AI generated music… is this where we’re heading?

On 8/25/2024 at 2:48 AM, Darkstone said:

One I did this morning. 

It does seem to yield better results when you use your own lyrics. 

https://suno.com/song/96adf289-4e65-47c8-b3f8-1ed3699d1080

Nice one, cob. 

On 8/25/2024 at 1:07 AM, Darkstone said:

It's actually $10.00 a month.

Hey mate, can you sell this to me? I'm still using the free version but have considered upgrading. I dropped a nice tune tonight that was going longer than 4mins and it cut off. If I had the subscription I could extend it more than 4mins?

And what about the songs where you just have a jumbled lyric or something you want to change at, for example, 1:41 into the song. Can you change that moment easily? 

And the dreaded double-up of a pre-chorus, which I see happened to you with a 'verse 2' - can you delete the double up? Easily my main gripe with Suno, is the un-requested double-up of parts of the song. 

What are the best features of the paid version vs free version? 

As for me, I got through all the lyrics I had written from 20+ years ago in the shed. 247 songs I now have in total. Which does include roughly a dozen new songs. Speaking of pouring hearts, my latest written one came out a bit like this;

https://suno.com/song/c513c32d-af04-4833-9171-6819cfa01c5f

And one of my 25 year old tunes come to life;

https://suno.com/song/94c872e2-c084-423e-b7c2-85e085a18d0a

Probably my favourite new one;

https://suno.com/song/c5900bd4-13dd-48e2-a50a-e39ae715935b

And one more 25 year older for the good times;

https://suno.com/song/9f89759f-0653-40f9-b748-a13e7e7e8a5e

BTW, anyone using Suno, I would highly, highly also recommend downloading and using the program/app Audacity. Once you download your MP3 from Suno you can upload it into this program and clip the song where you want, thus cutting out the often extended outros. 100% essential tool for me. There's quick and easy videos on youtube, but if you need any tips shoot me a msg. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Hey mate, can you sell this to me? I'm still using the free version but have considered upgrading. I dropped a nice tune tonight that was going longer than 4mins and it cut off. If I had the subscription I could extend it more than 4mins?

And what about the songs where you just have a jumbled lyric or something you want to change at, for example, 1:41 into the song. Can you change that moment easily? 

And the dreaded double-up of a pre-chorus, which I see happened to you with a 'verse 2' - can you delete the double up? Easily my main gripe with Suno, is the un-requested double-up of parts of the song. 

What are the best features of the paid version vs free version? 

I guess the main thing is having the actual right to the music, innit? If you wanted to, today, you could set up a soundcloud or bandcamp page and start selling your songs, innit? Is that right?

Whereas I, with a free account... whilst I am happy just creating and downloading the songs for myself, I couldn't do anything with them externally. But you can, with the paid membership? So, if one were ever to consider trying to sell their songs, they'd have to go with the paid membership? And if so, they can still use previously generated tunes to sell? 

• 2024 Gold Donors
4 hours ago, Geoff said:

I guess the main thing is having the actual right to the music, innit? If you wanted to, today, you could set up a soundcloud or bandcamp page and start selling your songs, innit? Is that right?

Whereas I, with a free account... whilst I am happy just creating and downloading the songs for myself, I couldn't do anything with them externally. But you can, with the paid membership? So, if one were ever to consider trying to sell their songs, they'd have to go with the paid membership? And if so, they can still use previously generated tunes to sell? 

Yeah, the main thing is owning the rights and being able to post them externally on Spotify, YouTube, etc without being obligated to cite Suno and being able to use them commercially

If I unsubscribe tomorrow, I still own the rights to songs I'd created whilst being subscribed, in perpetuity.

I don't think that works the other way around. If you were to subscribed tomorrow, I still think the rights to songs you created whilst using the free version would remain with suno.

It's all in their legal terms and conditions. 

Being an unpaid subscriber, you can post them externally, but you need to cite the use of suno and you can't use them commercially. 

I can extend songs, add more verses or solos, but I can't change certain small details without generating a new song. It's a shame, but it's only early days with this technology and I think it will become more advanced very quickly.

I'm definitely gonna check out Audacity, it sounds cool.

Have you tried Udio yet? I'm a paid member there also, but it's very tricky. It seems more advanced, but I haven't got the hang of it yet.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Yeah, the main thing is owning the rights and being able to post them externally on Spotify, YouTube, etc without being obligated to cite Suno and being able to use them commercially

If I unsubscribe tomorrow, I still own the rights to songs I'd created whilst being subscribed, in perpetuity.

I don't think that works the other way around. If you were to subscribed tomorrow, I still think the rights to songs you created whilst using the free version would remain with suno.

It's all in their legal terms and conditions. 

Being an unpaid subscriber, you can post them externally, but you need to cite the use of suno and you can't use them commercially. 

