Psuedo Echo - 'Race'

Geoff

Just finished up my reading and my thoughts were confirmed. I have passed CDs from this band in bargain bins for eternity and never thought of picking one up, (correctly) assuming they were some ugly Aussie pop group. Though admittedly I never saw 'Race' in these bargain bins.

Anyway, Matty-Boo recently told me to buy their CD called 'Race' from 1989 in the Secondspin sales because it was awesome. It was dirt cheap, so I took the plunge and what can I say, Matty-Boo has delivered once again! This is really good stuff. Slick melodic rock / AOR, almost like a slightly heavier version of 1927 perhaps? This 'Race' CD is actually really, really good. After reading up on them I will not be purchasing any of their other CDs, but if you can track this one down (Matty-Boo and) I highly recommend it!

Tracks:

1. Fooled Again

2. Over Tomorrow

3. Caught

4. Imagination

5. Don't you forget

6. Runaways

7. Searching for a glory

8. Take on the world

9. Metropolis

10.Eye of the storm

If you don't believe me, check out this review from Trendfabrik.com:

ONE OF THE BEST AOR RELASES FROM DOWN UNDER; A MUST HAVE FOR EVERY AOR COLLECTION !!!

In 1989, PSEUDO ECHO released their third album titled ‘Race’. With the release of this album, things became quite interesting for the AOR fan. ‘Race’ was filled with classic 80’s AOR that sounded quite Canadian. There are clear similarities to bands like HONEYMOON SUITE, the first HAREM SCAREM, HAYWIRE, BYSTANDER and also you may pick up some FM or STRANGEWAYS references.

Mentioning such big AOR bands, this can only be a classic. And that’s what I would call this album: an AOR classic that is pretty unknown among the AOR fans. I don’t know why the band changed their music direction into this type of great AOR, but I am glad they did. Maybe it is due to the fact that co-producers/mixers like Bob Clearmountain, Brian Malouf and Paul Lani helped the band on ‘Race’. 3 well-known names in the AOR scene. Not one track is weak on ‘Race’.

The CD contains 10 great AOR tracks, from the opener “Fooled again” till the closing track “Eye of the storm”, you can hear all the ingredients and standards that an AOR fan likes to hear in an AOR band. Almost every song has a brilliant hookline too! What more do you need! PSEUDO ECHO featured the brothers James (on keyboards) and Vince Leigh (on drums), Perre Gigliotti (on bass) and Brian Canham (on lead vocals and guitars. They all wrote together their own songs, and no outside writer helped them.

Basically, you get 7 uptempo AOR rockers (“Fooled again”, “Over tomorrow”, “Imagination”, “Don’t you forget”, “Runaways”, “Take on the world” and “Eye of the storm”), 1 short instrumental (“Metropolis”) and 2 fantastic semi-AOR ballads (“Caught” and “Searching for a glory”). Those 2 semi-AOR ballads “Caught” (similar in style to early FM mixed with early STRANGEWAYS) and “Searching for a glory” (a bit like ROXUS on their ‘Nightstreet’ album) are definitely the best tracks and are classic AOR for sure.

The rockers are great too, the best ones being “Eye of the storm” and “Over tomorrow” that can without any doubts, easily be compared to HONEYMOON SUITE in their heydays! The guitars, keys and backing vocals on the whole album sound just too perfect and that’s where the sad story comes to an end. Because just when things became interesting for the AOR fan, PSEUDO ECHO split and the incredible album ‘Race’ never had a follow-up.

Last words I can add are that every AOR fan must have this ‘Race’ album of PSEUDO ECHO in their collection, if not, grab a copy today!

It certainly is a very good, solid AOR disc with some great tunes on it, but I certainly wouldn't label it an AOR classic, or put it anywhere near the best releases by any of the bands mentioned above. Nice pick though Geoff and be careful to avoid the other 2 like the plague. ;)

It certainly is a very good, solid AOR disc with some great tunes on it, but I certainly wouldn't label it an AOR classic, or put it anywhere near the best releases by any of the bands mentioned above. Nice pick though Geoff and be careful to avoid the other 2 like the plague. ;)

Yeah, that review gets a bit crazy to be honest. As good as the disc is I'd be lying if I said I could hear any Harem Scarem, FM or Strangeways in their sound. As I said, I hear more 1927 or even Choirboys in their sound (maybe 'cause they're Aussie too?). But I prefer this to that 'Big Bad Noise' CD from Choirboys ten times over.

