Was I out of line?

Jeff

Today I stopped in a video game store that has a wall of used cd's. They are usually over priced but sometimes I find something decent I'll pay for. I don't know why I was a bit testy...maybe the Chinese food I had for lunch didn't sit right or the fact I have not been to the Mall of America in years (I avoid malls like the plague) but a friend visiting from out of town wanted to go for a few hours today. Anyway,I went through all the cd's, grabbed 3 that I had questions about and went to the clerk. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "Hi, I'd like to take a listen to this CD (Hell Yeah), where's the player?"

Clerk: "We had to rearrange so we got rid of it."

Me: "No way for me to check this out then?"

Clerk: "Nope."

Me: "Alright, where do you guys get your pricing for used cd's?"

Clerk: "We check Amazon."

Me: "Ok just because some clown has $40 for a cd (I put Southgang's Tainted Angel on the counter) does not mean it is worth $40. If this cd was mint you could ask $20 - $30. But yours not only has a drill hole through the UPC, it has a drill hole in the opposite corner of the front insert and the front insert has a crease."

Clerk: "Whatever dude."

Me: (I put Icon's Right Between The Eyes on the counter) "Now this cd in mint condition would maybe go for $7 - $10 on Ebay. Yours has a rippled front cover."

Clerk: "Dude, those are rare collector cd's."

Me: "Not THAT rare...and $44.95 for Icon is ridiculous."

(I start heading for the door)

Me: "I've been stopping in here for 2 years and that WASP Last Command at $39.99 has been here at least that long. You guys keep this up and sorry to say you'll be packing those cd's up as you go out of business. At least get your player back in. I might have bought the Hell Yeah."

Clerk: (Scoffs) "Have a good night."

So, was I out of line?

In some ways yes.

Its doubtful the clerk decided the prices, so having a go at him isnt really that fair, and he has to tow the company line.

It used to piss me off no end when I was working for Pizza Hut to have someone bitching at me about the prices, as if I had any say in it, and as much as I wanted to say "Yeah, the prices are shit!", it was more than my job was worth.

I wouldnt defend the prices, but I wouldnt shoot them down either.

If its a one shop deal, then it was the manager you should have asked for, but if its a chain, then there is absolutely no point moaning about it, cause they really dont give a shit.

And lets face it, we have all gone on eBay or Amazon and seen idiots sticking CDs up for way more than they are worth at $40 or more, and then someone else is selling it for $5, so as you said as you were walking out, they are the ones fucking themselves over in the end as people like you will find those CDs cheaper elsewhere.

I mean, the price on that WASP CD is a joke.

WASP CDs have all been available in the cheap section for years, and have been reissued with extra tracks at bargain prices as well.

No doubt the prices are pretty off, but yeah, I guess as Howdy says it depends if that's the dude putting the prices on them or not. I wouldn't be too phased by it, though. :)

• 2023 Gold Donors
Today I stopped in a video game store that has a wall of used cd's. They are usually over priced but sometimes I find something decent I'll pay for. I don't know why I was a bit testy...maybe the Chinese food I had for lunch didn't sit right or the fact I have not been to the Mall of America in years (I avoid malls like the plague) but a friend visiting from out of town wanted to go for a few hours today. Anyway,I went through all the cd's, grabbed 3 that I had questions about and went to the clerk. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "Hi, I'd like to take a listen to this CD (Hell Yeah), where's the player?"

Clerk: "We had to rearrange so we got rid of it."

Me: "No way for me to check this out then?"

Clerk: "Nope."

Me: "Alright, where do you guys get your pricing for used cd's?"

Clerk: "We check Amazon."

Me: "Ok just because some clown has $40 for a cd (I put Southgang's Tainted Angel on the counter) does not mean it is worth $40. If this cd was mint you could ask $20 - $30. But yours not only has a drill hole through the UPC, it has a drill hole in the opposite corner of the front insert and the front insert has a crease."

Clerk: "Whatever dude."

Me: (I put Icon's Right Between The Eyes on the counter) "Now this cd in mint condition would maybe go for $7 - $10 on Ebay. Yours has a rippled front cover."

Clerk: "Dude, those are rare collector cd's."

Me: "Not THAT rare...and $44.95 for Icon is ridiculous."

(I start heading for the door)

Me: "I've been stopping in here for 2 years and that WASP Last Command at $39.99 has been here at least that long. You guys keep this up and sorry to say you'll be packing those cd's up as you go out of business. At least get your player back in. I might have bought the Hell Yeah."

Clerk: (Scoffs) "Have a good night."

So, was I out of line?

