What the Funk

KarpetRydOFunk

• My Little Pony

There have been many comments of confusion with regards to the music I have listed in my collection. Some had wrote it off as crap, others outright hated it, and one rookie member even had the audacity to suggest it was an "odd mix of CDs." I am not, was not, nor will I ever be angered by the apparent display of prejudice, however, as I believe ignorance is to blame. So, when I came to this conclusion, I decided I must educate the lot of you, and allow you to make an informed decision. So, every week, or whenever I feel like it--definitely the latter over the former--I'll post an artist from my collection that doesn't fit the description of the music generally discussed here, and is not very well known outside the world of said music.

MuteMath

It didn't take long for me to decide that MuteMath would be my first entry. When their self-titled debut dropped in September of 2006, I quickly realized, and professed, that it was the most important album of the year. I didn't quite know what that meant, and, quite frankly, still don't know what that means, but it was obvious this album--this band--would have an important part to play in my musical influence.

Although my obsession with MuteMath really took form in 2006, I suppose it's beginnings could be traced nearly exactly one year prior. In September of 2005, they had released the "Reset EP." My dad and I were browsing through a local music store, when we first heard the sound of the then-unknown-and-let-us-be-honest-probably-still-not-that-well-known quartet. My dad, being a fan of progressive rock, made an inquiry with the nearest employee, and promptly bought the EP. I did not--something I've regret for five years now, as it's hard to track down at a reasonable price.

MuteMath's second full-length album, "Armistice," was released in August of 2009, and with it came a lot of dissapointment from "devoted" fans. Many people claimed it was too great a departure from the sound of the debut. As one who knows better, those people can all go eat a sack of dicks, because "Armistice," though, admittedly, a bit different, was nothing short of another masterpiece. MuteMath had not lost form, but, most importantly, they had not lost who they were: a high energy, thought provoking, electro-alternative-experimental-psychedelic-rock group. I just call that progressive rock.

Here's their Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/mutemath

Here are a few of my personal faves:

From the "Reset EP":

Progress -

Peculiar People -

From "MuteMath":

Typical -

Picture -

Reset -

(live version, if you're gonna watch a live clip of them this is it!)

From "Armistice":

Backfire -

Goodbye -

Electrify - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg3YcDuaC5M

Armistice -

I know what you mean... When some people look over my collection I get comments like.. "Who the f**k are they?" or "They must really suck.. just look at their picture".

I do have to admit I've been guilty of the same thing. I recently looked over a members ebay auction and thought to myself.. "Out of nearly 100 items you'd think there should be one decent release listed". I'm quite sure we all miss some pretty good stuff based on judging the band by its looks or by its name or in many cases by it genre.

I've just come to realize that my taste in music is just better than everyone elses. There is really not much I can do about it. :popcorn:

I do applaud your attempt at "educating" the members here.. though I think you may not find it very rewarding. Just be content knowing you have the SECOND BEST taste on this site. :tumbsup:

• My Little Pony

I do applaud your attempt at "educating" the members here.. though I think you may not find it very rewarding. Just be content knowing you have the VERY BEST taste on this site. :tumbsup:

What you and I may define as 'rewarding' could prove to be very different.

• 7 months later...
  • My Little Pony

I s'pose I should finish--or, at least continue--what I've started.

Passion Pit

Anyone heard of these guys? Passion Pit are an electropop group from Cambridge, Massachusetts. I know what you're thinking right about now, "What the f**k is 'electropop?'" Or maybe you're thinking, "Why the f**k is this Karpet guy still hanging around? Why won't he just take a hint, and leave?" Actually, I have no idea what you may be thinking, but if it happens to be along the lines of the former, don't be alarmed. Electropop is a modern take on synthpop which can be traced back to the 60's. Coincidentally--perhaps not--there's something about them that reminds me of the pop/rock movement of the 1960's. These guys have a great sound. Hell, even my dad loves them. He calls them the Screaming Chickens.

Their first release was in 2008 in the form of an EP. The six tracks that made up "Chunk of Change," although a little raw, were a great idea of what was to come. I s'pose that's what EPs usually are. The following May they released their debut full-length title: "Manners." This album has been in constant rotation for over two years now. It's easily one of my favourite titles. It makes for excellent summertime music.

Here's their website: http://www.passionpitmusic.com/

Here are some of my personal favourites:
From the "Chunk of Change EP":
I've Got Your Number

(some weird-ass fan-made video)
Cuddle Fuddle

From "Manners":
Moth's Wings

The Reeling

Swimming in the Flood (My favourite track!)

Seaweed Song

Enjoy! smile.gif

• 1 year later...
  • My Little Pony

Shit, this went nowhere. I only now realized how true my opening statement from my last post was. I really should pick this up, again. It could turn out quite beneficial... for myself--I have no illusions of grandeur. Let me restart this by updating the previous entries.

Here's what MuteMath dropped last year. It's called "Odd Soul" and it's sportin' a huge 70s vibe. That means Geoff stay clear.

Odd Soul

Prytania

Tell Your Heart Heads Up

Cavalries

Equals

Quarantine

In No Time

Enjoy!

• My Little Pony

This is what Passion Pit got up to this year. I've already posted a few tracks in another thread, but, like most of my posts, they went unnoticed. So here they are, again. The album is called "Gossamer."

Take a Walk

I'll Be Alright

Carried Away

Constant Conversations

Hideaway

Love is Greed

Where We Belong

Enjoy!

this is my outlook about it, WHO GIVES A FUCK!! FUCK'EM!! if they don't like what you listen to they can go fuck themselves, obviously they don't know what the fuck their talking about, and can blow it out their ass, if you like something, you like it, if they miss something they might enjoy cause their busy being cocksuckers, and know it alls, then guess what, that just tells you something about them

Hey Nolan, thanks for posting all that stuff on Mutemath. I really loved their debut, but must confess to falling behind with their stuff, so am interested to take a listen to some of these............cheers.

Thoughts to follow.

Keep it up my good man! You wouldn't believe what 'crap' I'm listening to (non HH material).

Many of you guys here wouldn't touch it with a stick...

Stefan, I swear to god if you get us busted for listening to Mike Bolton, your going to pay, lets keep it QUIET!!

• My Little Pony

Keep it up my good man! You wouldn't believe what 'crap' I'm listening to (non HH material).

Stefan, I swear to god if you get us busted for listening to Mike Bolton, your going to pay, lets keep it QUIET!!

A lot of us around here listen to Mr. Bolton. Or am I mistaken. Shit... I could be. :unsure:

A lot of us around here listen to Mr. Bolton. Or am I mistaken. Shit... I could be. :unsure:

But we don't listen to MB bro,(wink wink) absolutely not, not us, we were talking about Michael Schenker, that's who we are listening to.

Don't worry, Bolton sucks. Nobody likes him, especially the 2 first releases are really piles of dogpoo... ;)

You show the great one some respect! he is one of the most influential musicians of our time, what does Jon C McGinlley say on Office Space, "Im a huge fan, I celebrate the guys entire catalog"

• 4 months later...
  • My Little Pony

Breakbot

"I wonder what KarpetRydOFunk considered his favourite album of 2012," said no one ever. But here it is anyway.

Breakbot is a French Nu Disco DJ signed to Ed Banger Records which is home to many other French DJ's, most notably Justice. There are many artists that play a style of Nu Disco or Electro-Funk or whatever you wanna call it, but no one quite does it like Breakbot. I believe that is because most other artists lean more towards the Electronic side, while he tries to sound as organic as possible. If you have any appreciation for Funk/Soul/R&B, I encourage you to give this a try. I can't quit it.

Fantasy ft. Ruckazoid

One Out of Two ft, Irfane (This is a cool alternate version for the video I didn't know existed, until now. I'm gonna have to get it. This post has already paid off)

The Mayfly and the Light ft. Irfane

Baby I'm Yours ft. Irfane (This is also a slightly alternate version than what's offered on the album. A few of these tracks he released as singles over the years, and this one he touched up for the album. The bass is much more clean on new version. I decided to give you the video, however, because people like videos. :) )

Another Dawn ft. Irfane

Why ft. Ruckazoid (Hands down my favourite track of 2012, let alone this album!)

A Mile Away ft. Irfane

Well, there you have it. This might be outside the comfort zone for most of you, but I think this could also be a very nice surprise for a couple members. My #1 album of 2012. Breakbot. By Your Side. Not that you care.

Bro your so groovy, just like a movie...

Thats right, and one of her favorite song, ironically???? GROOVUS MAXIMUS!!

• My Little Pony

I'm so ashamed right now. I knew that sounded familiar, but when I Googled it some J-Pop song came up. How did I not know it was Electric Boys?!! So ashamed.

I'm so ashamed right now. I knew that sounded familiar, but when I Googled it some J-Pop song came up. How did I not know it was Electric Boys?!! So ashamed.

Damn, you guys are googling my replies? Im starting to feel like im not being treated like one of you, can you at least put my name in befoe you google shit, maybe i'll start trending?

• My Little Pony

Is this thread about funk bands?

Yes, cousin. It is about terrible, terrible music.

Ha! I was wondering when Geoffery would grace this page. It feels like a thread isn't official until Geoffery arrives.

Is this thread about funk bands?

Yes, cousin. It is about terrible, terrible music.

Ha! I was wondering when Geoffery would grace this page. It feels like a thread isn't official until Geoffery arrives.

Yep.. You know your thread is official once geoff REARS his ugly HEAD. I didn't just say that did I..?... :yikes:

No telling where this thread may go from here... :whistle: