Any Bride fans here?

DaHun72

Had always had a couple of cassettes by the band but I came across one of their CDs. After looking around on youtube I have to say it looks like all their releases up to the early to mid 90s are worth grabbing. Any thoughts on the band? They seem quite diverse and the singer can really rip.

I owned a couple of their CDs but both bored me incredibly and I sold them. If I recall correctly they had a good beefy sound, but just no enjoyable songs for me to match the ballsy sound.

Bride is one band I've never had time to really delve into, though I've been wanting to for a while. I only have three of their discs (SNAKES IN THE PLAYGROUND, END OF THE AGE and SCARECROW MESSIAH) but I like all of 'em so I have been meaning to dig deeper into their back catalog.

I understand that from the mid 90s onward they were pretty blatant trend hoppers and that the stuff from that era isn't worth bothering with (I did have their early 90s disc DROP for a brief period and whooo boy did that one suck rocks). Although apparently their last couple of CDs have been more in the SNAKES vein.

I have their demos when they were called mattrix and their first 3 great releases in all formats availiable ( vinyls, cds, japanese cds and rereleases) and some lives. Their "end of the age" compilation has probably one the most suitable titles ever. To guote their label for this release: " Pure Metal: It's essential to eveyrone's musical diet... And so good for you".

When kinetic faith was released my reaction was "Well, just be sure it's pure" and i never looked back .

I understand that Retroactive Records has just given the deluxe reissue treatment to Bride's first three albums (SHOW NO MERCY, LIVE TO DIE and SILENCE IS MADNESS). Those three seem to be the most popular amongst the "Metal" crowd while later stuff like SNAKES IN THE PLAYGROUND is aimed more towards the hard rock/Guns N Roses/Aerosmith audience. (Then came the mid to late 90s stuff like DROP and FISTFUL OF BEES which nobody seems to like much at all. Haha.)

Scott Waters' mighty No Life Til Metal site has a very in depth of Bride's entire catalog (the good and the bad) that can be found here if you wanna learn more, DaHun...

http://nolifetilmetal.com/bride.html

I have a couple of their cd's, Snakes In The Playground and Kinetic Faith. I really like Snakes, the GnR comparisons for that album are pretty close. That one finds it's way out to the car every so often. I don't really care for Kinetic Faith though. Not near as good as Snakes IMO.

I understand that Retroactive Records has just given the deluxe reissue treatment to Bride's first three albums (SHOW NO MERCY, LIVE TO DIE and SILENCE IS MADNESS). Those three seem to be the most popular amongst the "Metal" crowd while later stuff like SNAKES IN THE PLAYGROUND is aimed more towards the hard rock/Guns N Roses/Aerosmith audience. (Then came the mid to late 90s stuff like DROP and FISTFUL OF BEES which nobody seems to like much at all. Haha.)

Scott Waters' mighty No Life Til Metal site has a very in depth of Bride's entire catalog (the good and the bad) that can be found here if you wanna learn more, DaHun...

http://nolifetilmetal.com/bride.html

Thanks for the great link fat freddy, much appreciated. Also the info the the reissues is awesome, I'll be hunting them down. From what I own already and what I've heard on youtube I really dig the early metal style and the GNR stuff.... so I'll grab everything up to Snakes In The Playground (to start with) ;) Thanks again!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got:

Silence is madness

Kinetic Faith

Snakes in the playground

Ive owned Drop, The jesus experience and Oddities (now owned by Justin).

Snakes is fantastic! Some really killer rockin stuff.

Overall, am i a fan? No. Too patchy. But when they are good, theyre brilliant. And the dude seriously wails.

• 1 month later...

I've finally grabbed the first 3 reissues from Retrospect. I can't comment on the sound quality compared to the originals but to these ears they sound pretty good - as to be expected each of the newer ones sounds better than the last probably due to initial recording time, budget etc.

The only real disappointing issue for me is that these are digipaks, I generally love my digis coz I take a lot of care with them and store them but from what I hear most people hate them because once it gets damaged you pretty much have to bin it, rather than swapping out a jewel case. Anyway, my issue is that these are fold out digis and the lyrics and liner notes are on the fold out part themselves i.e. no booklet. Pretty lame but still worth owning if you dig the band, just be extra careful :)

• 10 months later...

I own a lot of Bride. Like quoted above Show No Mercy, Live To Die and Silence Is Madness will appeal to people who like their metal on the classic side. Kinetic Faith, and Snakes will appeal to those who like the GNR type of hard rock. Their First 3 albums have been reissued several times each by different labels. Their first album Show No Mercy was originally only released on vinyl and cassette. Before the reissues in the early 00's Silence cd was selling for a good amount of cash (before Ebay). Bride came out with a limited edition cd with both Show No Mercy and Silence Is Madness both on it. It could be purchased through HM magazine (directly from the band) I believe it was around 96'. This was the first time Show No Mercy had seen cd format. I am fortunate to have this cd. It was limited to 1000 copies according to the liner notes. So was the first pressing of Lost Reels. The band could have done better with the quality though. Show No Mercy sounded like it was transfered straight from a record. Another rare cd is the Snakes In The Playground with a bonus disk. If I recall it had 3 songs. 2 remixes and Same Ol' Sinner from End of the Age. This was offered in limited quantities when Snakes first came out. Unfortunately I don't have that one, but my friend does.

• 7 years later...