The Midnight - Heroes

Mr.AOR

Haven't gotten to this one yet (going to wait until tonight for maximum feels), but this is a nice interview on the creative process behind the album. They usually give very insightful answers to these types of questions.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/1665609/the-midnight-interview-heroes-new-album-tim-mcewan-tyler-lyle

Lyrically, "Heroes" is clearly a blueprint for people to connect, heal wounds and move on. Musically, McEwan has shoved the album into some interesting avenues. He likened his creative process in the record to "playing in a sandbox". Visibly impassioned by his shiny new music, McEwan said these tracks "lend themselves to being played in a room full of people, and having everyone sing at the top of their lungs."

First impression: This is not synthwave (save for the closing track, which is amazing) and it didn't really grab me at first listen like Monsters did. But maybe that's because they released half the damn album as single beforehand, lol. 

It sounds much more stripped-down than most of their other work. They were not joking when they said it is more song-oriented. As such I don't think it will be as listenable all the way through as, say, Endless Summer or Kids, but its highest highs (Avalanche, Heart Worth Breaking, Energy Never Dies, It Just Transforms) are IMO among the best songs in their discography. 

I'll listen to it again tonight. This one is already a winner though:

Come to think of it, their closing tracks are always among the best on their respective albums...

• Like 1

After that first listen "Heartbeat" stands out for me as the best on here...but "Heart Worth Breaking" not far behind,it's a nice listen but I agree totally with Eric3 that after the first listen "Monsters" was quite a bit better...still is for me...but I'm enjoying this one too.

12 hours ago, lettard said:

After that first listen "Heartbeat" stands out for me as the best on here...but "Heart Worth Breaking" not far behind,it's a nice listen but I agree totally with Eric3 that after the first listen "Monsters" was quite a bit better...still is for me...but I'm enjoying this one too.

Yep, Heartbeat is my fave too. 

Absolutely loving this album, so many great tracks. Faves so far....... 'Heroes', 'Heartbeat',  'Heart Worth Breaking',  'Energy Never Dies' &  'Golden Gate'

6 minutes ago, Jez said:

Absolutely loving this album, so many great tracks. Faves so far....... 'Heroes', 'Heartbeat', 'Heart Worth Breaking',  'Energy Never Dies' &  'Golden Gate'

Agreed. Loved it too. So many good songs to pick from. As nice as they are, the first and last songs don't do overly much for me, but everything in-between - delicious. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jez said:

Absolutely loving this album, so many great tracks. Faves so far....... 'Heroes', 'Heartbeat',  'Heart Worth Breaking',  'Energy Never Dies' &  'Golden Gate'

Golden Gate is a terrible opener and I fail to see what is great about Energy Never Dies 🤔

2 worst songs on the album mate!

Most of the rest is pretty good, just wish it wasn't so ballad heavy. 

3 hours ago, Glen said:

Golden Gate is a terrible opener and I fail to see what is great about Energy Never Dies 🤔

For me the whole album is brilliant from track 1-13. The opening and closing tracks are nice and 'Ambient' and add to the flavour.  Personally I don't think it's too ballad heavy either and flows really well, but you can skip/mix if ya don't like 'em . Each to their own and all that. A very sweet album indeed

3 hours ago, Glen said:

Haha, I don't know if I'd call them terrible. To me they're kind of like an intro and an outro... not really much to them as individual songs. Nice music and lyrics, but no hooks or anything. Nice sounds, but not really quality songs, imo, of course. 

Not really sure about the ballad thing either. Keeping in mind that these guys aren't exactly a metal band and they're mellow at the very best of times, I'm wondering if you're confusing their lighter approach for an album full of ballads? I'm personally so glad I don't put so much weight on the tempo of a song and just enjoy a song for what it is - good or bad, lol. Must be pretty tiring always point out how bad ballads are. ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Haha, I don't know if I'd call them terrible. To me they're kind of like an intro and an outro... not really much to them as individual songs. Nice music and lyrics, but no hooks or anything. Nice sounds, but not really quality songs, imo, of course. 

Not really sure about the ballad thing either. Keeping in mind that these guys aren't exactly a metal band and they're mellow at the very best of times, I'm wondering if you're confusing their lighter approach for an album full of ballads? I'm personally so glad I don't put so much weight on the tempo of a song and just enjoy a song for what it is - good or bad, lol. Must be pretty tiring always point out how bad ballads are. ;)

A better way of putting it than I did about the opening/closing tracks. Atmospheric that start and finish the album nicely. Pretty typical of some other 'Synthwave' stuff I have heard from Gunship etc. Sweet to my ears  

• 1 month later...