Houston - Relaunch II

Stefan

The first 'Relaunch' was pretty good, and acted as a good stop gap until album number 2 proper arrived. Good to see them doing another one.

I really love this band's original material but have not ventured into the covers stuff yet, and not sure I'll bother... Maybe, though.

• 1 month later...

From rockngrowl.com:

Swedish AOR outfit HOUSTON will release their fourth album, “Relaunch II“, on September 8th worldwide via Livewire/Cargo Records. HOUSTON released today the brand new lyric video for the song “Our Love“, the song featuring guests from Reckless Love, Crazy Lixx, Casablanca & Reach.

Relaunch II’ is the follow up to ‘Relaunch’ that was released in 2011 and featured the song ‘Runaway’ that was included in Danny MacAskills Imaginate video from Redbull, The video has an amazing 20 million views and counting.

Relaunch II’ consists 6 cover songs of John Farnham, John O’Banion, One Republic, Rick Springfield, Florida Georgia Line, Lady Gaga and 4 brand new songs from the band.

The band has gone through some changes, we have a new line-up and we want this album to show that we are still paying tribute to the music that inspired us to form the band that is Houston today and that we’re experimenting a lot more than ever. We’ve got a brilliant new band both on record and live and we live in such an interesting musical time where we can experiment with different genres” says frontman Hank Erix.

Track listing:

1. Justice For One (Originally by John Farnham)
2. Love Is Blind (Originally by John O’Banion)
3. Counting Stars * (Originally by One Republic)
4. Souls (Originally by Rick Springfield)
5. Don’t Look Back (Brand new from Houston)
6. Cruise (Originally by Florida Georgia Line)
7. Do What You Want ** (Originally by Lady Gaga)
8. Our Love (Brand new from Houston)
9. Downtown (Brand new from Houston)
10. Standing On The Moon (Brand new from Houston)

* Duet with Victor Lundberg
** Duet with Lizette Von Panajott

Not a bad song.

• 1 month later...

Only one listen into this one but it is definitely a stronger album than "Relaunch". The originals are really good and the covers nice and varied. I also feel the production is stronger than on the first covers album.

This band just keep moving from strength to strength and I sincerely look forward to another all-originals album very soon.

Talk about a blowback! Main songwriter/keyboardist Ricky Delin has decided to leave the band, apparently to pursue a solo career. I wonder who's gonna write another "II" for them now??

Edit: With founding member Freddie Allen also out it means the whole foundation of the band is now gone. Doesn't look good at all for the future of Houston.

The album is a good one and as Kim says, is much better than the first covers disc. I like the wider choice of covers here and the only one not hitting the mark was the One Republic track. I particularly enjoyed the Florida Georgia Line 'Cruise' cover and even the Lady Gaga track is cool too...nice to hear the band doing something a little different. Of the more traditional AOR stuff, the John O'Banion 'Love Is Blind' and Rick Springfields 'Souls' are both top class. The 4 originals are all solid, making this well worth while picking up imo.

• 1 month later...

It's funny; I heard this without knowing any of the songs except that 'Counting stars' rubbish and I assumed they were all covers. Funny thing is, I pinpointed the 4 originals as being the best songs on the album, without knowing they were original tunes.

I actually really like this and it's made me seek out 'Relaunch,' which I avoided first time around. 4 new songs is a solid effort and like Jez says, apart from 'Counting stars,' (you can't polish dogshit) all the covers are very good.

• 4 months later...