new SIMPLE PLAN cd

hardrockhaven

I didn't see any other thread about Simple Plan's new cd. So, I have to give kudos where they are due. This album is HUGE! I don't own any other Simple Plan cds, but this one is definitely a keeper and one of the best releases of the year so far! Nary a bad song on this release. It's a bit more mature than their previous teen-angst style, and the production is massive. And the backing vocals, enormous! I haven't heard this kind of vocal harmony in years. One listen to the rockers "When I'm Gone" and "Take My Hand" and you should be hooked. You'll be belting out these infectious choruses for months to come. Bottom line, melodic listeners who have never cared for this band need to give these guys one more shot. They finally nailed it out of the park. Fans of Faber Drive will eat this up.

Chris

Hey Chris, Tim and I were being schoolgirls about this album in another thread and I fully agree. I'm so surprised that none of you guys at seem to have picked up their last album, 'Still not getting any'. If you love this album, I PROMISE you will adore 'Still not getting any'; their 2nd CD. The vocals and lyrics are a little poorer on that album, but songs like 'Crazy', 'Perfect world', 'Get up', 'Promise', 'Me against the world' and the immaculate 'Everytime' will blow your mind. The harmonies and backing vocals are just as good on that one as this one. I called 'Still not getting any' the biggest surprise in my collection so I admit I wasn't so stunned with the s/t as everyone else who never heard that album is... because these guys have somehow created themselves as a melodic force to be reckoned with and I expected a lot of this new album... and they delivered.

Hey Chris, Tim and I were being schoolgirls about this album in another thread and I fully agree. I'm so surprised that none of you guys at seem to have picked up their last album, 'Still not getting any'. If you love this album, I PROMISE you will adore 'Still not getting any'; their 2nd CD. The vocals and lyrics are a little poorer on that album, but songs like 'Crazy', 'Perfect world', 'Get up', 'Promise', 'Me against the world' and the immaculate 'Everytime' will blow your mind. The harmonies and backing vocals are just as good on that one as this one. I called 'Still not getting any' the biggest surprise in my collection so I admit I wasn't so stunned with the s/t as everyone else who never heard that album is... because these guys have somehow created themselves as a melodic force to be reckoned with and I expected a lot of this new album... and they delivered.

Hey Geoff, I do agree that "Still not getting any" has some very good songs on it. I actually burned several tunes from it before getting rid of the album. I just think that from start to finish this newest release is the best stuff they've ever done. Good lyrics and a catchiness factor of ten with those killer choruses. Just push play and enjoy. Sorry I missed the other thread, but I'm glad to hear you guys were already onto this gem.

Chris

No worries about the other thread it was just a random discussion - not a full thread dedicated to the band as this is. I'm just glad someone else created it instead of me. :) It instantly means people might actually look at it now. :lol:

I agree, the lyrics are more mature and as I was saying to Tim in the other thread, my favourite aspect of the album is the guy is finally trying to get rid of that pop-punk sound his voice always had.

I didn't see any other thread about Simple Plan's new cd. So, I have to give kudos where they are due. This album is HUGE! I don't own any other Simple Plan cds, but this one is definitely a keeper and one of the best releases of the year so far! Nary a bad song on this release. It's a bit more mature than their previous teen-angst style, and the production is massive. And the backing vocals, enormous! I haven't heard this kind of vocal harmony in years. One listen to the rockers "When I'm Gone" and "Take My Hand" and you should be hooked. You'll be belting out these infectious choruses for months to come. Bottom line, melodic listeners who have never cared for this band need to give these guys one more shot. They finally nailed it out of the park. Fans of Faber Drive will eat this up.

Chris

I couldn't have said it better myself! I love the production of this thing too, & tracks "Holding On" and "No Love" are probably my two fave of 2008 so far...

After reading Tim and Geoff's discussion regarding Simple Plan, I too picked it up....and it is EXCELLENT! So yeah, there are some here that love it!! LOL

I've heard a couple of catchy pop sings by these guys, but I think they trail far behind Sum 41 in the rock department. Of course now Sum 41's gone back to being soft too. Oh well.

I'm sure Simple Plan trail behind plenty of bands in the rock department. Let's face it, no one's saying Simple Plan are the new Skid Row. What they do do is write some insanely catchy and commercial rock songs with hooks, melodies and harmonies that many current bands could only dream of. Let alone Sum 41. I know they're a completely different style, but imo Simple Plan has it over them a thousand times over in song writing skill.

• 3 weeks later...

This just keeps getting better with every spin, which is amazing considering how good it already was. How to pick a favourite song from 'Take My Hand', 'Save You', 'Time To Say Goodbye', 'I Can Wait Forever', 'Holding On', 'No Love' and 'What If'???

They're all so f*cking amazing!!!

Just bought this CD today but haven't had the time to listen to it yet. I have a couple of CDs by these guys and they're pretty good. I've got a feeling the new release is gonna blow the previously ones right out of the water. :)

• 3 years later...

So what do we think of the new one, 'Get your heart on!'

Track list:

1. "You Suck at Love" 3:11

2. "Can't Keep My Hands Off You" (feat. Rivers Cuomo) 3:21

3. "Jet Lag" (feat. Natasha Bedingfield) 3:24

4. "Astronaut" 3:41

5. "Loser of the Year" 3:26

6. "Anywhere Else But Here" 3:44

7. "Freaking Me Out" (feat. Alex Gaskarth of All Time Low) 3:07

8. "Summer Paradise" (feat. K'naan) 3:56

9. "Gone Too Soon" 3:16

10. "Last One Standing" 3:27

11. "This Song Saved My Life"

In a few words, I do dig it. Only a couple of stinkers ('Can't keep my hands off you' and 'Summer paradise') but it's mostly quite good. My one fear is that they're maybe getting a little too wrapped up in the pop scene. Not so much in terms of musical bollocks, as they still sound as good as the last disc musically. But just the abundance of featured artists, and some of the lyrics are just really irritating pop references about how good it is to hang out with Lil' Wayne, or something about wearing a 6 month old item of clothing being so out there and unacceptable. In that regard it did irritate me... oh and the Usher backing vocals on 'Anywhere else but here'... they were annoying too.

Now, with the negatives out the way, it's a pretty fine disc otherwise. 'You suck at love' and the closing trio of 'Gone too soon,' album highlight 'Last one standing' and 'This song saved my life' are all excellent songs, and I have to say it... I am a sucker for that single, 'Jet Lag' too.

The rest, it is a little patchy. I mentioned the two fillers and 'Anywhere but here' isn't for me either. Just sounds too much like Usher with those backing vocals. 'Freaking me out' is good, but I don't like the lyrics and 'Atronaut' and 'Loser of the year' are both comfortably good... a bit safe, but solid songs.

Overall, I do like the CD but I thought it might be a clean winner in the modern rock stakes this year. I don't think it will be. We'll see how I go, but I see the things that annoy me about this CD getting more annoying, which could be the issue for me. :) Some great songs, though.

Have only spun it once but it seems a bit of a step-back from the last album. That one was more grown-up with less of the pop/punk stuff (which is pretty much dead these days), but they seem to have reverted back to it - like ALL TIME LOW have done too. It's still worth picking-up for the good tunes but it's got too many outside influences. Am not surprised to see them revert back as I don't think the last album did that well, but is a shame...

I read the title of this thread and thought, wow, somehow Simple Plan have managed to top their excellent last release..............but sadly no, its a bump of the thread about their last release lol!

From the couple of samples ive heard this sounds awful....real boy band type stuff....correct me if im wrong :-(

Haha, definitely not boy band stuff, Glen. Not at all. It's a Simple Plan album for the most part, minus a few outside inclusions which really suck, but Tim is right - it's definitely not as good as the last CD. And to be honest, probably not as good as 'Still not getting any' either.

Listen to 'You suck at love,' 'Jet lag,' 'Gone Too Soon', 'Last One Standing' and 'This Song Saved My Life.' That's a bunch of 5 solid tracks there.

Haha, definitely not boy band stuff, Glen. Not at all. It's a Simple Plan album for the most part, minus a few outside inclusions which really suck, but Tim is right - it's definitely not as good as the last CD. And to be honest, probably not as good as 'Still not getting any' either.

Listen to 'You suck at love,' 'Jet lag,' 'Gone Too Soon', 'Last One Standing' and 'This Song Saved My Life.' That's a bunch of 5 solid tracks there.

Completely agree with your song choices, and actually this sounded better after a couple of extra spins last night. "This Song Saved My Life" might actually be the best thing they've ever done, and "Jet Lag" is awesome too. This is as much boyband material as most of the other lighter modern rock stuff that get's talked about on these pages, it's just that Simple Plan do this stuff better than most others IMO. The vocals are better, they have less of a punk-influence and therefore have more mid-tempo melodic songs. Plus their ballads are always great. A step-down from the last album, but that says more about how great that last album was, but this is still excellent IMO.

Completely agree with your song choices, and actually this sounded better after a couple of extra spins last night. "This Song Saved My Life" might actually be the best thing they've ever done, and "Jet Lag" is awesome too. This is as much boyband material as most of the other lighter modern rock stuff that get's talked about on these pages, it's just that Simple Plan do this stuff better than most others IMO. The vocals are better, they have less of a punk-influence and therefore have more mid-tempo melodic songs. Plus their ballads are always great. A step-down from the last album, but that says more about how great that last album was, but this is still excellent IMO.

