Jean Andersen gets to "boot"

Back in April, I had a pretty decent E Bay auction and sold one of the rarest pieces I've come across in ages from a Colorado band called THRILL STREET "Peep Show". The auction winner was Jean Andersen of Toronto, Canada who formerly went by the E Bay name of "11jean11" until Tony (Koogles) got him booted for some non payments. Then, he whined and cried because he got booted and I even went to bat for him as a reference to try and get back on E Bay........(somebody beat me with a 2 X 4, please!!!!)

He then started using the e bay ID "bina.g" and won the Thrill Street CD in my auction for $391.25. The guy sends me $391.25 by paypal and doesn't even include the postage..........

Good ole Delbert says "hey, this guy just dropped some big $$$, I'll pay the postage for him". I mail the CD using Global Priority Mail with tracking and the post office department web site shows it was delivered to him 5 days later. "wonderful!!!!" ........... at least that is what I thought!!

May 4 rolls around and I get the dreadful Paypal Email telling me they are investigating the transaction for possible fraud and the payment is being put into escrow.........

The awful day arrived on June 13......PAYPAL notified me they had completed the investigation of the transaction and they had reversed the payment. My telephone call to PAYPAL was like talking to a box of rocks......"they were so sorry, but privacy policy prevented them from revealing the nature of the transaction reversal" (HEY BOYS, I'M A PARTY TO THIS TRANSACTION!!!)

They 'suggested' I contact Jean Andersen and have him explain the problem. And.....I emailed Jean and talked to him on the phone several times and all I ever got from him was I don't have your money.....I checked with my bank and they don't know anything about it.......

I told Jean if I didn't get my money sent to me using Western Union by Monday, July 10, I was going to notify E Bay that he was a suspended user using another account and further that I would tell everyone on planet Earth about how he conducts business. His response was "I'll send you back your CD". I told him I had already paid an E Bay commission on that transaction, E Bay listing fees, Paypal fees and postage to send the CD to him and I would not settle for that.....I wanted my money!!

bina.g is no longer a registered user on E Bay ............

If you choose to do business with this guy, just remember....everything may be just wonderful (as it appeared with me, because I had sold him many CDs), however........be aware of his true nature!!!!

Delbert

Thanks for the heads-up Delbert. I didn't technically get 11jean11 booted from eBay... he didn't pay and got himself booted off. I just submitted a NPB report and eBay did the rest. If I knew it was get him NARU-Ed, I would have probably used a lighter stick. Since then, Jean and I have had some solid transactions, all with the understanding that we don't use Paypal and opt instead for Western Union payments. This has seemed to work well. In future, I would recommend using Western Union as the safest possible option. Apparently, selling with Paypal is like fuckin without a rubber: high risk cuz you got no protection!!

eBay doesn't recommend Western Union at all... In fact, they recommend NOT using it as you don't know who's picking up the money at the other end.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accept...nts-policy.html

eBay wants to ensure that the marketplace offers buyers an array of safe, appropriate, and convenient payment choices for the marketplace. As described in our safe buying guide, eBay strongly encourages sellers to offer payments through PayPal – PayPal is not only convenient to use, but it also offers buyers and sellers industry leading protection against fraud, chargebacks and theft of financial data. Merchants with their own merchant credit card processing account, and those who use a third-party credit card processor, may also offer their buyers the option of paying directly with a credit card online (including through third party checkout) or by phone.

