What happened to you favorite rock club/bar?

zrock63

I'll chip in here & give a big shout out toThe Esplanade in Southend -had so many awesome nights in there and saw amongst others, Thunder, Love/Hate, Pearl Jam, Crown Of Thorns. Awesome times & the DJ was a major fan of our genre.

Also The Astoria - now criminally torn down - I saw just about every band you care to mention in that joint including D2 (debut tour), Dare, Magnum, enuff z nuff, Dan Reed, Bonfire (point blank tour), motor head, little angels, Dio, alterBridge, Nightwish, disturbed, Papa Roach, Slipknot (debut tour & carnage), FM the list is endless.

A very sad day when that was tore down :-(

Yeah, The Esplanade was a great place to go ... and now it's a 'family pub' ... *sob* ... Chinnery's doesn't even come close in terms of atmosphere and/or the bands they have there (although I did see Hardcore Superstar there a good few years back on their first UK tour, with a crowd of about 30 people!)

• 2 months later...

Hammerjacks!!!!!!!!!!! This was THE PLACE to be in the 80's and early 90's!! Seen KIX there a zillion times and countless other awesome shows. Man I miss that place. They tore it down and the spot became a parking lot for the Baltimore Ravens. It reopened as a dance club (ack!).

The Rage in Baltimore was also an awesome club!! Saw Lizzy Borden there back in the day!!

The Thunderdome in Baltimore was a more recent club that was around in the early 2000's but they booked plenty of great 80's bands. The owner sold the club and it turned into a Latin dance club. :puke:

It's really depressing not being able to see bands anymore because there really isn't anywhere for them to play!

Amen, sir. Particularly the HAMMERJACK'S comment. If one looks closely at the Iron Maiden cover to "Somewhere In Time", they will see .."Hammerjack's". Dunno if it was meant for the same place, but I like to believe so.

Also miss The Station --in Fern Park, FL (no relation at all to the Rhode Island tragedy) --saw Ugly Kid Joe, Warrant, Arcade, Circus of Power, Great White (few years before the R.I. tragedy) and Foghat there.

• 4 years later...

Also another shout out to The Marquee Club - now criminally a Wetherspoons pub :-(

Best gig I ever saw there was Giant. Absolutely classic gig.

This.

I still lament the closing of that venue.

Tragic.

• My Little Pony

I never really had a place. But I suppose the closest thing would be a club in Vancouver called the Venue, only because most of the bands I see get booked there. But by most it's prolly still less than 50%.

Also have never really had much around me. I used to have a place in Upstate NY called the Water Street Music Hall that would bring in acts...I remember seeing Ratt there, Dirty Looks and a few other bands. I'm not sure if they're even still open and if they are they aren't bringing in anything of interest.

I also had a nice little outside venue that popped up about 1/2 hour from me outside Buffalo, NY a few years ago. They really had a great thing going bringing in many classic acts like Winger, Firehouse, Killer Dwarfs, Slaughter and many others. I even saw Autograph and Station there last summer. However, they ran into many legal problems with people complaining they were violating some noise ordinance or something....That was conveniently passed after the establishment was already up and running. So I think that place is probably about done.

Right now, it's pretty tough finding venues around me that will host "smaller" classic rock bands or newer bands trying to play that music. I'll get big package tours like Def Leppard or whatever. But there is nowhere around me where older bands like Warrant, Trixter, Firehouse or newer bands like Station will even play.

Basically, my only shot to see many of those bands is if I travel to a festival like Melodic Rock Fest in Chicago or something....Or if I want to travel to NYC/NJ area.

Also another shout out to The Marquee Club - now criminally a Wetherspoons pub :-(

Best gig I ever saw there was Giant. Absolutely classic gig.

This.

I still lament the closing of that venue.

Tragic.

Backed 100%. Spent a lot of my teen years/ early 20's in the place seeing some ace gigs. Great memories

Duchess of York. Leeds. So many great shows there. There's even a facebook dedicated to it.

Now a clothes store.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6088831169/

Did you live in the UK then? Just that your location shows as Munich.........

Duchess of York. Leeds. So many great shows there. There's even a facebook dedicated to it.

Now a clothes store.

"Oh oh, I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien, I'm an Englishman in Munich..."

• My Little Pony

Now a clothes store.

I believe in his introduction thread he mentioned he was originally from the UK.

Now a clothes store.

Raised in Batley and was the York Uni Rock Society entertainment secretary when D.O.Y. was at it's peak.