And yeah, don't worry mate. I've avoided their other CDs all my life and will continue doing so. :) This one is a great little surprise, though.

Most of this bands stuff was a bit too new-wave/synthy for my liking but 'Race' is very good and shows that they can write some good rock songs as well. I also have 'Best Adventures' which is good if you want more of an overview of the bands different styles.

Here's a challenge for ya!

Play "Race" and then play either of the two first Brighton Rock albums.... almost identical music!

Yeh im totally in love with Race. My mate Vince, a fellow Aussie, put me on to it (hi Vince! you aor bandit you!)... and its amazing.. but especially amazing is the solos!

Geoff likes me!

Here's a challenge for ya!

Play "Race" and then play either of the two first Brighton Rock albums.... almost identical music!

Yeh im totally in love with Race. My mate Vince, a fellow Aussie, put me on to it (hi Vince! you aor bandit you!)... and its amazing.. but especially amazing is the solos!

Geoff likes me!

Is it too soon to use the word 'love'?

I actually agree with the solo comment too. Very nice, crisp seasoned recipe solos throughout the disc.

Awesome album from Pseudo Echo. Whilst I do like their other material this is by far the most AOR related. I have only ever seen it once on CD (and I snapped it up) at Amoeba in San Francisco when I was over there. I understand they (the band) do not look on this album too favourably as it was not really their thing. They were flown to the U.S. to cut it and felt it was too 'Van Halen-ish' - a case of the Americans trying to turn them into something they were not, from what I understand. It worked for Whitesnake (1987) but sadly for these guys, well, it didn't. It hit the bargain bins and Pseudo Echo called it a day. Another AOR crime...

Graham

Just finished up my reading and my thoughts were confirmed. I have passed CDs from this band in bargain bins for eternity and never thought of picking one up, (correctly) assuming they were some ugly Aussie pop group. Though admittedly I never saw 'Race' in these bargain bins.

Anyway, Matty-Boo recently told me to buy their CD called 'Race' from 1989 in the Secondspin sales because it was awesome. It was dirt cheap, so I took the plunge and what can I say, Matty-Boo has delivered once again! This is really good stuff. Slick melodic rock / AOR, almost like a slightly heavier version of 1927 perhaps? This 'Race' CD is actually really, really good. After reading up on them I will not be purchasing any of their other CDs, but if you can track this one down (Matty-Boo and) I highly recommend it!

Tracks:

1. Fooled Again

2. Over Tomorrow

3. Caught

4. Imagination

5. Don't you forget

6. Runaways

7. Searching for a glory

8. Take on the world

9. Metropolis

10.Eye of the storm

If you don't believe me, check out this review from Trendfabrik.com:

ONE OF THE BEST AOR RELASES FROM DOWN UNDER; A MUST HAVE FOR EVERY AOR COLLECTION !!!

In 1989, PSEUDO ECHO released their third album titled ‘Race’. With the release of this album, things became quite interesting for the AOR fan. ‘Race’ was filled with classic 80’s AOR that sounded quite Canadian. There are clear similarities to bands like HONEYMOON SUITE, the first HAREM SCAREM, HAYWIRE, BYSTANDER and also you may pick up some FM or STRANGEWAYS references.

Mentioning such big AOR bands, this can only be a classic. And that’s what I would call this album: an AOR classic that is pretty unknown among the AOR fans. I don’t know why the band changed their music direction into this type of great AOR, but I am glad they did. Maybe it is due to the fact that co-producers/mixers like Bob Clearmountain, Brian Malouf and Paul Lani helped the band on ‘Race’. 3 well-known names in the AOR scene. Not one track is weak on ‘Race’.

The CD contains 10 great AOR tracks, from the opener “Fooled again” till the closing track “Eye of the storm”, you can hear all the ingredients and standards that an AOR fan likes to hear in an AOR band. Almost every song has a brilliant hookline too! What more do you need! PSEUDO ECHO featured the brothers James (on keyboards) and Vince Leigh (on drums), Perre Gigliotti (on bass) and Brian Canham (on lead vocals and guitars. They all wrote together their own songs, and no outside writer helped them.

Basically, you get 7 uptempo AOR rockers (“Fooled again”, “Over tomorrow”, “Imagination”, “Don’t you forget”, “Runaways”, “Take on the world” and “Eye of the storm”), 1 short instrumental (“Metropolis”) and 2 fantastic semi-AOR ballads (“Caught” and “Searching for a glory”). Those 2 semi-AOR ballads “Caught” (similar in style to early FM mixed with early STRANGEWAYS) and “Searching for a glory” (a bit like ROXUS on their ‘Nightstreet’ album) are definitely the best tracks and are classic AOR for sure.

The rockers are great too, the best ones being “Eye of the storm” and “Over tomorrow” that can without any doubts, easily be compared to HONEYMOON SUITE in their heydays! The guitars, keys and backing vocals on the whole album sound just too perfect and that’s where the sad story comes to an end. Because just when things became interesting for the AOR fan, PSEUDO ECHO split and the incredible album ‘Race’ never had a follow-up.

Last words I can add are that every AOR fan must have this ‘Race’ album of PSEUDO ECHO in their collection, if not, grab a copy today!

Awesome album from Pseudo Echo. Whilst I do like their other material this is by far the most AOR related. I have only ever seen it once on CD (and I snapped it up) at Amoeba in San Francisco when I was over there. I understand they (the band) do not look on this album too favourably as it was not really their thing. They were flown to the U.S. to cut it and felt it was too 'Van Halen-ish' - a case of the Americans trying to turn them into something they were not, from what I understand. It worked for Whitesnake (1987) but sadly for these guys, well, it didn't. It hit the bargain bins and Pseudo Echo called it a day. Another AOR crime...

Graham

Yeah, based on what I've read I gathered the same thing. Sounds like they were trying to fit in with the "hair metal" scene but yeah, apparently the album bombed completely because their pop fans were not please with the harder rocking direction and I guess a lot of rock/metal fans wouldn't give it a go because of the 'Funky town' song and past reputation. Shame, because although it may not have their heart and soul in it, it still sounds awesome.

Graham

Yeah, based on what I've read I gathered the same thing. Sounds like they were trying to fit in with the "hair metal" scene but yeah, apparently the album bombed completely because their pop fans were not please with the harder rocking direction and I guess a lot of rock/metal fans wouldn't give it a go because of the 'Funky town' song and past reputation. Shame, because although it may not have their heart and soul in it, it still sounds awesome.

'Awesome' is not a word I would use to describe this album. Middle of the road AOR, yeah maybe. When I first heard Elevenor last year it reminded me of this album....good songs but nothing ever quite clicks to make it special.

From memory, 'Over Tomorrow' is a good tune and the last track rocks a bit, but the others I could take or leave to be honest. All a bit cheesy for my liking........

Comparing it to HS, FM etc is just complete madness IMO.

Cheers

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I saw Pseudo Echo with a mate one Wednesday night in Bell Street Preston.

We were really bored and thought "what the hell" and ventured out to see them play their pop funk mainstream stuff.

Unbeknownst to us at the time, they had recorded Race and played pretty much the whole album.

Surprising as hell and made it an awesome night.

They also got some dude from the crowd up to sing VH - Jump.

Since them I've loved this album.

Never really did anything for them sadly - wrong time, place, and wrong band probably for music like this.

The did win some music contest (not Eurovision) with Take On The World, which got them limited press at the time.

Don't think they play any of this music any more when they do shown.

Brian Canham's Brill album is worth picking up (or downloading as you probably won't find it any more)

A step in yet another direction with a fairly mellow sound, but a few great songs.