From time to time, as new payment services arise, eBay will evaluate them to determine whether they are appropriate for the marketplace. Payment services that are not permitted on eBay may, in fact, be outstanding services for consumers in other contexts. eBay’s evaluation relates only to whether a particular service is appropriate for the eBay marketplace. eBay will consider the following factors, among others, in making its determination:

Whether the payment model offers substantial financial, privacy and anti-fraud protection for buyers and sellers

Whether the payment model raises the potential for confusion among eBay users, or involves incentives that may present fraud concerns

Whether the payment model involves precious metals, or other non-cash (points, miles, minutes, coupons, discounts) as consideration

Whether the payment service has a substantial historical track record of providing safe and reliable financial and/or banking related services (new services without such a track record generally cannot be promoted on eBay)

The identity, background and other business interests of the payment service sponsor

The license/regulatory status of the payment provider in the countries where it provides payment services

Offline payment methods generally do not offer the same level of protection or convenience as online payments. Nonetheless, they may be appropriate for certain types of transactions and sellers may use listings to offer acceptance of most valid financial instruments including personal checks, cashier’s checks, money orders or COD.

Policy

Permitted on eBay.com: Sellers may offer to accept PayPal, credit cards including MasterCard/Visa /Amex/Discover, debit cards and bank electronic payments online for eBay purchases. Sellers may also offer to accept bank-to-bank transfers, often known as bank wire transfers or bank cash transfers. Sellers may accept COD (cash on delivery) or cash for in person transactions. Sellers may offer to accept personal checks, money orders, cashier's checks, certified checks and other negotiable instruments. Please see the "Some Examples" section of this policy for those evaluated payment services permitted in the eBay marketplace.

Not permitted on eBay.com: Sellers may not solicit buyers to mail cash. Sellers may not ask buyers to send cash through instant cash transfer services (non-bank, point-to-point cash transfers) such as Western Union or Moneygram. Sellers may not solicit payment through "topping off" of a seller's pre-paid credit or debit card. Finally, sellers may not request payment through online payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy. Please see the "Some Examples" section of this policy for those evaluated payment services not permitted in the eBay marketplace.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions including:

Listing cancellation

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Loss of PowerSeller status

Account suspension

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/isgw-buyer-tips.html

As an eBay buyer, you can take the following precautions to help ensure a successful trading experience.

Before bidding or using the Buy It Now button

Remember that you automatically enter into a legally binding contract to purchase the item from the seller if you're the winning buyer in the listing or use the Buy It Now feature. When sellers do not receive payment for an item, they can file an Unpaid Item dispute. eBay can then issue a strike on the account of the buyer who does not honor their obligation to pay (unless the buyer and seller mutually agree not to complete the transaction). eBay's research has shown that following a few simple tips can significantly reduce the rate of unpaid item disputes.

Carefully review the item listing and make sure you understand the seller's shipping terms, refund and return policy, and other terms and conditions.

Review the seller's terms and shipping details to make sure you are eligible to bid on the item. If the seller has any buyer requirements that you don't meet, contact the seller for permission prior to placing a bid or using the "Buy It Now" feature.

Make sure that the seller accepts your preferred payment method.

Ask your seller questions using the "Ask seller a question" link on the item listing page.

If you have a problem communicating with the seller through email after you have won the item, you can request contact information for your seller (including a phone number).

Make sure that you update your contact information, including your email address, whenever it changes.

Make sure that you don't have any "spam" blocking software installed that may limit a seller from communicating with you.

If you have computer or connection problems, you can access your eBay account through any computer with Internet access, such as those at a library or friend's house. You can monitor your bids from your My eBay page from any computer connected with the Internet.

Check the seller's sales history through feedback as well as their current items to get an idea of their areas of expertise. For example, if the seller has only sold recipes, and then lists a plasma television, make sure that you are comfortable with the transaction before you bid. Learn more about knowing your seller.

Make sure your preferred method of payment offers purchase protection.

Use common sense. If something seems too good to be true, it often is. Make sure that you are comfortable with the transaction before you bid.

Confirm authenticity of the item.

Educate yourself about eBay's listing policies.

Before sending payment

Contact the seller to arrange payment. Verify your seller's contact information.

Use extra caution with international transactions, as well as high-price and popular items.

For high-price items, you can pay using an eBay approved escrow service like www.escrow.com.

Insure your item.

Keep a record of all purchases.