Yeah, to their credit I keep spinning this one, and I am absolutely loving those five songs.

'Freaking me out,' Astronaut' and 'Loser of the year' really aren't bad at all either. In fact, the only complete disaster, must-skip piece of shit is 'Summer Paradise.'

Yeah, to their credit I keep spinning this one, and I am absolutely loving those five songs.

'Freaking me out,' Astronaut' and 'Loser of the year' really aren't bad at all either. In fact, the only complete disaster, must-skip piece of shit is 'Summer Paradise.'

Yeah "Summer Paradise" is horseshit. "Astronaut" is a good tune, and the other two are just standard/immature pop/punk songs like SUM41 or someone would do. More than enough great modern rock tunes on here to make it worthwhile though.

Yeah "Summer Paradise" is horseshit. "Astronaut" is a good tune, and the other two are just standard/immature pop/punk songs like SUM41 or someone would do. More than enough great modern rock tunes on here to make it worthwhile though.

OK I'll see if its on Spotify yet...........

• 2 years later...

Player hate all you wish, but all my all fellow 13 years olds, are y'all bopping to the new EP from Simple Plan? Leave it to the reliable naughty boys in SP to release a stellar EP right in the last moments of 2013. Great 7 tracker that I was not expecting:

gallery_7_2_5368.jpg

Tracklist:
1. Ordinary Life
2. The Rest of Us
3. Outta My System
4. Fire In My Heart
5. In
6. Lucky One
7. Try
A couple of my faves:
On a side note saw these guys live at the Vans Warped tour in November here in Australia, and mock them all you wish, they actually put on a good, tight show. I did enjoy it a lot. Plus I had a great view, as a few thousand 13 year old girls aren't necessarily too tall to look over. ;)

• 2 years later...

Just want to make a quick post on the new album, 'Taking one for the team.' I think somewhere on the forum the shit tracks from this album have been documented, but unfairly, a good handful of nice tunes haven't yet been offered. And truth is, there are far more good songs than bad ones. All offering poor/simple "traditional" Simple Plan lyrics, but nice if you've been a fan in the past.

So yeah, just for the record... in case you wondered, there is some cool stuff on here for "older" Simple Plan fans:

• 4 years later...

I doubt there's anyone left who cares about these guys, but I noticed they just dropped a new song-

After I saw this I was all like, where the balls have they been? Last album was released in 2016. So I had a quick little look on wikipedia and read there'd been some issues with their bassist and I was all like, what's the deal? Why not get a new dude and go on? Read a bit deeper and noticed the guys in the band are all the original members. The bass player joined the other four guys in 2000 after the lead singer played bass from their formation in 1999, but essentially, the same five guys have been together for 21 years. Blew my mind a bit and I understood the story a bit more. Anyway, turns out that after struggling with some mental health issues over the past few years, their bassist has now left the band due to "sexual allegations" levelled at him. Sounds like the guy who's been filling in for him over the last few years has had a few issues too. 

Anyway, I just found it a bit interesting for those who may also. For what it's worth, new song seems to show they've not skipped a beat, so hoping they release a new album sometime soon. Apparently they were meant to be recording it in 2018 but obviously that's been heavily delayed so guess we'll see what happens. 

They recorded this one in 2018 for a soundtrack too-

• Like 1

4 hours ago, auslander said:

Did anyone ever care about Simple Plan?

Not me. And I believe it belongs in a different forum, "other Music" maybe.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, auslander said:

Did anyone ever care about Simple Plan?

Only people that like good catchy music, cob. Lyrical professors, they are anything but. But for anyone who looked past the teeny bopper image, they actually have some killer cuts in their discography. 

• 9 months later...

Anyone check out their album released earlier this year?

Simple Plan     -    Harder Than It Looks

1    .    Wake Me Up (When This Nightmare’s Over)
2    .    Ruin My Life (feat. Deryck Whibley)
3    .    The Antidote
4    .    Million Pictures of You
5    .    Anxiety
6    .    Congratulations
7    .    Iconic
8    .    Best Day of My Life
9    .    Slow Motion
10    .    Two

If you liked them before you'll undoubtedly like this one as it's very much Simple Plan. I enjoy. 

The clear stand-out for me is this teen anthem that 13 year old Georgia would crank in (one of) her bedroom(s) with tears in her eyes, but it also hits a spot on the other side of the equation. Pretty silly when it's such a teeny written anthem, but not every song that hits a spot needs to be orchestrated by Picasso, I guess. ;) lol.