was on.

I know sometimes these rock stars dont like playing the stuff from their replacements when they rejoin.

that's also true, is it any possible that someday Europe asked Marcello to rejoin as the sixth member and with twin guitar attack, Europe's sound will be very rich, from commercial melodic rock to heavy metal to modern stuff, that'd be cool :)

btw, when you watch them live week ago, did they play Carrie in acoustical format like in the 'Live From The Dark' dvd ? :)

Kee was part of the band when they reformed, to my knowledge, but wouldnt commit to touring or something, and said he had other commitments.

Sounds like the relationship between them is still cordial, so its possible that he may come back at some point.

Carrie was played as a full band effort at the London show, which is probably down to the fact that Joey has said he wants this DVD to be different to the last one.

I like acoustic songs as much as the next man, but I was glad it was full electric seeing as its my first time seeing them.

• 6 months later...

I got the CD/DVD pack today, and while the CD does sound good (I havent had a chance to look at the DVD yet), one thing has pissed me off with it.

On the DVD it has the full set list, but on the CD they have cut 3 songs from it. The drum solo is no big loss, but Norums version of The Loner is gone as is the new track, Doghouse.

The DVD has a few extras on it as well, including a couple of music videos, some other live footage and interviews.

I am a HUGE Europe fan. Unlike a lot of people I LOVE their newer stuff. I have a soft spot for The Final Countdown, Out of This World & Prisoners In Paradise but I really like their newer stuff. In Fact, as I have stated in other threads over the years, Stark From The Dark is my favorite Europe cd BECAUSE of Norums tuned down sound. I initially did not like Secret Society as much but do LOVE it now. Last Look at Eden is a GREAT disc and I really liked it right off the bat. "New Love In Town is one of the best ballads they have ever written.

I like all their albums, and dont see any issues with any of them.

While Prisoners is still my fave, Last look at Eden just blew me away. It captures the modern sound, and blended it with a little of their older style.

as long as John Norum in the band, I don't think there will be a return-to-commercial version of Europe, after all, Norum eventually decided to left Europe as soon as they began slowing down in Countdown :D

Wowser, just went to confirm this info with a quick look on wikipedia and it seems you're right. I never knew that. The ironic thing is that his first two solo albums were melodic rock bliss, not too far removed from what Europe did on 'Out of this world' and 'Prisoners in paradise.'

Granted he went to shit after that, but I didn't know that's why he left back in the day. Interesting. I wonder what Norum's issue with good music is these days. I honestly wish they'd just bin him and get Kee Marcello back.

I actually interviewed Norum. The only way he could get a deal with Epic Records was to release a commercial disc so he got Goran Edman involved, but he had gotten into lots of modern metal and didn't like the way the label were taking the Europe sound. Personally I agree with you about Marcello, he suited the melodic sound and his style enhanced the songs unlike players like Steve Vai or Norum who care more about their air-time than the song itself. I have always checked out new Europe stuff but have never enjoyed anything of theirs since I liked a few songs on "Start From the Dark" (an album on which they totally and utterly sold-out). I love modern rock/metal music but just don't think they are very good at it - but I notice they now sound more like a classic rock band with a retro feel...

I actually interviewed Norum. The only way he could get a deal with Epic Records was to release a commercial disc so he got Goran Edman involved, but he had gotten into lots of modern metal and didn't like the way the label were taking the Europe sound. Personally I agree with you about Marcello, he suited the melodic sound and his style enhanced the songs unlike players like Steve Vai or Norum who care more about their air-time than the song itself. I have always checked out new Europe stuff but have never enjoyed anything of theirs since I liked a few songs on "Start From the Dark" (an album on which they totally and utterly sold-out). I love modern rock/metal music but just don't think they are very good at it - but I notice they now sound more like a classic rock band with a retro feel...

I couldn't disagree more. I don't think they sold out at all....they did what every band has to do to survive and stay relavent. Everyone has different tastes but I listen to the newer stuff as opposed to the old.

I know that way back in the tape trading days, Joey used to listen to AOR. He liked Balance-In For The Count and Magnum amongst others. I'm a huge Norum fan, really like his guitar playing but I'm not too fond of the new Europe sound. New Love In Town is a great song, I think it was written during the Prisoners In Paradise period.

Keep on AORing,

Thomas

I couldn't disagree more. I don't think they sold out at all....they did what every band has to do to survive and stay relavent. Everyone has different tastes but I listen to the newer stuff as opposed to the old.

If they were trying to sell out, they would have gone for something that was fashionable, which they didnt do.

Start from dark certainly had modern elements to it, but I doubt anyone in the band thought that it would appeal to the youth market which is what a sell out band would do.

If anything what Start from dark was, was a combination of melodic Europe mixed with Norums solo sound, which certainly wasnt fashionable either.

I like newer stuff too, I love modern rock. I just don't think Europe are any good at it! Maybe they agreed as the sound after "SFTD" has been less modern rock and more classic/retro rock. Whether you like them or not, their sound has jumped all over the place since "Prisoners..."...

I dont think its jumped all over the place at all. All three albums since the reunion have a similar sound to them, but Eden certainly brought back an old school rock vibe to the mix, but still sounds very similar in style to the previous two.