Highest Dream - 'Far Away From Here'

Geoff

highestdream.jpg

Glen, Ian and I have been clogging up the 'What's spinning' thread so time to put an end to it. This CD was released at the end of March this year.

Ian and Glen appear to be fans, but I am far from sold. You be the judge:

Myspace

Buy it here:

CD Baby

Track list:

1 Intro

2 Restless Dreamer

3 Can't Fight Hearts

4 Helpin' Hand

5 Faw Away From Here

6 All I Want

7 Reach Higher

8 Love Makes You Cry

9 I Will Find You

10 Not An Angel

11 Never Be Apart

I think if you are into the more keyboard dominayed AOR you might like this, but I personally found it severely lacking. Firstly, to be blunt, I hate the keyboard sound. I just thought the first half of this disc completely plodded along. To be honest, I didn't even get through it all the first time but Glen noted yesterday that the last 2 songs were great. So I spun it again (still hated the start) but I have to admit, 'I will find you' is a sleek melodic rocker, 'Not an angel' is another nice tune and 'Never be apart' is a decent ballad. Aside from that, though, the other tracks did not impress me at all. If you liked releases from last year by H.A.R.D, Homerun and Hungryheart you will probably like this. I did end up liking Hungryheart (another album that didn't really shine until the last 3 songs) but I thought the other 2 were horribly weak by-the-numbers AOR.

So I'll let y'all decide. You dig this or not?

Haven't got my copy yet (on the way as we speak), but I really really like all the tracks from their myspace page and the other 2 or 3 I have also heard. Vocalist sounds a little like Bon Jovi and is adequate without being great, but I loved the keyboards especially on here, very 80's (Asia and Survivor especially come to mind) and quite pompy in places, which suit this type of Pure AOR sound very well. Asia and Survivor are a good angle to approach this band from, especially on some of the arrangements, aswell a bits of Journey and a hint of Toto and The Heartplay debut album springs to mind aswell. If you don't like Keyboard heavy Pure AOR, then you ain't gonna like this very much, but for what this band (duo) are doing, they do it very well and have have pretty much nailed it for the AOR fan.

Vocalist sounds a little like Bon Jovi and is adequate without being great,

Yeah, I think you pretty much hit everything else on the head with the style of AOR it is, which is probably why it didn't really appeal to me, but mate, not sure about this comment at all. I think you might be changing your mind pretty quick when the CD arrives. ;)

I believe the band is from Brazil and you can hear every note and sound of his accent, much like those other 3 bands I mentioned above (the 'H' tribe) but I can hear no Bon Jovi at all - maybe just me? I'm sure you'll probably dig this one too.

Oh, and add Hardreams to the list too, of bands they sound like. And no, I promise I'm not just looking at every band starting with 'H' out there. They literally all have a very similar sound.

Now, if only a couple took some tips from H.E.A.T...

Vocalist sounds a little like Bon Jovi and is adequate without being great,

Yeah, I think you pretty much hit everything else on the head with the style of AOR it is, which is probably why it didn't really appeal to me, but mate, not sure about this comment at all. I think you might be changing your mind pretty quick when the CD arrives. ;)

I believe the band is from Brazil and you can hear every note and sound of his accent, much like those other 3 bands I mentioned above (the 'H' tribe) but I can hear no Bon Jovi at all - maybe just me? I'm sure you'll probably dig this one too.

He has accented vocals, but the actual sound of his voice reminds me a of BJ for sure.

isn't highest dreams about be issud through frontiers records??

I got the impression they were on Escape.

Decent AOR, but nothing ground breaking. As I said before the last 2 tracks are very nice though.

What about 'I will find you'? IMO that is the highlight of the disc. :)

• 2 years later...

Ohh dear. I just listened to 'Never Be Apart' and the title track courtesy of Youtube and now I am very miserable. I found both tunes extremely soft (which isn't necessarily negative) and incredibly boring (which is). Need some metal! Quick! Ahh, that's better.

• 4 years later...
  • My Little Pony

Did anyone get into this release? I absolutely love it. Seems they like they are long gone now already.

Definitely missed it back then.

Also, I just noticed you put up an actual photo of yourself. Nice.

Did anyone get into this release? I absolutely love it. Seems they like they are long gone now already.

You actually made me laugh with that comment - gotta be a first for everything ;)

On topic : I can not remember one thing about this release.

You actually made me laugh with that comment - gotta be a first for everything ;)

PS - I see you put up a photo of you too :)

What this guy said.

Nice, but pretty damn safe song. I can see why I forgot about it before I had finished spinning it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...