Stage Dolls - Always (2010)

T-BONE

I have no idea why they haven't updated their website in months either. You'd think they'd be up on that for promotion of their new CD? Raining On A Sunny Day is the first single, but I don't know why... It's a little too lite and should have been the 2nd single in my opinion. Always should be the first. Once again, a very good combo of Bryan Adams and Def Leppard type chosuses, but they also add in some very soulfull backup singers this time for added punch. This is a nice continuation of their last release Get A Life from 2004

2edwmy1.jpg

Torstein Flakne - Guitar and vocals

Terje Storli - Bass

Morten Skogstad - Drums and percussion

1. Always

2. Rainin 'On A Sunny Day

3. Rollin '

4. Highway's Open

5. Eye Of My Heart

6. Better Off Pretty

7. Taillights

8. Saturday Night

9. Where The Blacktop Ends

10. My Strangest Friend

Rainin' On A Sunny Day

Always

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-MNxLJ83JU

I have this one on the way as we speak. Some of the sounbytes I heard were fabulous, so this promises to be a strong disc to start off the new year. Hopefully it will be as good as the last 'Get A Life' disc which was awesome. Should be here within the week hopefully.

That's good news !! :guitbannana: :guitbannana:

• 2 weeks later...

So what's the early verdict on this one so far? I don't really like to speak ill of this band but I can't really hide the fact that I'm disappointed this time round. This album is almost as soft as 'Dig'. It's very, very lite. Much liter than I expected.

'Always' is a great, traditional Stage Dolls track but after that the album just doesn't really rock at all again. There are blatant, terrible fillers like 'Rollin', 'Where The Blacktop Ends' and 'My Strangest Friend'. And 'Saturday night' is pretty awful too - plus it sounds identical to Bryan Adams' 'Kids wanna rock'.

The other songs are pretty decent, but so mellow. Yep, really not sure about this one at all. Based on early impressions I'd have to call it their 2nd weakest album yet - better than 'Dig' but weaker than 'Stripped'.

I think it's a little lighter too, but I still like it. Oddly enough, Where The Blacktop Ends is one of the tunes I really liked. It's upbeat with a little rockin' country feel to it. On the downside, I got a little sick of the soulful backup singers on most tracks. One here or there would have been fine, but that's been overdone on all the tracks.

On the downside, I got a little sick of the soulful backup singers on most tracks. One here or there would have been fine, but that's been overdone on all the tracks.

Yeah, hating that aspect of the album too.

Been playing this virtually all week since it dropped through the letterbox and can safely say that this is a pretty damned good record, especially tracks 1-6 which are all good, 'Rainin' On A Summers Day' and the brilliant ''Eye Of My Heart' being my faves. It falls off a little towards the end with 'Saturday Night' being,as Geoff says, a bit of a Bryan Adams 'Kids Wanna Rock' wannabe (which was by far the worst track on the brilliant 'Reckless' album) and the new country'ish 'Where The Blacktop Ends' which is ok, but not a great track.

So that's 8 out of 10 good songs for me and a great little album. Killer sound/production too. I would rank this sort of in the middle of the Stage Dolls catologue, ie not as good as the S/T or 'Get A Life', but better than 'Dig', 'Stripped' and the best moments on par with some of 'Soldiers Gun' and 'Commandos'

Stage Dolls have always been the Norwegian Bryan Adams to me, this new album is a good one & a very enjoyable listen indeed but sadly I doubt it'd achieve a listing in my top 20 of 2010. This may not even get into my top 30 just looking at whats ahead this year :)

Yeah, I was going to make comments like that too, but didn't know how high to go. Not an awful disc, but I can't honestly see this anywhere near my top 30 come year end. :(

• 7 years later...

I agree with the dudes who correctly state the obvious, that there are fillers on board, but jeez these guys have some great songs in their discography too.