Musical elements

Musical Elements  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Listening to music is different for everyone. We all enjoy different genres, artists, production styles and lyrical topics. But of all the music you listen to, what elements do you think are the most important towards making a great song? Rock the vote! :guitbannana:

From the list I went with melody, but there is no doubt that for a really good song to work all the above boxes (except for keyboards) must be ticked. :) But yeah, no point me listening to a song if there's nothing to hum or sing along to.

Vocals make or break it for me... I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard a new song/band and said "Hey, this sounds pretty good" till the singer opens his mouth and ruins it.

Could I seriously have ticked more than one box? Sorry, I f*cked up.

In that case I would have ticked these (in order):

1. Melody

2. Lead vocals

3. Lyrics

4. Rhythm guitar

5. Production

For a truly great song to work I need to thoroughly enjoy the lyrics, it's got to be juicily melodic, I definitely prefer good vocals because there are great bands that ruin the experience for me with poor vocals (eg. those Britny Fox/Cinderella styled screamers).

I love good rhythm guitar work, especially when people start getting those Fate and Masquerade styles going. And the production is not essential for a good song, but it is essential for me to fully enjoy that great song. Example - 'Private Blue world' by Jani Lane is one of my favourite songs but the poor demo quality kills it for me.

Next up (in order):

6. Drums

7. Backing vocals

8. Lead guitar

9. Bass guitar

LOVE a huge beefy drum sound, prefer big backing vocals (though Silly Fools prove it's not utterly essential... but definitely preferred) and I do like a good lead guitarist, but it is in no way essential. I always thought the guy in Tuff was useless in his solos, but their debut is one of my all-time favourite albums and it never mattered because he could whip out killer riffs and awesome rhythm guitar work. As for bass (one step away from keyboards) - well, couldn't care less about the guy's level of talent, as long as it sounds beefy. eg. Firehouse.

And a very distant last, because I generally prefer songs without keyboards:

10. Keyboards

Could I seriously have ticked more than one box? Sorry, I f*cked up.

In that case I would have ticked these (in order):

1. Melody

2. Lead vocals

3. Lyrics

4. Rhythm guitar

5. Production

For a truly great song to work I need to thoroughly enjoy the lyrics, it's got to be juicily melodic, I definitely prefer good vocals because there are great bands that ruin the experience for me with poor vocals (eg. those Britny Fox/Cinderella styled screamers).

I love good rhythm guitar work, especially when people start getting those Fate and Masquerade styles going. And the production is not essential for a good song, but it is essential for me to fully enjoy that great song. Example - 'Private Blue world' by Jani Lane is one of my favourite songs but the poor demo quality kills it for me.

Next up (in order):

6. Drums

7. Backing vocals

8. Lead guitar

9. Bass guitar

LOVE a huge beefy drum sound, prefer big backing vocals (though Silly Fools prove it's not utterly essential... but definitely preferred) and I do like a good lead guitarist, but it is in no way essential. I always thought the guy in Tuff was useless in his solos, but their debut is one of my all-time favourite albums and it never mattered because he could whip out killer riffs and awesome rhythm guitar work. As for bass (one step away from keyboards) - well, couldn't care less about the guy's level of talent, as long as it sounds beefy. eg. Firehouse.

And a very distant last, because I generally prefer songs without keyboards:

10. Keyboards

I agree 100% Geoff.

You're smarter than you look. :whistle:

I think for me you should have had a box for, Overproduced Backing Vocals and Melodys, I'm a sucker for it, it could have shitty fucking everything, and as long as it has some sort of descent lead guitar riffs, you bring in that big fucking fake sounding wall of 100 layers of backing vocals(with melody and harmony) and Ill over look just about anything, but catchy choruses always suck mein pretty fast as well!