Not IMHO! In this day & with the economy as it has been and/or is, stores, owners & clerks should be doin' as much as possible to keep both their customers happy, also encouragin' further business, whether from a long time customer or potential new customers, whether a video or CD store. I've don't believe I've been in a music store that sells used CD's that doesn't have at least one player. Used cassettes, well, that's another thing, but used CD's? Ya should have the ability/option to listen to 'em first, IMHO! How they are placin' values on 'em by checkin' Amazon? :blink: They might wanna use other methods as well......like CD/booklet/insert conditions & common sense, perhaps? :drink:

If that's the way the clerk actually responded then I don't think you were out of line at all. By reading it it looks like he was responding to you while checking in used games and just didn't give a damn what you were trying to tell him.

If he had actually been concerned (which I seriously doubt) he would of at least PRETENDED to pay attention and act interested.

I'd say you handled that surly little retail douche correctly.

You should have told the clerk to sell them on Evilbay or Amazon there is no way he's going to get those prices especially for Southgang. I've seen ICON's Right Between The Eyes go for $50 on Evilbay but that was for the original Megaforce pressing not the re-issue.

Possibly out of line in a away. Firstly, the snotnose kid probably didn't set those prices and you were having your words on the wrong person. The kid was probably just doing his job. Secondly, I do not know anyone who likes to deal courteously with the 'Know-It-All' customer attitude you brought that day. He was not going to take one customer's word on pricing.

But, I do think used CD shops shouldn't damage CDs by punching barcodes or spines or inserts if they want collector's pricing on them. There should be another category of 'Used' CDs called 'Used/Damaged" that is well below collector's prices.

>> But, I do think used CD shops shouldn't damage CDs by punching barcodes or spines or inserts if they want collector's pricing on them. There should be another category of 'Used' CDs called 'Used/Damaged" that is well below collector's prices. <<

The labels send them out that way to writers, radio people, etc. They're called "punched" CD's or "cut outs." The ones with UPC's intact are called "cleans."

I've had a similar experience in two seperate places recently!

Two weeks ago we went to a town called Chesterfield. Always been crap for CD's but I hadn't been in about 7 years so thought I'd give it a go. In the Saturday market was a CD stall I saw last time, it was IMO overpriced for the stock (and condition) last time, though I was tempted back then with two titles by DOMAIN. Guess what? Almost 7 years later, both are still there, same price but now even more tatty and bleached!

Just this week I venture to a suburb of our fair city which has been pretty decent in the past. I nearly fainted when I saw the two SABU CD's (Later titles but unusual as hell here!) then Ron Mancuso solo,Kelly Hansen... On closer look, Mancuso £8, Sabu £6 each!! I just couldn't say anything so left empty handed.

>> But, I do think used CD shops shouldn't damage CDs by punching barcodes or spines or inserts if they want collector's pricing on them. There should be another category of 'Used' CDs called 'Used/Damaged" that is well below collector's prices. <<

The labels send them out that way to writers, radio people, etc. They're called "punched" CD's or "cut outs." The ones with UPC's intact are called "cleans."

Yes, I am sure some labels do it if they do not have 'Promotional Only' CDs available but not all are done by labels.

But, I do think used CD shops shouldn't damage CDs by punching barcodes or spines or inserts if they want collector's pricing on them. There should be another category of 'Used' CDs called 'Used/Damaged" that is well below collector's prices.

C.D. shops don't put the punch holes or the infamous saw cuts on the c.d.'s. I don't exactally know where they come from.

I agree with selling c.d.'s in that condition, but everyone does it. I got burned on EVILBAY a few times, people selling c.d.'s as new still sealed. They didn't say the c.d.'s had a huge saw cut at the spine. :cussing:

Looks like a mixed bag of opinions which is cool!

It's sort of humorous in a way...as I was muttering "assholes" on my way out the door he was probably muttering "asshole" as I was heading out.

I do know the clerks at this store do the pricing but of course I'm not sure he priced it.

And I do hope they stay in business but figure out their pricing. Stores that carry used cd's are fading away. With this store I have noticed that the cd inventory is getting larger and larger. Not sure if that is due to over pricing or they actually get a lot of trades.

Another thing I figured out with a few stores is they take the cd's they think are worth more and put them on Ebay or Amazon and leave the left overs for us dumpster divers.

I've never encountered this pricing phenomenon with CDs but I've come across it in other collectibles, mainly comic books. I can't tell you how many times I've found a stack of ratty-ass, basically worthless comics at a flea market or antique mall, and I'm told "those are five bucks each." Each time I'd say, "You gotta be kidding." NO ONE wants to buy old Archie comics with no covers on 'em or beat up old romance comics with pencil writing on the wrinkled covers, especially for that price. :lol:

One of the comic book web sites I used to visit called this pricing strategy "The Crazy Old Lady Price Guide." They hear from their grandkids that old comic books are worth money, so they put 'em out there in their flea market stall and make up their own prices for'em. :)