What to avoid

Paying with instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram that send cash instantly from storefront locations, by telephone and over the Internet. If your seller insists on using only these payment options, report it to eBay.

Transactions where the seller only accepts cash.

Unsolicited offers. If the seller offers to sell you the item directly without bidding on and winning the item on eBay, please don't respond. Instead, please report it to eBay immediately.

Fake escrow services. Use caution when considering an escrow service to pay for your item. For eBay transactions, you should only use the following eBay approved escrow companies: For a list of approved sites, Using Escrow Services.

Hey Andy, Thanks!! ....there's tons of great buyers, traders and sellers out there......you've always been a great buyer along with innumerable other guys (& gals too). Just everyone once in awhile, a bad apple pops up and takes the "fun" out of all this. My problem....it always seems they get me for hundreds at a time instead of 5 or 6 bucks!!!! LOL!!!

Anyway.......it's always a good idea to pass around a "heads up" on some of these characters inorder to help protect ourselves..........

eBay doesn't recommend Western Union at all... In fact, they recommend NOT using it as you don't know who's picking up the money at the other end.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accept...nts-policy.html

eBay wants to ensure that the marketplace offers buyers an array of safe, appropriate, and convenient payment choices for the marketplace. As described in our safe buying guide, eBay strongly encourages sellers to offer payments through PayPal – PayPal is not only convenient to use, but it also offers buyers and sellers industry leading protection against fraud, chargebacks and theft of financial data. Merchants with their own merchant credit card processing account, and those who use a third-party credit card processor, may also offer their buyers the option of paying directly with a credit card online (including through third party checkout) or by phone.

From time to time, as new payment services arise, eBay will evaluate them to determine whether they are appropriate for the marketplace. Payment services that are not permitted on eBay may, in fact, be outstanding services for consumers in other contexts. eBay’s evaluation relates only to whether a particular service is appropriate for the eBay marketplace. eBay will consider the following factors, among others, in making its determination:

Whether the payment model offers substantial financial, privacy and anti-fraud protection for buyers and sellers

Whether the payment model raises the potential for confusion among eBay users, or involves incentives that may present fraud concerns

Whether the payment model involves precious metals, or other non-cash (points, miles, minutes, coupons, discounts) as consideration

Whether the payment service has a substantial historical track record of providing safe and reliable financial and/or banking related services (new services without such a track record generally cannot be promoted on eBay)

The identity, background and other business interests of the payment service sponsor

The license/regulatory status of the payment provider in the countries where it provides payment services

Offline payment methods generally do not offer the same level of protection or convenience as online payments. Nonetheless, they may be appropriate for certain types of transactions and sellers may use listings to offer acceptance of most valid financial instruments including personal checks, cashier’s checks, money orders or COD.

Policy

Permitted on eBay.com: Sellers may offer to accept PayPal, credit cards including MasterCard/Visa /Amex/Discover, debit cards and bank electronic payments online for eBay purchases. Sellers may also offer to accept bank-to-bank transfers, often known as bank wire transfers or bank cash transfers. Sellers may accept COD (cash on delivery) or cash for in person transactions. Sellers may offer to accept personal checks, money orders, cashier's checks, certified checks and other negotiable instruments. Please see the "Some Examples" section of this policy for those evaluated payment services permitted in the eBay marketplace.

Not permitted on eBay.com: Sellers may not solicit buyers to mail cash. Sellers may not ask buyers to send cash through instant cash transfer services (non-bank, point-to-point cash transfers) such as Western Union or Moneygram. Sellers may not solicit payment through "topping off" of a seller's pre-paid credit or debit card. Finally, sellers may not request payment through online payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy. Please see the "Some Examples" section of this policy for those evaluated payment services not permitted in the eBay marketplace.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions including:

Listing cancellation

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Loss of PowerSeller status

Account suspension

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/isgw-buyer-tips.html

As an eBay buyer, you can take the following precautions to help ensure a successful trading experience.