I can extend songs, add more verses or solos, but I can't change certain small details without generating a new song. It's a shame, but it's only early days with this technology and I think it will become more advanced very quickly.

I'm definitely gonna check out Audacity, it sounds cool.

Have you tried Udio yet? I'm a paid member there also, but it's very tricky. It seems more advanced, but I haven't got the hang of it yet.

Yeah, being able to change things within an already generated song would probably get me there in paid subscription too. 

Audacity is a very basic program, for very basic things... works well. Main take away from it is that when you save the new file (export audio) make sure Channels is set to Stereo and and Bit Rate Mode is constant. These two things are vital for getting the MP3 to keep sound quality, I found. 

I have played around with udio, but I agree - very tricky and I couldn't get my head around it. I think ones like that are more for musicians who already have most ideas and concepts prepared and are able to verbalise them with musical knowledge. Suno is perfect if all one can do is write lyrics, lol. 

All these AI songs sound like crappy soundtracks for low tier Japanese anime from the 80s. Actually they are heaps worse than that.

• 2024 Gold Donors
17 hours ago, Geoff said:

Nice tune... I'm guessing this one perhaps about your daughter and the other one about your wife? Pouring your heart out to the forum in form of song, cob. Nice. 

I have neither, but I do have a long time significant other who inspired a couple of them. She isn't in to the music I/we listen to and thinks these songs are a bit "meh". She'd get on well with Auslander. ;)

I'm trying to focus on relatable lyrics. The sort of tracks we would listen to back in the day and think, "this song could be about me".

The ultimate goal would be to write some sort of cohesive history/mythology inspired concept album utilising different styles of hard rock, from ballads to up-tempo rockers in the vein of "Once And Future King" by Gary Hughes. 

Being flat out at work, it's all about finding the time.

• 2024 Gold Donors
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, auslander said:

All these AI songs sound like crappy soundtracks for low tier Japanese anime from the 80s. Actually they are heaps worse than that.

These are AI and in no way do they sound like crappy soundtracks for low tier Japanese anime from the 80s.

Edited by Mr.AOR

• 2024 Gold Donors

One I wrote (100 % my own lyrics) this morning in two different styles.

I'm not sure which version will make the upcoming "Darkstone" album.  ;) 

I reckon I'll get an ARIA award or Grammy next year for sure.  ;);)

https://suno.com/song/692fc08e-b395-4658-8191-6aa664080582

https://suno.com/song/ac707c32-b71f-4eb6-ba46-5cdad455b9ec

Edited by Darkstone

7 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I think I'd have to go with #2... couldn't pass up that riff. #1 seems more fitting, to be fair, but that's some juicy riffage. 

• Like 1

• 2024 Gold Donors
14 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Like both, but give that first one to Daughtry and he'd have a hit with that.

• Haha 1

• 2024 Gold Donors
6 hours ago, Geoff said:

I think I'd have to go with #2... couldn't pass up that riff. #1 seems more fitting, to be fair, but that's some juicy riffage. 

Unfortunately, as you know, I can't take any credit for the riffage. That's all the AI.

And somehow, I magically, and completely randomly found my initial Suno account which still has all my favourite AI tunes yet.

I downloaded this one at the time, but thought the Suno version was gone forever. Anyway, here's my favourite track that Suno and I have created so far, and funnily enough, it is my fifth attempt from the start. Been chasing this dragon since we created it and haven't recaptured the magic yet.

Sounds pretty inspired by a particular band to me, but I'll leave that to the listener. Again, this another 25 year old set of lyrics... so gutted I didn't stick with a standard three chorus version of this song... 

https://suno.com/song/cb8fb7bd-251f-4432-81a2-3278e65002c0

Edit; just played it back again... regardless of what I think of AI songs in general, I just love this one, lol. Crazy how few prompts I used too... didn't even break up verses and choruses. Perhaps a sign I should go back to basics? 

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 1

• 2024 Gold Donors
17 minutes ago, Geoff said:

And somehow, I magically, and completely randomly found my initial Suno account which still has all my favourite AI tunes yet.

I downloaded this one at the time, but thought the Suno version was gone forever. Anyway, here's my favourite track that Suno and I have created so far, and funnily enough, it is my fifth attempt from the start. Been chasing this dragon since we created it and haven't recaptured the magic yet.

Sounds pretty inspired by a particular band to me, but I'll leave that to the listener. Again, this another 25 year old set of lyrics... so gutted I didn't stick with a standard three chorus version of this song... 

https://suno.com/song/cb8fb7bd-251f-4432-81a2-3278e65002c0

Edit; just played it back again... regardless of what I think of AI songs in general, I just love this one, lol. Crazy how few prompts I used too... didn't even break up verses and choruses. Perhaps a sign I should go back to basics? 

Nice one.

I know the thrill of hearing your own lyrics come to life.