What Happened To Iron Maiden?

So as I've mentioned before, I'm in a period where I get to churn through a huge amount of albums that I've accumulated over the last few years and have banked up due to me being pretty busy.
Been traveling a lot, and when I'm home, I've been walking to work and back (40 mins each way) so have had heaps of time to get through the music.

So I've made it through over 50 albums in the last 6 months, and now I have only 9 left in my spotify.
They are the ones I've put off as they are take a lot of listen to get into and include Revolution Saints, Jeff Scott Soto, Iron Maiden and Asking Alexandria (not sure why that one is on my list)

So today I put Maiden on. Book Of Souls.
I've moved away from Maiden for years now, last great album was Somewhere In Time for me, after that they got boring.

So I'm listening to Book Of Sould for the second time, and jesus, not sure what happened to them.
Are they classed as prog now? They sound like it.

Only ones that have provided any hope of being any good are Tears Of A Clown, Elpire Of The Coulds, and Shadows Of The Valley (which has hope only really because of teh Wasted Years vibe)

So wondering if they have gradually been changing, and I'm dropping back in to a prog Maiden, or maybe they just don't wrioote hooky, melodic, catchy songs any more?

• Like 1

I'd be the same as yourself with Maiden , after Somewhere In Time I picked up No Prayer For The Dying because they were actually coming to play Belfast for the first time in years on that tour...last one I bought was Fear Of The Dark and havent really gave them the time of day since, so as for change of sound I have no form of reference.

Edited by lettard

• 2023 Gold Donors

I’d like to say that they more or less evolved.Since their comeback release-Brave New World-they’ve been putting out longer songs which means every CD is over an hour. I personally like Book of Souls and Senjutsu, didn’t care for Final Frontier. If you want a more catchy music I would recommend getting Bruce’s new solo release 

12 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

So as I've mentioned before, I'm in a period where I get to churn through a huge amount of albums that I've accumulated over the last few years and have banked up due to me being pretty busy.
Been traveling a lot, and when I'm home, I've been walking to work and back (40 mins each way) so have had heaps of time to get through the music.

So I've made it through over 50 albums in the last 6 months, and now I have only 9 left in my spotify.
They are the ones I've put off as they are take a lot of listen to get into and include Revolution Saints, Jeff Scott Soto, Iron Maiden and Asking Alexandria (not sure why that one is on my list)

I've moved away from Maiden for years now, last great album was Somewhere In Time for me, after that they got boring.

So I'm listening to Book Of Sould for the second time, and jesus, not sure what happened to them.

Only ones that have provided any hope of being any good are Tears Of A Clown, Elpire Of The Coulds, and Shadows Of The Valley (which has hope only really because of teh Wasted Years vibe)

So wondering if they have gradually been changing, and I'm dropping back in to a prog Maiden, or maybe they just don't wrioote hooky, melodic, catchy songs any more?

"The Red and the Black" is phenomenal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nyoilers said:

I’d like to say that they more or less evolved.Since their comeback release-Brave New World-they’ve been putting out longer songs which means every CD is over an hour. I personally like Book of Souls and Senjutsu, didn’t care for Final Frontier. If you want a more catchy music I would recommend getting Bruce’s new solo release 

Actually tattooed millionaire, the song, came on the other day and I enjoyed it a lot.

From memory it was the only real stand out for me with that solo album, but may be worth another listen. May also give the new one a go. 😆

18 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

I stopped after Powerslave pretty much ...

Bands change. I like their new proggy stuff. Do I like it as much as their 80s albums? No, of course not. But there are very few bands that I like their new stuff as much as their classic material. I can't think of any. Iron Maiden still rule!

My honest take on Maiden is this. I first became aware of them when the singles from Seventh son came out, but wasn't really into rock and metal at that time. Then when Bring your daughter came out and went to #1 in the UK singles chart (that is the pop chart, not the rock chart btw) I was in my early days of rock and metal, so I bought the single and the album and even bought Seventh son. I then did the whole complete discography thing and bought Fear of the dark and its singles when it released.

Then Bruce fucked off and Blaze joined. I loved The X Factor and went to see the band for the first time live (with Helloween supporting).  Virtual XI was ok, but beyond Clansman it was a weak album compared to X factor.

Then Bruce fucked back and they released Brave new world which I thought was a shitty comeback as the songs just sounded like repeats of their classic songs with repetitive choruses where they just repeated the same line over and over.

I went to see them again and hated the gig as the support acts were not my cuppa (Slayer and Entombed) and all Maiden did was perform the whole of the new album which had been out a few weeks at that point, and a few older tracks. Was cool that they played Clansman and Sign of the cross though.

After that I have pretty much waited til I can pick up the new releases cheap, and can honestly say that my playlist probably has about two tracks from the last five albums, which kinda tells you how dull I have found them since Bruce returned.

So many brilliant songs in their back catalogue, but very little even worth listening to from this century.