House of Lords - Cartesian Dreams

heaven&hell

The reason "Bangin" was referenced was, in all likelihood, because it is a monster fucking tune. AM just giving the CD its first listen. So far I'm quite impressed.

-Dan

Just listened to the clips which have been posted - I have to say that this sounds a lot more interesting than Come To My Kingdom.

Quite impressed with most tracks - I may well pick this up.

In fact 'The Bigger They Come' sounds pretty stunning :headbanger:

Very nice.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only album I've ever kept from HOL is "Demons Down". That album is a masterpiece imo. So, when I read that they brought back songwriter Mark Baker from Demons Down, I knew I had to give this new one a chance. And damn am I glad I did. Based on the song samples over at melodicrock, I will definitely be buying this album. "Born To Be Your Baby", "Bangin'", "The Bigger They Come", and "Saved By Rock" are huge anthems not to be missed. Sometimes a little songwriting help makes all the difference in the world.

• 4 weeks later...

Have had a spin of this one and colour me impressed. I'd call it their closest disc to 'Demons Down' yet. It still has a similar vibe to the last two but also a little more balls. I need a few more spins, but very favourable first impression.

• 3 weeks later...

Got this in the mail yesterday and I've spun it twice already. Damn it's good to hear HOL and James Christian back on their game. I'm gonna chalk it up that their smartest move was bringing Mark Baker from 'Demons Down' back in to help write the songs. This is a very good album. It's probably the best straight up melodic hard rock album of the year so far (I'm separating this from the modern hard rock category). Most of the huge anthems have already been mentioned in previous posts, but one track that seems to have slipped under the radar is 'Never Never Look Back'. That is another kick ass track that just rocks out. About the only tune that I didn't care for on this album was 'Desert Rain'. 'Repo Man' is good filler for me, but the rest of the album is just pure HOL bliss. Bravo guys. James' voice was even sounding good on this release. If you were one who had written off HOL for good like I had, I implore you to give this album a shot. You won't regret it.

Got this in the mail yesterday and I've spun it twice already. Damn it's good to hear HOL and James Christian back on their game. I'm gonna chalk it up that their smartest move was bringing Mark Baker from 'Demons Down' back in to help write the songs. This is a very good album. It's probably the best straight up melodic hard rock album of the year so far (I'm separating this from the modern hard rock category). Most of the huge anthems have already been mentioned in previous posts, but one track that seems to have slipped under the radar is 'Never Never Look Back'. That is another kick ass track that just rocks out. About the only tune that I didn't care for on this album was 'Desert Rain'. 'Repo Man' is good filler for me, but the rest of the album is just pure HOL bliss. Bravo guys. James' voice was even sounding good on this release. If you were one who had written off HOL for good like I had, I implore you to give this album a shot. You won't regret it.

Good to see it mate. I hope this encourages you to give the last two albums a proper go too, as both are excellent.

Good to see it mate. I hope this encourages you to give the last two albums a proper go too, as both are excellent.

Backed especially "World Upside Down".

So maybe I'm listening to a different album to everyone else, but this is a total dead-loss IMO. Seriously not one single killer song on here, unlike the last disc which had a few. And the production is terrible, whoever mixed this is a (deaf) clown. Where the hell are the hooks? Mark Baker may have been brought back on the strength of his writing on "Demons Down", but this is a million miles from that album and is actually right down there with "The Power & The Myth" as being the worst things this band has put out. This may be heavier than the last couple of discs, but it sure as hell isn't as good.

Bloody rubbish IMHO, and the single biggest disappointment of 2009.

So maybe I'm listening to a different album to everyone else, but this is a total dead-loss IMO. Seriously not one single killer song on here, unlike the last disc which had a few. And the production is terrible, whoever mixed this is a (deaf) clown. Where the hell are the hooks? Mark Baker may have been brought back on the strength of his writing on "Demons Down", but this is a million miles from that album and is actually right down there with "The Power & The Myth" as being the worst things this band has put out. This may be heavier than the last couple of discs, but it sure as hell isn't as good.

Wow mate youve got the knives out recently.

There are afew fillers in the middle part of the album, but it ends and certainly begins strongly. I really enjoyed at least the first 5 songs and 'Bangin' and 'Harder They Come' were good as well.

Overall a good effort.

There are afew fillers in the middle part of the album, but it ends and certainly begins strongly. I really enjoyed at least the first 5 songs and 'Bangin' and 'Harder They Come' were good as well.

Overall a good effort.

I'm with Glen on this one as well, every time I listen to it I like it a bit more. I still have the new D2 above it for the CD of the year but it's a damn fine effort to me. :)

Overall a good effort.

I'm with Glen on this one as well, every time I listen to it I like it a bit more. I still have the new D2 above it for the CD of the year but it's a damn fine effort to me. :)

Yeah ive got quite a few above it....Steel Panther, D2, Kiss (definitely), Gotthard and of course your effort is still riding v high! Actually listened to it in the car today and it continues to kick my arse! You rock my man!

Cheers

Overall a good effort.

FarCry>D2

Overall a good effort.

FarCry>D2

Haha, maybe I'm biased... nope I still like D2 better... damn I just LOVE that freakin' disc!

Overall a good effort.

FarCry>D2

Haha, maybe I'm biased... nope I still like D2 better... damn I just LOVE that freakin' disc!

Don't get me wrong it's really good and all but doesn't hold a candle to their first 3 discs or even 'Four the Hard Way'. Plus I've played the FarCry disc more than any other disc so far this year so it's gonna be tough to top that one of Heaven&Hell's for album of the year. But maybe after I live with the D2 that might change but who knows. :tumbsup:

Overall a good effort.

FarCry>D2

Don't get me wrong it's really good and all but doesn't hold a candle to their first 3 discs or even 'Four the Hard Way'. Plus I've played the FarCry disc more than any other disc so far this year so it's gonna be tough to top that one of Heaven&Hell's for album of the year. But maybe after I live with the D2 that might change but who knows. :tumbsup:

D2 is excellent - their best after the debut for me.

Gasp.....BLASPHEMY!!!!!! :hammer:

First spin didn't do a lot for me I must admit and I was a little disappointed, but the tunes are working their way in now after 4-5 spins. There are some quality songs on here, but definitely some filler in the middle aswell and generally, these songs are nowhere near as good as the stuff on 'Demons Down' and I will say, not as good as the last 2 albums either for that matter. TIM mentions the mix and I must admit , I have heard alot better - the drum sound on here is poor aswell. It will get plenty more spins in the coming weeks though and will make more of an impact one me I am sure.

Overall a good effort.

FarCry>D2

Frankly if albums like HOL and D2 (and Gotthard) are winning best album polls then that proves how poor a year it's been for Melodic Rock. The D2 album is strong but hardly a classic.

This disc is just not good enough, and the production is hopeless.

Overall a good effort.

FarCry>D2

Frankly if albums like HOL and D2 (and Gotthard) are winning best album polls then that proves how poor a year it's been for Melodic Rock. The D2 album is strong but hardly a classic.

Well let's put it this way, non of those 3 will be in my top 10 (or even 20 at the moment) - All have their very good bits don't get me wrong, but all certainly have their bad bits aswell, and compared to some of the awesome stuff we have had so far this year, they are way behind.

Just to check I'm not listening to a totally different CD I thought I'd list my comments on the songs. (If you love this album then look away now!)

1. Cartesian Dreams - Decent opener, big sound and lush keys. A bit proggy for my tastes but a good start.

2. Born To Be Your Baby - WTF? Who wrote that chorus line? Horrid.

3. Desert Rain - This is better, cool slower tune with a nice chorus. Better but still not exactly earth-shattering.

4. Sweet September - A decent ballad, though it does sound like a Robin Beck outtake...

5. Bangin' - Decent guitar, but more horrible lyrics. Who the fuck is writing this garbage? An okay song.

6. A Simple Plan - Another truly dreadful chorus spoils this one. No melody, no hook, nothing.

7. Never Look Back - Probably the highlight. Nice keys, decent harmonies in a cool chorus. Good stuff.

8. The Bigger They Come - Similar to the previous song, cool chorus and a decent tune.

9. Repo Man - Another poorly written song with a weak-as-piss chorus-line. Total filler.

10. Saved By Rock - Step aside "The Power & The Myth", this album contains solely the worst ever HOL song. AWFUL.

11. Joanna - Who thought that "Woah Woah Joanna" would be a good chorus? Not me, that's for fucking sure. Crap.

12. The Train (bonus track) - At least it closes with a decent ballad. Closing with "Joanna" would've been criminal.

Overall I'd give this about a 4/10. This band seriously need to take a break for a while and stop churning out this stuff so regularly - and get some consistency with their songwriters. The writing on this thing is complete and utter garbage...

Surprised by the D2 comments in this thread - that album is pretty damned good to these ears. Everything I would expect from Ted and the boys :-)

HOL I could take or leave............

Surprised by the D2 comments in this thread - that album is pretty damned good to these ears. Everything I would expect from Ted and the boys :-)

HOL I could take or leave............

I really like the D2 as there's not a song I dislike but I would of liked them to rock a little more.

As for the HOL I haven't been able to make it through one time yet and this is coming from a guy that loved the last two discs and consider their first three discs classics of the genre.

Just to check I'm not listening to a totally different CD I thought I'd list my comments on the songs. (If you love this album then look away now!)

This band seriously need to take a break for a while and stop churning out this stuff so regularly -

:unsure: In all honesty, I have listened to all the samples and going by them, I have no intention whatsoever of getting this so I have to agree with Tim here.

I will get a cdr copy of it and give it a few spins to see if it grows on me in any way but the prognosis for this happening does not look to good at all.

I'll wait 4 months and see what their next album is like :whistle:

This band seriously need to take a break for a while and stop churning out this stuff so regularly -

:unsure: In all honesty, I have listened to all the samples and going by them, I have no intention whatsoever of getting this so I have to agree with Tim here.

I will get a cdr copy of it and give it a few spins to see if it grows on me in any way but the prognosis for this happening does not look to good at all.

I'll wait 4 months and see what their next album is like :whistle:

:rofl2: