R.I.P. Midnight

metaltrekman

From Blabbermouth.net

Former CRIMSON GLORY Singer MIDNIGHT Dead At 47 - July 8, 2009

BLABBERMOUTH.NET has learned that former CRIMSON GLORY frontman Midnight (real name: John Patrick Jr. McDonald) passed away earlier today (Wednesday, July 8) from "total kidney and liver failure." He was 47 years old.

According to JON OLIVA'S PAIN guitarist Matt LaPorte, who played on some of Midnight's recent solo recordings, the singer spent his final hours surrounded by his mother, brother, daughter as well as members of CRIMSON GLORY, SAVATAGE, and JON OLIVA'S PAIN. His death occurred at 3:45 a.m EST at St. Anthony's Hospital in St. Petersburg, Florida.

"I will miss my partner Midnight — the greatest voice and friend I've ever known," LaPorte told BLABBERMOUTH.NET. He added, "In spite of his demons, [Midnight] was a beautiful soul who constantly changed the lives of those he met and came into contact with."

Midnight sang on CRIMSON GLORY's first three albums — "Crimson Glory" (1986), "Transcendence" (1988) and "Strange and Beautiful" (1991) — before going into self-imposed exile for almost a decade. He eventually rejoined CRIMSON GLORY in 2005 but was dismissed in January 2007 following the revelation that he was arrested in Sarasota, Florida and charged with "DUI [driving under the influence] with .20 [blood-alcohol level] or higher or having a passenger under 18" years of age. Midnight, who gave his occupation as "painter" to the authorities at the time of the arrest, was also cited for driving with a suspended/ cancelled/ revoked license.

Last fall, Midnight announced plans to release a new solo CD called "All Souls Midnight" which was to feature the "Acoustic Crimson" EP (four songs) along with the lost "Midnight Mass" recordings from the late '80s/early '90s plus some other "cool rarities."

Wow, there you go. Can't lie and say I was ever a fan, but there was no mistaking that voice. Very unique. R.I.P. Midnight.

This blows. My roommate and I met Midnight (briefly) at a Crimson Glory show in New York City back in '89. He seemed like a very nice guy, but apparently he had battles with some personal demons that eventually f**ked him out of his position in the band, and now has cost him his life.

Will be cranking the C.G. catalog tomorrow in tribute. :beerbang:

Just in case anyone's interested, I posted some pix I took @ the Crimson Glory NYC gig I mentioned earlier in this old thread:

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.ph...0Glory&st=0

Lots of other neat stuff there too. Now that I'm thinkin' about it I really oughta dig thru the archives for some other pix to update it...

Flipping heck, only just seen this although I never really got properly into them having only bought their 1st album it's still sad news. R.I.P. Midnight.

Sucks, I know I was a huge fan!!!

• 4 weeks later...