Jericho Lives!

whiplash1972

CBS reverses decision to ax 'Jericho'

capt.6c224461ad58417fa2a0dc5015d1b6bd.tv_cbs_jericho_ny128.jpg

LOS ANGELES - "Jericho" fans who slammed CBS with protests over the drama's cancellation have won the battle: It will return next season, the network said Wednesday.

It was an unusual display of viewer might since networks usually put ratings ahead of even the most passionate, well-organized fan base. But CBS said the show deserved another chance, while cautioning that it must prove it has wider appeal.

"Wow! Over the past few weeks you have put forth an impressive and probably unprecedented display of passion in support of a prime time television series," CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler said in a letter to "Jericho" boosters.

The letter was released to The Associated Press.

"You got our attention; your emails and collective voice have been heard," Tassler wrote, and seven episodes have been ordered for midseason 2007-08. "In success, there is the potential for more. But, for there to be more `Jericho,' we will need more viewers."

Fans must do their part to rally interest while the network does its job, she said.

CBS is planning a campaign to reintroduce "Jericho," including rerunning the show on CBS this summer, streaming episodes and clips online and releasing the first season on DVD on Sept. 25. The show's return date and scheduling has yet to be determined.

CBS had to complete deals with cast members, including star

Skeet Ulrich, before announcing its decision.

Networks rarely reverse a show's axing but CBS has proven its flexibility at least once before. In 1983, after "Cagney & Lacey" was canceled and the network was bombarded with protests, the police drama was brought back in 1984 — and ran successfully to 1988.

Since "Jericho" was canceled last month the network has been deluged with calls, messages and shipments of nuts signifying viewer displeasure.

"We are tired of the networks (not just CBS) tossing aside quality programming," was the message carried by jericholives.com, one of several web sites protesting the cancellation. "Enough! We're going to fight for this one."

Clarke Ingram, a "Jericho" fan from Pittsburgh, Pa., and a spokesman for jericholives, said Tuesday that the drama about a Kansas town isolated by a nuclear terrorist attack deserved renewal for its daring premise, writing and acting.

"People would paint this as teenagers in tinfoil hats" rallying behind the show, said Ingram, 50, an operations manager for two radio stations. "That's not what this is. These are educated professionals."

Several factors worked in the show's favor: It appealed to the young adult viewers sought by advertisers and was one of CBS' most popular shows streamed online, indicating an audience beyond that measured by traditional ratings.

CBS also likely took into consideration the dent a long hiatus put in the show's viewership, the same scheduling misstep that hurt ABC's "Lost" and NBC's "Heroes."

Last fall, "Jericho" was averaging 10.5 million viewers; when it returned in the spring, it drew about 8.1 million, about a 23 percent decline from the first half of the season.

The display of fan enthusiasm included the delivery of 50,000 pounds of peanuts to its New York offices. In the season finale, a character replies "Nuts!" to a demand that the beleaguered town of Jericho surrender.

That's the same response that a U.S. general in World War II made to a German demand for surrender at the Battle of the Bulge.

Another positive outcome of the fan campaign: CBS is donating the protest peanuts to charities, including one that sends care packages to troops overseas.

---------------------------------------------------------

http://www.jericholives.com

ban-jl.gif

One of my top 2-3 favorite shows, and it's fought it's way back from cancellation (yep, I emailed CBS with my immense displeasure). VERY cool to see a network actually listening to its viewers for a change...

:banger:

Yeppers! Wednesday night was the only real "Must See TV" from this last season for me: Jericho, Criminal Minds, and CSI:New York.

The only episodes of Jericho I missed, I had DVR'ed to watch the next day.

Between the CSI franchise, Jericho, and NUMB3RS, CBS pretty much has the lock on my viewing... the only exception being Law & Order: Criminal Intent on NBC.

What sucks is that now L&O:CI and CSI: Miami are now running against one another. :(

-Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Jericho begins re-airing tonight at 9 pm on CBS, beginning with the "Pilot"...

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/jericho/

whatsnew.jpg

I signed one of the petitions that was going around. I'm so glad that CBS reversed it's decision. There is already a severe lack of quality programming on as it is. It's a good show, but I really hope that they don't take it too far. I'm hoping that they can keep the story consistent to make about 3 great seasons. Any more and it might get too far fetched. It's a shame what happened to Prison Break. They kept trying to add more crap into it until the show was just stupid.

I've never seen this show but it is one I really wished I had watched. :( It looks good.

• 5 months later...

Yep, all seven episodes ordered by CBS were filmed and in the can prior to the writers strike. CBS is actually kicking themselves now for not ordering a few more episodes...

At least now, with it being one of the only shows providing viewers with "fresh", non repeat, entertainment, I think it has a really good chance at becoming a bonafide hit. :beerbang:

Yep, all seven episodes ordered by CBS were filmed and in the can prior to the writers strike. CBS is actually kicking themselves now for not ordering a few more episodes...

