The Fantastic....3?

metaltrekman

I started reading the Fantastic Four, I guess almost 40 years ago. I dont read them now but collected them as a kid.

I just saw this posted this morning and it really shocked me, that they would do this and end a comic book series that still has a huge following. I think its a bunch of crap! ;)http://omg.yahoo.com/videos/comics-fantastic-four-will-be-no-more/12931?nc

Cool! Please let it be Reed Richards! Please let it be Reed Richards! :D

I said the same thing when I first heard about this a few weeks ago. I always hated that hyper-intellectual prick. :)

I believe the "death" issue is out this week...unconfirmed rumors state that it's gonna be Johnny Storm (aka the Human Torch) who bites the big one.

I wonder if this will leave an opening for H.E.R.B.I.E. the robot to rejoin the team?

bengrimm1003.jpg

Anybody else remember when he replaced the Torch in this late 70s cartoon show? Rumor had it at the time that they didn't use the Torch in this 'toon cuz of fears that kids would try to copy him and set themselves on fire. :lol:

I think its a bunch of crap! ;)

Backed big time !!

I think its a bunch of crap! ;)

Backed big time !!

Me too. Fantastic Four is my favorite comic book series and I've managed to acquire quite a few of them over the years (yes, even a couple with...with...urp...with herbie. :puke:

I will pull out a Fantastic Four comic every so often and sit down with my kids and read it to them, we all love it!

Maybe the team can replace Torch with "Angst-ridden Spider-Man"?

Didn't see the video when I posted (can't view it at work). I've never really liked FF, mainly because I think Reed has a really lame power/ability. I loved the second FF film, but only because Silver Surfer was in it and he is feckin' awesome. Having said all of that, imo by far the coolest member of FF is the Human Torch, so this will turn me off them even more.

Nobody ever stays dead in comics anyway. You watch, a year from now the Torch will reappear... and they'll have some kind of half assed explanation, like maybe that the "real" Torch was being held prisoner on an alien planet all this time and his place on the team was secretly filled by a clone constructed by the Skrulls, and that's the Torch who died.. Something like that. :blink:

Rumor had it at the time that they didn't use the Torch in this 'toon cuz of fears that kids would try to copy him and set themselves on fire. :lol:

Yeah, but it was little more than an urban myth, if thats the best thing to call it.

The truth was that the rights to the Torch had been sold to a movie studio to produce a movie, which never even got past the initial stages.

As for the FF, its not the first time a member has 'died' or left, and on the back of Captain America dying and then being not dead in the last few years, it really doesnt count for much.

As an old school comic collecting nerd, I was never a huge FF fan, but I did read and collect their books.

At different points in their history, pretty much every member has quit, and been believed dead (the whole team in fact during the Age of Apocalypse storyline).

I know Reed was also believed dead at one point as well, but was later found in the negative zone (I think it was).

While the core of the book has always been the main four, there have been more than a handful of replacement members over the years, and there was even a brief point where the FF consisted of Spiderman, Ghost Rider, The Hulk and Wolverine.

Rumor had it at the time that they didn't use the Torch in this 'toon cuz of fears that kids would try to copy him and set themselves on fire. :lol:

Yeah, but it was little more than an urban myth, if thats the best thing to call it.

The truth was that the rights to the Torch had been sold to a movie studio to produce a movie, which never even got past the initial stages.

As for the FF, its not the first time a member has 'died' or left, and on the back of Captain America dying and then being not dead in the last few years, it really doesnt count for much.

As an old school comic collecting nerd, I was never a huge FF fan, but I did read and collect their books.

At different points in their history, pretty much every member has quit, and been believed dead (the whole team in fact during the Age of Apocalypse storyline).

I know Reed was also believed dead at one point as well, but was later found in the negative zone (I think it was).

While the core of the book has always been the main four, there have been more than a handful of replacement members over the years, and there was even a brief point where the FF consisted of Spiderman, Ghost Rider, The Hulk and Wolverine.

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

Update... looks like the newest member of the Fantastic Four, taking the place of the late Human Torch, will be... Spider-Man!

fantastic-four-spiderman_300.jpg

Apparently the new lineup will also result in spiffy new uniforms and a name change for the group, who will now go by "The Future Foundation." Catchy. Not.

(from EW.com)

Spider-Man joins the Fantastic Four, gets new white costume:

Shameless marketing ploy or shameless marketing ploy that we might actually enjoy?

by Darren Franich

Categories: Comic Books

Last month, Marvel killed off the Human Torch. Now, they’ve found his replacement, an unknown up-and-comer with a decidedly unmemorable name: Spider-Man. That’s right, Marvel’s number one superhero is joining Marvel’s oldest superhero team, according to the Associated Press. The twist is that the Fantastic Four are getting a new name — the Future Foundation, which really rolls of the tongue — and new costumes. Now, I have a terrible guilty addiction to new superhero costumes, and I kind of dig the bold choice to make the costumes monochromatic. (Also, yahoo for hexagons!) But there’s no denying that the new FF look like a misfit gang of stormtroopers. Which brings up the big question: Is the Future Foundation just a shameless marketing ploy doomed to certain failure, or is it a shameless marketing ploy doomed to certain failure that we’ll nevertheless remember fondly decades from now? Cynics can point out that Spider-Man will now be a member of two hallmark superhero teams — he’s also been on the Avengers for the last few years. (If they plug the character into a splinter group of the X-Men, it’ll be a hat trick!) It’s difficult to properly imagine how Peter Parker can maintain a hectic enough solo career to justify the thrice-monthly Amazing Spider-Man comic book, freelance with two separate superhero teams, and also presumably sleep at some point. I mean, is he Peter Parker or James Franco?

Comic book history is full of shameless marketing ploys, and even if the Future Foundation seems silly now, it’s really no sillier than the last time Spidey joined the FF: the brief, shining era of the New Fantastic Four. The cast then was Spidey, Wolverine, Hulk, and Ghost Rider, and to a young lad like me in the first bloom of discovering comics, there were literally no heroes who seemed cooler. And mind you, we’re talking Gray Hulk — who’s so cool, he makes Green Hulk look like She-Hulk — and Wolverine-Wearing-Normal-Clothes (a.k.a. “Barfly-Wolverine”). If the New FF featured Spider-Man in a black costume, my head would have exploded. (Seriously guys, it was the best trading card ever.)

Ok That's it.. Stan Lee Has officially lost His damn mind...... :omg:

Don't blame Stan, as he likely had nothin' to do with it. He's 88 freakin' years old and has had very little to do with the day to day doings at Marvel since the late 70s. Stan's more of a figurehead/company spokesperson nowadays than anything else.

It's just so predictable. Marvel is all about Spiderman, can you imagine them pushing anyone else? Imagine Ghost Rider, Moon Knight or Venom (for example) in the Fantastic Four, that would be cool. As much as I find this really dull, I do think Spidey looks feckin' awesome in the new outfit!

• 2 years later...