A Change of Pace

Geoff

I was just listening the all the albums from these guys last week and upon hearing their latest album, 2006's 'Prepare the masses', I just had to drop their name here. I hate putting bands like this in "other styles" because this album is so f*cking hard rock it's almost as metal as me.

These guys rip out choruses with hooks bigger than most new releases can afford these days, there are some awesome riffs... a killer solo or two... but most importantly, just really cool songs. If you like big hooks and choruses, check these guys out. Here's their myspace page with samples from their latest album, which is, IMO, their best... though the previous ones are also extremely consistent and worth a go. These guys really go for it come chorus time. :)

They remind me sort of as a mix between Die Trying and maybe Cauterize?

http://www.myspace.com/achangeofpace

Check out songs from all albums here:

http://www.last.fm/music/A+Change+of+Pace/Prepare+The+Masses

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump... purely because I honestly believe this is a band that people here would enjoy if they heard 'Prepare the masses'.

Geoff, what did you think of that band I sent to you Romeos Dead? did you even listen to them? and what do you think of American Heartbreak?

Hey mate, yeah... I did listen to them. I thought they were okay, but to be honest there weren't really many killer tracks that really stood out. Good, consistent punk-ish tunes, but I really need a few gems to slap my balls with.

As for American Heartbreak, I actually really enjoyed their last CD. What was it called? Good disc, a welcome surprise, to be honest.

• 1 month later...

Tim, Mark, Jim... anyone... did anyone ever check this 'Prepare the masses' album out? I listened to it again the other night and jeez I back this album so much. Excellent modern rock with GIGANTIC choruses I just know you modern lovers will love.

I just went and checked out the samples on Amazon.com and...eh, they're OK. They've got that nu-breed sound that's growing very old to my ears, though admittedly A Change of Pace has a little harder rock edge than many bands in the nu-breed genre. A year ago I probably would have gobbled this up like Geoff slurping on a naked nork, but my tastes have shifted away from this breezy (though catchy) power-pop-rock stuff toward more aggressive music. For what it is, it's pretty good stuff; it's just not what I'm listening to these days.

Tim, Mark, Jim... anyone... did anyone ever check this 'Prepare the masses' album out? I listened to it again the other night and jeez I back this album so much. Excellent modern rock with GIGANTIC choruses I just know you modern lovers will love.

I've not had chance to listen to this yet, but will check it out one evening this week. I can't play soundbytes at work, apparently some of my work colleagues aren't really big fans of Death/Thrash/Metal. Each to their own I guess.

Again not really my cup of tea. Never got into that neo-punk movement which these songs have alot of.

Again not really my cup of tea. Never got into that neo-punk movement which these songs have alot of.

Neo-punk? I've not heard that term before, mate. What does it mean? Where'd it come from?

Neo-punk? I've not heard that term before, mate. What does it mean? Where'd it come from?

It means the new style of punk. I don't think nu-breed cuts it here. Just like the new versions of prog are neo-progressive. This is neo-punk.

It means the new style of punk. I don't think nu-breed cuts it here. Just like the new versions of prog are neo-progressive. This is neo-punk.

Yeah, I haven't heard the term before... I'd prefer to consider this current hard rock. I can see what the punk influences get thrown into this, but in recorded output those riffs and choruses are much more "hard rock" than punk to me. Not a fan of that term at all. :)

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm back again. Everytime I hear this album ('Prepare the masses') I wonder why everyone in the word of hard rock does not adore this album. It is just so f*cking good!!!

I have a few film clips this time, but sorry if they're not proper because I don't have sound at work and there look to be a million f*ck-ups for Change of Pace videos:

'Take care' (one of the best sonsg on the album):

'Weekend Warriors':

'Loose lips sink ships'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWWg_n70dqY

... F*ck, I give up. I don't think any of those videos are legit. :(

Yeah I like the sound of this. Is pretty similar to Yellowcard/Paramore (luckily I didnt find the Cauterize comparison too accurate :lol: I loved "Take Care" & "Weekend Warriors" especially. I will scour eBay for a copy... Good shout. Is this one as good as Yellowcard mate?

Not my cup of tea either........ sorry :unsure:

Yeah I like the sound of this. Is pretty similar to Yellowcard/Paramore (luckily I didnt find the Cauterize comparison too accurate :lol: I loved "Take Care" & "Weekend Warriors" especially. I will scour eBay for a copy... Good shout. Is this one as good as Yellowcard mate?

It's not as good as Yellowcard, but I would call it close. Production and the overall musical offering is better, imo, but the songs on the Yellowcard album are a bit better. These guys have such a great, full "hard rock sound". 'Take care' is killer... I think you'd like this album a lot if you like Yellowcard, and yeah, good call on Paramore too. I'd call 'Prepare the masses' not quite as good as Yellowcard's newie, but better than both of Paramore's (great) albums.

And yeah, the Cauterize comparison is a bit off, I admit... but not Die Trying. These guys are slightly similar to Die Trying, another great band (thanks Jim).

Totally enjoyin' the songs on their Myspace page.......just need to look and see where I can pick this one up. Was it released in the States??

Totally enjoyin' the songs on their Myspace page.......just need to look and see where I can pick this one up. Was it released in the States??

Hey Jim, yeah 99% sure it was released in the states. I'll see if I can find some places for you to pick it up if I get a moment this afternoon.

EDIT: here you go mate, cheap as chips:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...9795747-9593763

Hey Tim and Jim, when you do pick up 'Prepare the masses' (I guarantee 100% you will not regret it) it might be best to check if they're stocking 'An offer you can't refuse' (2005) too. I was just listening to both this morning and 'Prepare the masses' is definitely the better, but 'An offer...' is well worth the time too.

The guy is just a really good song-writer and can't hide from the big hooks. There's a bit of screaming on 'An offer...' and the sound is not as big as 'Prepare...' but it's really an excellent album (not a single filler on both albums) and it's worth having both. If you can get their debut EP too, probably best to get all 3 discs. :) I'm still looking for an original copy of the debut myself.

Thanks Geoff! I'm on it!

Excellent... looking forward to hearing what you guys think once it beats the living nonsense out of your eardrums. :banger:

Thanks Geoff! I'm on it!

Excellent... looking forward to hearing what you guys think once it beats the living nonsense out of your eardrums. :banger:

Yep have ordered mine. It's gonna have to wait in the queue though as Avenged Sevenfold will be getting most of the airtime over the next week or two...