Def Leppard Tribute Band...

Fat Freddy

(Borrowed this from another forum)

From the "I swear I am not making this up" file... :blink:

I understand that the whole idea behind tribute bands is to re-create the look & sound of the band they're tributing as accurately as possible, but this seems like taking it a bit too far to me. :rofl2:

According to RollingStone.com, PYROMANIA, a DEF LEPPARD cover band based in Dallas, Texas, is currently looking for a new drummer with only one arm, just like actual Leppard drummer Rick Allen.

Their hand-written ad also insists that the prospective percussionist must have "no prosthetics" and should own a "flame retardent kit and stick."

Pyromania's official website claims that they are the only tribute band that can simulate the Def Leppard live experience with "true accuracy," and obviously they are not kidding around.

pyromaniaad.jpg

Fun additional game: see how many misspellings/grammatical errors you can find in the band's flyer. Obviously they're not doing this tribute band thing during their down time from Mensa...:lol:

Here's a photo of the tools in question:

pyromaniaband.jpg

Guitar guy on the left looks more like Steve Grimmett of Grim Reaper than Steamin' Steve Clark. Not very accurate!! :rofl:

Video evidence: wow, they actually sound pretty good. Hell, I'd probably go see these guys before I'd go see the real Def Leppard.

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/54177327

Did you find all the grammar mistakes? The singer used to be in the band TALON.

I think I got'em all...

-- They're looking for a "one arm" drummer (should be "one armed")

-- Three misuses of "your" ("if your wired your fired" and "if your ready to get rockin'") -- it should be "you're" in all three places

-- They misspelled "prosthetics"

-- They misspelled "inquiries"

-- They misspelled "retardant"

..and they even misspelled "Leppard" under the headline, for Chrissake!!! ("Leapard?")...

Did I miss any? :blink:

For ultimate current accuracy would they not have Viv Campbell in the band? Steve is kind of dead isn't he?

It's all part of the master plan. Once they find a one armed drummer, they'll have their "Steve Clark" drink himself to death, and then they'll hire a total wanker to take his place. :rofl2:

I think I got'em all...

-- Three misuses of "your" ("if your wired your fired" and "if your ready to get rockin'") -- it should be "you're" in all three places

..and they even misspelled "Leppard" under the headline, for Chrissake!!! ("Leapard?")...

Nope you got them all. LOL

For ultimate current accuracy would they not have Viv Campbell in the band? Steve is kind of dead isn't he?

And lastly, wouldn't you want to emulate your favorite band in their prime?

I think Rick would rather have the pair???

:screwy:

Well it seems to me that they are emulating them in their prime, as many consider Hysteria to be the pinacle of their career, and was easily their biggest selling album.

That would be why that have Clarke and want a one armed drummer.

I think I got'em all...

Nope you got them all. LOL

I was an English major in college. Can you tell? :lol:

Well it seems to me that they are emulating them in their prime, as many consider Hysteria to be the pinacle of their career, and was easily their biggest selling album.

Wasn't Pyromania the big record? For me it was anyway and Rick had a pair of stick twirlers then...

This whole story reminds me of how, for many years after Rick Allen's accident, any time my brother and I would see an "old" Def Leppard video on MTV, one of us would invariably say "See that arm? It ain't there anymore."

This story keeps getting odder. Now there's another Def Leppard tribute band, also called "Pyromania," who are "discusted" (sic) by the Texas based Pyromania's antics and are making statements to the press to make sure nobody confuses them with the other band.

http://www.comcast.net/music/blindedbythehype/6794354/ataleoftwotributebands/

Quote:

JANUARY 7, 2011:

Seems there is a Def Leppard tribute band in Dallas who call themselves Pyromania and are looking for a one armed drummer.

We wanted to set the record straight that we have nothing to do with this ad and we are not looking for a drummer and feel is is in VERY BAD TASTE!! We have much respect for Rick Allen and Def Leppard and We have a great love and honor for their music. Please do not confuse us with this complete discusting and disrespectful behaviour.

On a more pleasent note, we, PYROMANIA - The Ultimate Def Leppard Experience will be in Houston TX on Feburary 11. Check the TOUR page for all the details

http://www.defleppardtribute.com/index2.html

Daaaaaamn yo, it's like Tupac Vs. Biggie all over again. We gots us a Def Leppard Tribute Band BEEF! They gonna be droppin' many suckas, fo shizzle!!

Wowser. That is very strange. I admit I am very curious, though, to know if they've actually had anyone audition, and if there is actually anyone to fit the part anywhere out there?

Wasn't Pyromania the big record? For me it was anyway and Rick had a pair of stick twirlers then...

Nah, Hysteria broke them worldwide and is still their biggest selling album to date.

Pyromania was their first big hit but only in Canada and USA, but even then they were not #1 in eithers albums charts.

Hysteria went to #1 in something like 6 or 7 countries, and was their first #1 album.

Hysteria also generated more singles (worldwide) than Pyromania.

Pyromania is certified platinum only in Can (x7) and USA (x10), where as Hysteria is certified platinum in the UK (2x), Australia (x4), Can (x10) and USA (x12).

Just to let people know, the Pyromania band that was pissed was in Southern California. The picture above is from them, they do sound very good. At one point they had a lot of live songs for download. Their singer is Michael Omara of Talon, Mpire, VFX etc. He is one of my favorite voices actually and seems to be a pretty cool guy based on trading email for awhile years ago.

I guess they make good money and have a good following. The play the Hard Rock Cafe in places too. Thats cool for a tribute band I guess.

Just thought I would add info.

Mike

Boooo.... looks like this whole thing was a hoax. Dang! We got punk'd! :(

It turns out that the ad, was a hoax. There’s not even a Def Leppard tribute band in Dallas. The guy behind the stunt, a musician who, for the prank, called himself Jeff Leppard, says he made up the phoney flier and a friend of his posted it on the Internet with his phone number.

This led to him receiving numerous phone calls, including one from a California-based band called Pyromania, who told him it was in “poor taste”.

Jeff says: “I think having a Def Leppard tribute band is in poor taste!”

Jeff sounds like a douche. :P