Incura - Incura (2014)

AlphaMale

Wasn't quite sure where to post this band. Quite a few genres present in their music. I like 'em though. Pretty cool.

http://www.rockadia.com/reviews/incura-incura-album-review/2297

Incura: “Incura” – Album Review

By Roxy Baker
Jan 29, 2014

The Canadian theatrical quintet arrives in style with the release of their debut album on February 24th, offering an eclectic mix of genres that’ll stop you in your tracks, for sure!

Woah. Just woah.

Not many albums take my breath away - whether it be through musicianship, through composition, through structure or through sheer bravery – but this my friends, has done just that.

The music of Incura cannot be pigeon-holed or categorised, and this is down to the simple fact that this collection of tracks spans over a wide range of rock and theatrical genres – from hardcore blast beats, to progressive complication, to string sections, grand pianos and airy harmonised vocals, to meaty riffage with the dynamics of a rock opera on a hallucinogenic drug. Woah.

Kicking off with monster track ‘Get The Gun’, the assault on your eardrums quickly acknowledges the fact that this is something quite special – a symphony of surprises! The song arrangement, instrumental and vocal work here perfectly exemplifies the album in its entirety, with the ferocious core riff and the dynamic verses along with the general chord progression and the powerful yet endearing mid section.

With precise instrumental skill comes ‘I Breathe This’, again an incredibly dynamic track with some complimentary vocal harmonies and an incredibly versatile vocal performance from frontman Kyle Gruninger. Now, I’m no fan of thin ‘screeching’ falsetto singing, and in most cases it can deter me from appreciating a band as a whole. But this is different. Whilst this vocal style is like Marmite (you either like it or you don’t), the Incura vocal + music blend is completely compatible, complimenting each other through the loud, and the quiet and the completely insane.

Moving on through the album, there is one consistent thought – the level of skill present in this album is superb and simply cannot be ignored. Phil Gardner produces profound power through his intricate beats, of which bassist Jono Olson is tightly locked in, Jim McClaren shows his sheer versatility on keys through piano excerpts through to synth sounds, and Royce Whittaker is quite simply the master of his instrument – all the ingredients need to craft this diverse masterpiece.

Composed over two full years, you can smell the creativity and passion oozing out of this record, like freshly baked bread. But, instead of plain standard bread, Incura showcase a combination product, almost like a ‘best of’ series that includes all your favourite elements of the individual products, put together in such a way that seems natural and unoffending, and completely fucking awesome!

The theatrical influences can be heard heavily throughout the album, the music just needs some choreography then it’s stage ready for a theatre near you! Combine that with the progressive tendencies similar to an early Focus or Dream Theatre, coupled with gargantuan Mastodon-like riffs, the atmospherics of Genesis, the likeness to The Red Paintings (and perhaps even Queen at some points) and the melodic power to blow your brains out. Simples.

To taste those theatrical delights, listen to ‘I’m Here With You’, ‘Who You Are’ and ‘Decide’, but for the more progressive crunchy side get your ears onto ‘Here To Blame’ and ‘The Greatest Con’. For the love of tempo changes check out ‘Sweat runs Cold’ and to turn down the volume turn to ‘I’d Give Anything’ and expect to see the track ‘Turning Blue’ blasted out of rock stations and video channels sometime soon.

Incura has truly blasted away from mediocrity and musical stereotypes by presenting their ear-bashing ‘Shakespearean’ invention “Incura” covering numerous genres and topics in one 10 track sitting. Bloody Marvelous!!

4.5/5

01. Get The Gun
02. I Breathe This
03. I’m Here Waiting
04. Who You Are
05. Turning Blue
06. Decide
07. Here To Blame
08. The Greatest Con
09. I’d Give Anything
10. Sweat Runs Cold

Pre-order the album now right here.
Official release date is February 24th.

Some of these tracks have been knocking around for a while so good they are getting a proper album release - out already I see, will check this for sure.

Thanks for the heads up.

• 7 months later...

Hi everybody!

So happy finally to find a forum in which it's talked about one of most fav rock-bands Incura!:)

If any of you loves the band's music and has a facebook account, you can join our group Incura International Fanclub on FB!

The group was created only 2 weeks ago, that's why I need to search for the guys' fans in every social network, forums, etc.. to unite! Hope you'll understand! :)

Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/incurainternationalfanclub/

• My Little Pony

NIce creative direction on this one.

I love it. It's a great album, that I fear has been overlooked by this forum.

Outside of the choruses, I'm very skeptical. The choruses, however, sound amazing. Interesting band. