Slyboyz - Good Time Music

JamesEagle

Just wondering what people think of this album? I was thinking about buying the CD, but some reviews suggest that there are only a couple of really good tracks. I've heard a few tracks online, first impressions are:

'Solitaire' is pretty good,

'Dreamin' is good until the chorus, which is a bit disappointing

'The Higher You Get' is a nice ballad

'Keep On Believin' does nothing for me at all, I found this song extremely dull, and

'Autumn Angel' is an average ballad that badly needs a guitar solo.

Any thoughts on the album?

I really like the album. But I like all the stuff from the guys in Savannah. It's worth tracking down, in my opinion. I didn't pay too much on evilbay for my copy.

Cracker of an album. Been a little while since I pulled it out, but going from memory:

1. Solitaire ; honestly one of the best melodic hard rock songs I have ever heard in my life. Flawless.

2. Keep on Believin' ; average.

3. Lil' Too Young ; average, but a bit of fun.

4. What Is Love ; stunning ballad. Love it.

5. Safe Sex ; average.

6. The Higher You Get ; even better ballad than 'What is love.' Beautiful track.

7. Live It Up ; average.

8. Tell Me a Story ; decent hard rocker.

9. Good Time Music ; pretty average again.

10. Autumn Angel ; I actually really like this track. Lovely little acoustic ballad.

11. Hold on to My Heart ; more perfect melodic hard rock. Another album highlight.

12. Dreamin' ; and the album closes how it began - with another huge melodic hard rocker. Love this one too.

In conclusion, yeah half the album is pretty average but the other half is really about as good as it gets, imo. Based on the strength of the good songs, I would not hesitate for a second to pick this up. They are that good.

Cracker of an album. Been a little while since I pulled it out, but going from memory:

1. Solitaire ; honestly one of the best melodic hard rock songs I have ever heard in my life. Flawless.

Ditto!

Not sure what this album sells for these days. but I'm guessing it's out of my price range.

2. Keep on Believin' ; average.

3. Lil' Too Young ; average, but a bit of fun.

4. What Is Love ; stunning ballad. Love it.

5. Safe Sex ; average.

6. The Higher You Get ; even better ballad than 'What is love.' Beautiful track.

7. Live It Up ; average.

8. Tell Me a Story ; decent hard rocker.

9. Good Time Music ; pretty average again.

10. Autumn Angel ; I actually really like this track. Lovely little acoustic ballad.

11. Hold on to My Heart ; more perfect melodic hard rock. Another album highlight.

12. Dreamin' ; and the album closes how it began - with another huge melodic hard rocker. Love this one too.

In conclusion, yeah half the album is pretty average but the other half is really about as good as it gets, imo. Based on the strength of the good songs, I would not hesitate for a second to pick this up. They are that good.

backed! :)

Yep Geoff is spot-on. In fact "Solitaire" is almost worth the entry-price alone....

Encouraging comments. Sounding like I might pick this up, found a copy for just over £10...

• 6 years later...

Another one, when they're good... well, they're actually pretty amazing. When they're not so great, they're not so great. ;)

For me, this CD is a combination of strong musicianship, skillful song writing and personal and professional chemistry that make for a fantastic musical force. Massive harmonies and enough choruses and hooks to drive one wild. When I first heard this CD, it reminded me of bands such as TRADIA, TYKETTO or UNDER FIRE and I found it in my CD player continually. Truly infectious is the proper word. SLYBOYZ members, Dario Dipietrantonio, guitar/vocals, and Marty Olga, keyboards/vocals went on to form another great AOR band, SAVANNAH.

Another one, when they're good... well, they're actually pretty amazing. When they're not so great, they're not so great. ;)

Agreed,but I love Tell Me A Story :)

Agreed,but I love Tell Me A Story :)

For me, 'Solitaire' is one of those epitome of melodic hard rock moments. Benchmark kind of tune, imo.