The Knack Frontman Passes Away

LV KIX

Not sure if anyone has posted this news:

As we previously reported, Knack frontman Doug Fieger died of lung cancer at the age of 57, this past Sunday, February 14, at his home in Woodland Hills, Calif. Though Fieger released six studio albums with the Knack, as well as one solo effort, 'First Things First,' his legacy in pop music will forever be tied to his hit from 1979, "My Sharona."

There are lots of ways to put 'My Sharona' in historical context: the number of artists who have covered it, from Veruca Salt and Yo La Tengo to the Chipmunks and Pearl Jam; the song's occasional reentry into pop culture, like on the soundtrack to 1994's 'Reality Bites,' or when President George W. Bush listed the song on his iPod in 2005; and the sampling of it by acts like Run-DMC on "It's Tricky" and Madonna during her 2006 'Sticky & Sweet' tour.' And then, of course, there are the parodies: from Cheech and Chong turning the song into "My Scrotum" in 'Cheech & Chong's Next Movie' to the Dead Kennedys singing "My Payola." The most famous of these parodies is 'Weird' Al Yankovic's 'My Bologna' -- the song that started Yankovic's career. After hearing of Fieger's passing, Yankovik tweeted, "RIP my dear friend Doug Fieger (lead singer of the Knack and the first artist to ever approve one of my parodies)."

RIP Mr. Fieger... Your song will live forever.

Yeah sad news.....not too cool at the time but the song itself has certainly stood the test of time, and it's reputation has snowballed somewhat.

They were never my bag (as I had long hair and ripped jeans at the time...and they had skinny black ties :o )but everyone should recognise a great power pop song when they hear one.

Like most kids of the time (I was 9 years old), I thought "My Sharona" was a fun song. I remember seeing them play it on "American Bandstand" and thinking it was the coolest thing ever. And yes, I owned the CHIPMUNK PUNK LP with their version of "My Sharona" on it. I was wikkid tr00!

What I don't like about it is that so many bands have done jokey, ironic-on-purpose covers of it in recent years (i.e. Destruction, HammerFall)

R.I.P. Doug.

Here's the Chipmunk version of "My Sharona" that I mentioned earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQQudr5VNw

The ultimate tribute. You know you've "made it" when the Chipmunks cover your song.

True story: My brother found our copy of the old CHIPMUNK PUNK LP wayyyyy in the recesses of our parents' basement a while back and hung onto it for a goof. Then he sez a couple of his friends came over one night, found it in his stack of records and they went crazy for it, they made him put it on the stereo while they drank beer & played cards. My brother was amazed at how he has all these hundreds of vintage, wicked underground classic metal LPs and yet the only one that his stupid friends wanted to hear was CHIPMUNK PUNK. Haha!!!

I happened to love this song back in the day. It was and still is catchy as hell. They had other good songs as well. "Good Girls Don't", "Frustrated" and my other fave from them "Baby Talks Dirty". Fun stuf and yes it all reminds me of skating rinks.

R.I.P. Doug

wasn't the Van Halen song YOU REALLY GOT ME a cover from these guys?

You're thinking of The Kinks.

R.I.P. Doug

*Interestingly... I just picked up BK3 by Bruce Kulick the other day, and Doug sings track 6, "Dirty Girl". I dare say this is probably his last recorded work.

You're thinking of The Kinks.

thank you

No problemo. :beerbang: