ATLANTIC "Power" (reissue + remaster)

TIM (2)

I'd say most people on these boards would count this as an essential disc. Especially in remastered form. Is an album very similar to FM's "Tough It Out", & the track "Power Over Me" is an AOR classic - pure & simple.

Press Release:-

Escape Music are delighted to announce the reissue of the CD "Power" by Atlantic. First released back in 1994 on the Music For Nations label. British band Atlantic raised many eyebrows with their one-off release which can be ranked alongside bands such as as "Dare" , "FM" , "Heartland" and "Shy" (Tony Mills guests on the album also!). Atlantic band members include Simon Harrison on guitar and keyboards and the great Phil Bates (Trickster) on Lead Vocals, guitars and keyboards. The album had so much potential at the time it is a shame that it has not received the recognition it richly deserves, so here it is in its full glory and a bonus track that was not on the origina plus the album will be re-mastered.

Atlantic is:

Simon Harrison: guitar and keyboards

Phil Bates: Lead Vocals, guitars and keyboards

Paul Hoare: Bass

Andy Duncan: Drums

Chris Taylor: Keyboards

Glenn Williams:Keyboards

Andy Van Evans: Guitars

Phil Ridden: Drums

Backing Vocals: Tony Mills, David Saylor, Pete Green, , Jo Bates, Phil Bates

Track list: It's only love / Power over me / When the war is over / Bad Blood / Can't hold on / hands of Fate / Every beat of my heart / Dangerous Games / Nothing to lose / Hard to believe + bonus "Hearts on Fire".

Release date: 22 August 2008

Backed TIM - Great little disc this one. Took me ages to find the original at a decent price a few years back, and now the re-issue. Sods law :doh:

Hmmm I like FM and Shy but I'm not a big fan of Heartland and Dare...guess I'll have to check out a few samples ....

I'd say if you liked FM's "Tough It Out" then it's a pretty safe bet you'll like this. Despite having about 4 keyboard players listed it's actually a tougher sound than someone like Dare....

Fuck and I just bought this about 6 months ago, and it wasn't cheap. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

If you like FM's first two you'll like this one.

Well I do like FM's first 2 releases as well as the 3rd & 4th releases so this one sounds like a keeper.....I'll definitely be checking it out...

very good release, great aor and to think it was 1994, not a classic, just a very good album!!!

I'd love to see Atlantic get anbother album out seeing that most of the guys are still involved in the muysic biz :beerbang:

Won't ever happen. Only two of them are still in contact....

If anyone picks this up please post with how good the bonus track is?....

I'd love to see Atlantic get anbother album out seeing that most of the guys are still involved in the muysic biz :beerbang:

TIM - The bonus track is ok mate, an uptempo rocker with lots of Bob 'the burglar'Jovi 'Woo Oohs' and stabbing piano. Not the best track on the disc by any means, but not bad as an extra track!!

Was this the original Jap bonus track??

TIM - The bonus track is ok mate, an uptempo rocker with lots of Bob 'the burglar'Jovi 'Woo Oohs' and stabbing piano. Not the best track on the disc by any means, but not bad as an extra track!!

Cheers Jez. I guess Jonny-boy must've listened to the Atlantic track the night before he wrote "Living On A Prayer" then? :whistle:

Jez,

I have the original Jap issue of the CD and 'Hearts On Fire' is indeed the same as the bonus track offered on the Escape reissue.

I've seen some way over the top raving on this album elsewhere just recently, about how this band would've been huge had they released the record in the 80s and not in 1994....

....Well, in reality they would've been no bigger than the likes of FM, Strangeways, Shy and Dare, who all released solid product in that time frame, but were hardly in the same league as Bon Jovi in terms of sales or popularity...and if 'Slippery When Wet' had failed to take off and disappointed sales wise as the previous two releases had, JBJ and co would've been kicked off Mercury and no mistake.

and if 'Slippery When Wet' had failed to take off and disappointed sales wise as the previous two releases had, JBJ and co would've been kicked off Mercury and no mistake.

in which case he may not be making music to this day, & would probably be acting (something he also blows at) or serving fries somewhere instead. And we may not be wasting so many of our threads debating whether the last 5 BJ albums are either: crap/abysmal/a total waste of plastic. If only they'd been kicked off Mercury....

Jez,

I have the original Jap issue of the CD and 'Hearts On Fire' is indeed the same as the bonus track offered on the Escape reissue.

I've seen some way over the top raving on this album elsewhere just recently, about how this band would've been huge had they released the record in the 80s and not in 1994....

....Well, in reality they would've been no bigger than the likes of FM, Strangeways, Shy and Dare, who all released solid product in that time frame, but were hardly in the same league as Bon Jovi in terms of sales or popularity...and if 'Slippery When Wet' had failed to take off and disappointed sales wise as the previous two releases had, JBJ and co would've been kicked off Mercury and no mistake.

