Gotthard - Gotthard (1992)

Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

Another 100% no skip album. 

The two standouts for me amongst a whole album of standouts are "Angel" and "Firedance". I could listen to Vivian Campbell's solo on "Firedance" all day.

Unfortunately, as time has passed it's become quite obvious that "Gotthard" were basically Steve Lee's backing band.

Actually, I could have posted this and "Dial Hard" as a killer 1, 2 KO combination. 

• Like 2

Like this album a lot,bought it simply because of the involvement of Vivian Campbell because I honestly didnt know who they were,was shopping one Saturday in Coleraine and saw this...took a chance and the rest is history,only afterwards did I read a review in Kerrang & Metal Forces,although it isnt quite a no skip for me.

Dial Hard is probably my fav by them but the three in a row of Lipservice,Domino Effect & Need To Believe cemented them as one of my favourite bands,sadly never got to see them,would love to have seen em with Lee in their pomp.

• Like 2

Remember buying at Brashs,. As I was in city for a doctor visit next day, I drop into Metal For Melbourne. Telling them all about, I think Glen was only show interested.

Haven't played it for a long time, to  many good stuff have been release since.

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, Doggy said:

Remember buying at Brashs,. As I was in city for a doctor visit next day, I drop into Metal For Melbourne. Telling them all about, I think Glen was only show interested.

Haven't played it for a long time, to  many good stuff have been release since.

I got mine at JB, Centreway.

My circle of friends were all into this music. One of them became a father at 20. To his credit, he stood up, but it meant we all sort of lost touch with him. He was the go to guy of our group when it came to new music.

One night another mate of mine came over having paid him a visit and hearing this album. Before coming to my place he went by JB and grabbed a copy. I couldn't believe how good it was. I also couldn't believe that he didn't ask if they had another copy...bastard!

The next day I went up to try my luck. This store had one of the best Hard Rock/Metal sections around at the time, but of course, they didn't have it. Then, just before I left (I don't know why, because I hadn't done it before or since) i decided to check "G" in the Popular music section out of desperation. 

Unbelievably, it was there!

I felt like Charlie discovering the Golden Ticket.  

5 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I got mine at JB, Centreway

The next day I went up to try my luck. This store had one of the best Hard Rock/Metal sections around at the time, but of course, they didn't have it. Then, just before I left (I don't know why, because I hadn't done it before or since) i decided to check "G" in the Popular music section out of desperation. 

Unbelievably, it was there!

I felt like Charlie discovering the Golden Ticket.  

J B are still putting in wrong sections today. It's mainly staff who that don't anything about music..

It was most recent for I was looking for the new Black Stone Cherry disc.  On computer they said " They got it ", after searching around for half hour it was found in Country/Western section.

• Haha 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
16 minutes ago, Doggy said:

J B are still putting in wrong sections today. It's mainly staff who that don't anything about music..

It was most recent for I was looking for the new Black Stone Cherry disc.  On computer they said " They got it ", after searching around for half hour it was found in Country/Western section.

There are many JB stores everywhere now, but for decades the one in East Keilor was the only one and it really was a Mecca for all music. I was lucky enough to grow up in the vicinity, so was there often.

I was saddened to see recently that it's no longer there, 

16 hours ago, Darkstone said:

There are many JB stores everywhere now, but for decades the one in East Keilor was the only one and it really was a Mecca for all music. I was lucky enough to grow up in the vicinity, so was there often.

I was saddened to see recently that it's no longer there, 

After Metal For Melbourne , and Metal Labyrinth closed I used to the Elizabeth St one. Paul Haug was their metal adviser, so with his knowledge a lot people went to his store.

I was also faithful and still do to Radical.

On 3/2/2021 at 7:41 PM, lettard said:

Like this album a lot,bought it simply because of the involvement of Vivian Campbell because I honestly didnt know who they were,was shopping one Saturday in Coleraine and saw this...took a chance and the rest is history,only afterwards did I read a review in Kerrang & Metal Forces,although it isnt quite a no skip for me.

Dial Hard is probably my fav by them but the three in a row of Lipservice,Domino Effect & Need To Believe cemented them as one of my favourite bands,sadly never got to see them,would love to have seen em with Lee in their pomp.

It was the Domino Effect album that got me in to Gotthard. My uncle had it on in the car and by the second track Gone Too Far.. the rest is history as they say. I 100% agree with the run of Lipservice, Domino Effect and Need To Believe cementing them as a top band in the genre and in my own personal ranking. Those 3 are pure gold. I was fortunate to see them on both the Domino Effect and Need To Believe tour - Steve was the ultimate frontman. Real gent too. 

The self titled and Dial Hard are both killer hard rock albums also. Some great driving riffs in there. 

• Like 2