At least now, with it being one of the only shows providing viewers with "fresh", non repeat, entertainment, I think it has a really good chance at becoming a bonafide hit. :beerbang:

I hope your right about it having a chance at being a hit as I'd love to see this show go a few more seasons.

I hope your right about it having a chance at being a hit as I'd love to see this show go a few more seasons.

:agree:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since 90% of the stuff on tv right now is crap or reruns I didn't even bother with checking. I watched 3 episodes of Kojak tonight. After the last one ended I flipped the channel to CBS to find Jericho about to go off. It's hard to believe I missed it. I guess I'll remember next week.

Enjoyed the episode from last night... it made alot of sense the way they moved the storyline forward, especially considering they only had 7 episodes to do their second season. I just wish more people were tuning in: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/02/13/niels...il-jericho/2658

Still, anyone who missed the episode can watch it here:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/jericho/video...y=true&cc=3

Enjoyed the episode from last night... it made alot of sense the way they moved the storyline forward, especially considering they only had 7 episodes to do their second season. I just wish more people were tuning in: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/02/13/niels...il-jericho/2658

Still, anyone who missed the episode can watch it here:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/jericho/video...y=true&cc=3

Those numbers are not a good sign.

I hope the numbers get better but I don't know if they will.

It seems like people don't have nothing new to watch but don't wanna get started on a show that they already missed a season of. The same thing seems to be going on with Lost, while ratings are good I expected them to be better and I think it has something to do with people feeling like they're already behind and can't get caught up with what's going on.

I was sure Jericho would pull in a least 14 or 15 million viewers with nothing else new to watch.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some info courtesy of SciFi channel news....

Jericho's Time Is Near

Carol Barbee, executive producer of CBS' post-apocalyptic drama Jericho, told SCI FI Wire that this week is make-or-break time for the resurrected show--though she will try to find a new home for it if CBS goes ahead and cancels it after its current seven-episode second season runs its course.

"I think this next airing will probably tell the tale," Barbee said in an interview at WonderCon in San Francisco on Feb. 24, referring to the upcoming Feb. 26 episode, "Jennings & Rall." "Our numbers have been OK, [but] not great. Our [demographic] has been very good; they've been very happy with that. But we'll see. ... If we trend up this week, I think we'll look pretty good. If we don't trend up, or if we stay the same, I think we'll have to wait and see what they want to do with us. I mean, they're going to air all seven; it's just a matter of how they feel about producing more."

Barbee denied that CBS has told her the show is ending, notwithstanding speculation that the network has already designated the seventh episode the "series finale." (Just to be sure, of course, Barbee said producers have prepared two endings: one to wrap the series up and one with a bit of a cliffhanger that would propel the narrative into a third season.)

Just in case CBS does pull the trigger on Jericho, Barbee said she's already begun looking for a new home on cable television. "There were other people who were interested in us to begin with, and now, I think, with the whole nuts [fan] campaign, and also with the amazing reviews that we've gotten for these seven episodes, I feel like we have made this franchise more valuable to a cable network who would want to take us on as a niche market," Barbee said. (The "nuts campaign" was a successful lobbying effort by Jericho fans, who mailed tons of peanuts to persuade CBS to bring the show back after the network canceled it after the first season.)

"So I think it's very possible," Barbee added. "We obviously have a relationship now with SCI FI Channel, because they're running our previous episodes. So I think that's a natural place to start looking. But I think that ... there are other people who would be interested in the show if it doesn't continue on CBS." (SCI FI Channel hasn't said whether it would consider picking up Jericho or not at this point.)

New episodes of Jericho air on CBS Tuesdays at 10 p.m. ET/PT. Reruns of the first season air on SCI FI Mondays at 10 p.m. --Patrick Lee, News Editor

Another great episode last night but it looks like Jake is gonna be a little trouble next week.

I'm still blown away at Bonnie's death last week. This show has been great this season, I really hope they bring it back for another season. I did notice that they said 2 episodes left in the "season" and they didn't mention the word "series", at least not yet.

Another great episode last night but it looks like Jake is gonna be a little trouble next week.

I'm still blown away at Bonnie's death last week. This show has been great this season, I really hope they bring it back for another season. I did notice that they said 2 episodes left in the "season" and they didn't mention the word "series", at least not yet.

Hopefully one of the cable channels will pick it up as I don't expect CBS to renew...like maybe the SciFi channel..........

Was it just me, or was the moment Stanley pulled the trigger last night one of the most satisfying TV moments in a long time? :yikes:

Was it just me, or was the moment Stanley pulled the trigger last night one of the most satisfying TV moments in a long time? :yikes:

Yes it was awesome and a long time coming, but it looks like Jake is gonna pay the price next week.

PLEASE CBS DON'T CANCEL THIS SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!