Thanx Dave - I thought the bonus track on the re-issue would be the Jap bonus.

Have to agree with you about Atlantic. They did make a excellent disc in 'Power' and I seriously rate it very highly, but I don't see how they had anything better than the other UK bands you mention, so the raving over them maybe somewhat over the top.. I have been spinning 'Power' side by side with some other Brit AOR discs today and put up against say Dare's mighty 'Out Of Silence' , Strangeways awesome 'Native Sons' and 'Walk In The Fire' and FM' 'Indiscreet' and whilst it definitely holds it's own, it certainly isn't as good.

In saying that though, all of these bands piss from a great height over the Bob and the Boys, in my humble opinion, musically and song quality as well, which goes to show that popularity and sales doesn't always mean best, especially in this instance.

Jez,

Have to agree with you about Atlantic. They did make a excellent disc in 'Power' and I seriously rate it very highly, but I don't see how they had anything better than the other UK bands you mention, so the raving over them maybe somewhat over the top.. I have been spinning 'Power' side by side with some other Brit AOR discs today and put up against say Dare's mighty 'Out Of Silence' , Strangeways awesome 'Native Sons' and 'Walk In The Fire' and FM' 'Indiscreet' and whilst it definitely holds it's own, it certainly isn't as good.

Whereas it definitely falls down against the first DARE and the first two F.M, it largely trails the others due to the Production quality IMO. It's just nowhere near as crisp sounding as any of the albums mentioned, & I'm sure that - good though the remastered version might be - the problems go a bit deeper than the mastering....

Jez,

I have been spinning 'Power' side by side with some other Brit AOR discs today and put up against say Dare's mighty 'Out Of Silence' , Strangeways awesome 'Native Sons' and 'Walk In The Fire' and FM' 'Indiscreet' and whilst it definitely holds it's own, it certainly isn't as good.

Hmmm, whilst being a good album - I'd say its nowhere near the releases you mention.

& as for 'Bob & the boys' - i'd say s/t and New Jersey are both far superior as well.

Just IMO

Jez,

I have been spinning 'Power' side by side with some other Brit AOR discs today and put up against say Dare's mighty 'Out Of Silence' , Strangeways awesome 'Native Sons' and 'Walk In The Fire' and FM' 'Indiscreet' and whilst it definitely holds it's own, it certainly isn't as good.

& as for 'Bob & the boys' - i'd say s/t and New Jersey are both far superior as well.

Just IMO

The Bon Jovi debut most definitely is better, but 'New Jersey' was well patchy in places. But let's please not get into another fucking Bon Jovi discussion, instead keep with the thread on Atlantic and the mighty Brit AOR bands with which it stands with. :lol:

Jez,

Whereas it definitely falls down against the first DARE and the first two F.M, it largely trails the others due to the Production quality IMO. It's just nowhere near as crisp sounding as any of the albums mentioned, & I'm sure that - good though the remastered version might be - the problems go a bit deeper than the mastering....

Most definitely TIM!!. The production, whilst good, is nowhere near these discs, drums department especially. The remastering is good though and gives it a lift, but I think musically, Atlantic weren't quite on the same level musically as some others mentioned, although they were no slouches either, particularly the excellent vocalist.

Jez,

In saying that though, all of these bands piss from a great height over the Bob and the Boys, in my humble opinion, musically and song quality as well, which goes to show that popularity and sales doesn't always mean best, especially in this instance.

You know this disc is good when it's compared to Strangeways and FM's first two disc's they are in a class all by themselves, so everyone do yourselves a favor and pick this one up if you like AOR.

I personally prefer this one to FM's debut and any Strangeways disc. I like FM's debut and Strangeways had some great tracks, but a lot more fillers than gems. The Atlantic disc is solid as f*ck from start to finish with a few stand-alone gems. Great disc.

I also have a massive well documented love for Blue Blud's 'The Big Noise' when speaking of British acts that were actually okay. Dare's first two albums were excellent too.

I personally prefer this one to FM's debut and any Strangeways disc. I like FM's debut and Strangeways had some great tracks, but a lot more fillers than gems. The Atlantic disc is solid as f*ck from start to finish with a few stand-alone gems. Great disc.

I also have a massive well documented love for Blue Blud's 'The Big Noise' when speaking of British acts that were actually okay. Dare's first two albums were excellent too.

Hey Geoff to each his own but Atlantic over Strangeways :screwy::D there isn't a filler on Native Sons and Walk In The Fire IMO.

As for Blue Blud they are in a different catagory, they are much heavier there isn't a filler on "The Big Noise" either.

Hey Geoff to each his own but Atlantic over Strangeways :screwy::D there isn't a filler on Native Sons and Walk In The Fire IMO.

Backed - Not one track anywhere near 'Filler' on those two brilliant albums.