ATLANTIC "Power" (reissue + remaster)

TIM (2)

Just been listening to this for the first time, liking it very much. The last track (the bonus) is a bit weak, but other than that, very good album. It's nice to agree with the majority for a change!

:tumbsup:

I personally prefer this one to FM's debut and any Strangeways disc. I like FM's debut and Strangeways had some great tracks, but a lot more fillers than gems. The Atlantic disc is solid as f*ck from start to finish with a few stand-alone gems. Great disc.

I also have a massive well documented love for Blue Blud's 'The Big Noise' when speaking of British acts that were actually okay. Dare's first two albums were excellent too.

Hey Geoff to each his own but Atlantic over Strangeways :screwy::D there isn't a filler on Native Sons and Walk In The Fire IMO.

Backed - Not one track anywhere near 'Filler' on those two brilliant albums.

I know these comments were from some time ago, but hopefully Geoff's had some time to reflect on his comments (or had his ears syringed). ATLANTIC is not better than STRANGEWAYS "Walk In the Fire". No chance. Nor is BLUE BLUD's debut.

I personally prefer this one to FM's debut and any Strangeways disc. I like FM's debut and Strangeways had some great tracks, but a lot more fillers than gems. The Atlantic disc is solid as f*ck from start to finish with a few stand-alone gems. Great disc.

I also have a massive well documented love for Blue Blud's 'The Big Noise' when speaking of British acts that were actually okay. Dare's first two albums were excellent too.

Hey Geoff to each his own but Atlantic over Strangeways :screwy::D there isn't a filler on Native Sons and Walk In The Fire IMO.

Backed - Not one track anywhere near 'Filler' on those two brilliant albums.

I know these comments were from some time ago, but hopefully Geoff's had some time to reflect on his comments (or had his ears syringed). ATLANTIC is not better than STRANGEWAYS "Walk In the Fire". No chance. Nor is BLUE BLUD's debut.

I actually find the Atlantic disc fairly standard fair. Good album no doubt but no world beater.

Not even in the same league as Strangeways, Dare (1st 2) and FM (1st 2) IMO.

I actually find the Atlantic disc fairly standard fair. Good album no doubt but no world beater.

I'm the only person on here who doesn't rate the first 2 FM albums, aren't I?

Just what are the good songs on those albums?

To be honest 'Tough It Out' is by far the better album IMO.....I like pretty much every tune off that album. Fav tracks are 'Tough It Out', 'Bad Luck' :bowdown: and 'The Dream That Died'

Indescreet is a more patchy affair, but ' That Girl' and 'Frozen Heart' and 'I Belong To The Night' are all great tracks.

Also, I love 'Dangerous' which I think was a b-side??

Cheers

Well it's surprising that a fan of bands like Dare/Strangeways would not like the first two FM albums. They are pretty lite, but have some top class songs to these ears. "American Girls", "Other Side of Midnight", "Someday", "The Dream That Died", "Can You Hear Me Calling" are all absolutely KILLER songs IMHO. I can't say the first two tunes on "Tough It Out" blow me away, but afterwards it's one awesome song after another....

Well it's surprising that a fan of bands like Dare/Strangeways would not like the first two FM albums. They are pretty lite, but have some top class songs to these ears. "American Girls", "Other Side of Midnight", "Someday", "The Dream That Died", "Can You Hear Me Calling" are all absolutely KILLER songs IMHO. I can't say the first two tunes on "Tough It Out" blow me away, but afterwards it's one awesome song after another....

The title track is awesome you mad man...........classic FM (not the radio station)

To be honest 'Tough It Out' is by far the better album IMO.....I like pretty much every tune off that album. Fav tracks are 'Tough It Out', 'Bad Luck' :bowdown: and 'The Dream That Died'

Indescreet is a more patchy affair, but ' That Girl' and 'Frozen Heart' and 'I Belong To The Night' are all great tracks.

Also, I love 'Dangerous' which I think was a b-side??

Cheers

Pretty much agree 100% with that. As noted, pretty much any song off 'Tough it out' is great but my faves are 'Tough it Out', 'Bad Luck', 'Someday', 'The Dream that Died', 'Can You Hear me Calling?' and 'Does it Feel Like Love'. Brilliant stuff.

As for Strangeways, the story is the same for both 'Native Sons' and 'Walk on fire'. Each time the first half of the album is spectacular and the second half is littered with forgettable tracks. Pick pretty much any of the last 5 tracks on either disc for fillers galore. ;)

As for Strangeways, the story is the same for both 'Native Sons' and 'Walk on fire'. Each time the first half of the album is spectacular and the second half is littered with forgettable tracks. Pick pretty much any of the last 5 tracks on either disc for fillers galore. ;)

What a load of nonsense. Are you suggesting that "After the Hurt Is Gone" or "Walk In the Fire" are fillers? Seriously? You really need to listen to them again - they are outright KILLER tracks. Neither FM nor mediocre bands like BLUE BLUD ever wrote a ballad as good as "After the Hurt...".

What a load of nonsense. Are you suggesting that "After the Hurt Is Gone" or "Walk In the Fire" are fillers? Seriously? You really need to listen to them again - they are outright KILLER tracks. Neither FM nor mediocre bands like BLUE BLUD ever wrote a ballad as good as "After the Hurt...".

Filler - what filler?

Have to agree with Tim on this. Strangeways released 2 nearly perfect examples of AOR/MR with nowhere near a filler in sight as far as I can hear, so the 'Last 5 tracks' comment' is way off the mark. 'Empty Streets' 'Stand Up And Shout', 'After The Hurt' 'Danger Zone' 'Modern World' 'Shake The Seven', 'Walk In The Fire' - fantastic songs one and all.

Check out the debut album with Tony Liddle aswell, as that is pretty damned great with some killer tunes. Definitely a band with some of The most consistent material over 3 albums no question and one of the best band the Brits have produced in this genre by far. :tumbsup:

Filler - what filler?

Have to agree with Tim on this. Strangeways released 2 nearly perfect examples of AOR/MR with nowhere near a filler in sight as far as I can hear, so the 'Last 5 tracks' comment' is way off the mark. 'Empty Streets' 'Stand Up And Shout', 'After The Hurt' 'Danger Zone' 'Modern World' 'Shake The Seven', 'Walk In The Fire' - fantastic songs one and all.

Check out the debut album with Tony Liddle aswell, as that is pretty damned great with some killer tunes. Definitely a band with some of The most consistent material over 3 albums no question and one of the best band the Brits have produced in this genre by far. :tumbsup:

Yeah, we defintely agree on the debut. Overall, I think it's their most consistent CD. After Soundwave (I have a big playlist to get through before then) I'll listen to the 3 Strangeways CDs again and express my thoughts on which songs I thought were fillers.

I was spinning 'Native Sons' on my trip up North at the start of this year, though, and I remember I had my brother in the car as it spun on repeat a few times as we drove to and from the beaches and I lowered the volume for some of the last few tracks as I was embarrassed to be playing them. :lol: So I imagine there must have been some reason for that. :)

• 7 years later...