Before bidding or using the Buy It Now button

Remember that you automatically enter into a legally binding contract to purchase the item from the seller if you're the winning buyer in the listing or use the Buy It Now feature. When sellers do not receive payment for an item, they can file an Unpaid Item dispute. eBay can then issue a strike on the account of the buyer who does not honor their obligation to pay (unless the buyer and seller mutually agree not to complete the transaction). eBay's research has shown that following a few simple tips can significantly reduce the rate of unpaid item disputes.

Carefully review the item listing and make sure you understand the seller's shipping terms, refund and return policy, and other terms and conditions.

Review the seller's terms and shipping details to make sure you are eligible to bid on the item. If the seller has any buyer requirements that you don't meet, contact the seller for permission prior to placing a bid or using the "Buy It Now" feature.

Make sure that the seller accepts your preferred payment method.

Ask your seller questions using the "Ask seller a question" link on the item listing page.

If you have a problem communicating with the seller through email after you have won the item, you can request contact information for your seller (including a phone number).

Make sure that you update your contact information, including your email address, whenever it changes.

Make sure that you don't have any "spam" blocking software installed that may limit a seller from communicating with you.

If you have computer or connection problems, you can access your eBay account through any computer with Internet access, such as those at a library or friend's house. You can monitor your bids from your My eBay page from any computer connected with the Internet.

Check the seller's sales history through feedback as well as their current items to get an idea of their areas of expertise. For example, if the seller has only sold recipes, and then lists a plasma television, make sure that you are comfortable with the transaction before you bid. Learn more about knowing your seller.

Make sure your preferred method of payment offers purchase protection.

Use common sense. If something seems too good to be true, it often is. Make sure that you are comfortable with the transaction before you bid.

Confirm authenticity of the item.

Educate yourself about eBay's listing policies.

Before sending payment

Contact the seller to arrange payment. Verify your seller's contact information.

Use extra caution with international transactions, as well as high-price and popular items.

For high-price items, you can pay using an eBay approved escrow service like www.escrow.com.

Insure your item.

Keep a record of all purchases.

What to avoid

Paying with instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram that send cash instantly from storefront locations, by telephone and over the Internet. If your seller insists on using only these payment options, report it to eBay.

Transactions where the seller only accepts cash.

Unsolicited offers. If the seller offers to sell you the item directly without bidding on and winning the item on eBay, please don't respond. Instead, please report it to eBay immediately.

Fake escrow services. Use caution when considering an escrow service to pay for your item. For eBay transactions, you should only use the following eBay approved escrow companies: For a list of approved sites, Using Escrow Services.

Or you could've just said that ebay only wants buyers & sellers to use paypal so they can get their cut...the other "excuses" they offer are horseshit. Ebay likes to shout from the mountain top how they are looking out for buyers & sellers, but the bottom line is they are looking out for their own wallets...period.

Or you could've just said that ebay only wants buyers & sellers to use paypal so they can get their cut...the other "excuses" they offer are horseshit. Ebay likes to shout from the mountain top how they are looking out for buyers & sellers, but the bottom line is they are looking out for their own wallets...period.

Never a more "right on the mark" statement uttered on planet earth..................

I actually told them....essentially that, when I was on the phone with them!!!

Well after reading some of the comments, I hate to see Delbert get stiffed especially for such a large amount of money......Delbert has always been a class act when we've done deals......As far as Ebay goes, I be damned if they are going to dictate to me how i can get my money.......If i want to use Western Union i will, believe me they take more steps to guard against fraud than Ebay has ever thought of, i used Western Union just today, and to verify who i was i had to answer some questions only i would know, and not what is your favorite color or pet kind of shit........It is not even safe to accept "Cashier's Checks" anymore, as just a couple of weeks ago i received payment for some stuff, I had it packaged and was getting ready to head to the Post Office when i get a call from the bank......the bitch stopped payment on the check......then i get an email from her asking if i had mailed her stuff.......So all in all i will accept the kind of payment i want irregardless of what Ebay says, I am selling my goods and paying a fee to use their site so the way i see it i have more than fulfilled my part with them. they get paid twice, listing fees and FVF, so if i want to use another payment service i feel i damn sure can.........

Later

Lon

Well after reading some of the comments, I hate to see Delbert get stiffed especially for such a large amount of money......Delbert has always been a class act when we've done deals......As far as Ebay goes, I be damned if they are going to dictate to me how i can get my money.......If i want to use Western Union i will, believe me they take more steps to guard against fraud than Ebay has ever thought of, i used Western Union just today, and to verify who i was i had to answer some questions only i would know, and not what is your favorite color or pet kind of shit........It is not even safe to accept "Cashier's Checks" anymore, as just a couple of weeks ago i received payment for some stuff, I had it packaged and was getting ready to head to the Post Office when i get a call from the bank......the bitch stopped payment on the check......then i get an email from her asking if i had mailed her stuff.......So all in all i will accept the kind of payment i want irregardless of what Ebay says, I am selling my goods and paying a fee to use their site so the way i see it i have more than fulfilled my part with them. they get paid twice, listing fees and FVF, so if i want to use another payment service i feel i damn sure can.........

Later

Lon

I couldn't agree more Lon, I also use western union, especially when some cd's I sell go for big money, I actually would prefer western union than paypal, western union doesn't show up at my door and take my money back if someone wants to rip me off, paypal does.....also if someone who has had problems in the past wants to buy something from me, I actually demand western union only, I use paypal for all the decent folks out there that I know will never in a million years rip me off......I have to agree with what was said earlier, ebay does not want you to do anything that will take money away from them, they always are talking security but really just want all your dollars to come their way..... :)

Lonnie.....I actually had E Bay remove some of my listings because I indicated in the description that I will accept cash payments and Western Union payments..........

I got the notification from E Bay that they had removed my listings for violation of E Bay policy........

They actually scanned the descriptions for keywords like "cash" and "Western Union"

I could have, but I have reasons for seeing it their way as well as your way. My friends Mike and Jen bought a lawn tractor on ebay about 4 months ago and the "seller" asked for Western Union for Payment. They sent him the $2900 for him to hold it until they had time to drive and get it. When they got there, the owner looked at them and had no clue what they were talking about and he didn't even have his tractor up for sale.

They've already looked into the tractor owner, the palce the check was picked up and they've come up with nothing. Police are involved as well, but nothing is looking hopeful at this time.

That's another reason I'd personally never sending something through Western Union. Paying a small fee for peace of mind doesn't bother me I guess.

I could have, but I have reasons for seeing it their way as well as your way. My friends Mike and Jen bought a lawn tractor on ebay about 4 months ago and the "seller" asked for Western Union for Payment. They sent him the $2900 for him to hold it until they had time to drive and get it. When they got there, the owner looked at them and had no clue what they were talking about and he didn't even have his tractor up for sale.

They've already looked into the tractor owner, the palce the check was picked up and they've come up with nothing. Police are involved as well, but nothing is looking hopeful at this time.

That's another reason I'd personally never sending something through Western Union. Paying a small fee for peace of mind doesn't bother me I guess.

I guess it depends whether you are sending or receiving via western union, I agree that I would not pay using western union, the fees for sending something western union are worse than paypal, and the seller can just pocket the cash, but receiving is another story, you just can't get hurt as a seller that way, other than like Del said, ebay cancelling auctions if you list something using the wrong words, like "cash" or "western union" or proganity of some kind, so I just offer that in my emails with my buyers, again mostly the ones that have had problems with paypal.....just my opinion on the subject, thanks for listening.... :)

Sorry to hear about your ordeal Delbert. I have never accepted PayPal for this very reason. Nobody ever has convinced me that PayPal was the way to go. I still only take money orders... and on a few occasions I have taken checks, with the understanding that the item would not be mailed out until the check cleared. I know it may be the old fashion way of doing things... but I have never been burnt. So it takes a little longer. It's the price the buyer has to pay if he wants to add a rare CD to his collection. I've never had a buyer complaint about method of payment.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal Delbert. I have never accepted PayPal for this very reason. Nobody ever has convinced me that PayPal was the way to go. I still only take money orders... and on a few occasions I have taken checks, with the understanding that the item would not be mailed out until the check cleared. I know it may be the old fashion way of doing things... but I have never been burnt. So it takes a little longer. It's the price the buyer has to pay if he wants to add a rare CD to his collection. I've never had a buyer complaint about method of payment.

The flip side of that is that I won't bid with people who only accept money orders & cash.....been screwed that way before too............

JL

I know Delbert isn't too fond of me but I'd like to add my 2 cents.

I know Dan has said this before but I'd like to add this to ANYONE who makes a purchase of $300 or higher...

USE A CREDIT CARD WHENEVER POSSIBLE.

The Credit Card companies WILL protect you.

For even larger purchases like $5000 and up , I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you go pick up the item in question IN PERSON and give em the cash , or a cashiers check or money orders.

I have bought two Lamborghinis off eBay and there was NO WAY I was going to give somebody any form of payment other than IN PERSON.

I have also bought 'lots' of cd's from sellers up to $4000 and ALWAYS used a credit card so that I didn't get shafted.

As a seller I do accept checks (had 2 bounce in 6 years and both buyers were very apologetic) , money orders , cash, Western Union and of course , the dreaded Paypal - the WORST of them all.

Ebay warned me also that accepting cash and W.U. payments was a violation so I had to change that.

It's not so bad when a domestic buyer files an ITEM NOT RECEIVED complaint because you can shaft them right back but the international transactions are a little more tricky.

HOWEVER , I have found a way to beat Paypal at their own game when it comes to proving delivery in foreign countries (especially Germany)

I know Delbert isn't too fond of me but I'd like to add my 2 cents.

I know Dan has said this before but I'd like to add this to ANYONE who makes a purchase of $300 or higher...

USE A CREDIT CARD WHENEVER POSSIBLE.

The Credit Card companies WILL protect you.

For even larger purchases like $5000 and up , I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you go pick up the item in question IN PERSON and give em the cash , or a cashiers check or money orders.

I have bought two Lamborghinis off eBay and there was NO WAY I was going to give somebody any form of payment other than IN PERSON.

I have also bought 'lots' of cd's from sellers up to $4000 and ALWAYS used a credit card so that I didn't get shafted.

As a seller I do accept checks (had 2 bounce in 6 years and both buyers were very apologetic) , money orders , cash, Western Union and of course , the dreaded Paypal - the WORST of them all.

Ebay warned me also that accepting cash and W.U. payments was a violation so I had to change that.

It's not so bad when a domestic buyer files an ITEM NOT RECEIVED complaint because you can shaft them right back but the international transactions are a little more tricky.

HOWEVER , I have found a way to beat Paypal at their own game when it comes to proving delivery in foreign countries (especially Germany)

Oh man, please provide that info...........I believe Global Priority gives the info they need now also. It didn't use to though....I have been nailed three times by Italy and cannot even ship there now :angry:

JL

Here's a way to beat the Germans...

Use a yellow form called RECORDED DELIVERY. It costs around $2 and is MUCH cheaper than registering.

Not many people know about this form (even postal workers) but Paypal cannot deny that something wasn't delivered with that form.

Can I also recommend for LARGE overseas orders ($200 and up) to go with Global EXPRESS. It includes tracking AND $100 insurance.

delbert is class act i'm sorry for his loss on a bright side (if there is one to this) for me anyways one less person to compete against and i'll state that delbert is by far in the way one of if not the best most honest person on ebay along with koogles, zacherylmie, lionman66, whiplash 1972 metal mayhem to name a few i don't want to forget my once again freind mr. mike butt rock on you all long live rock :banger: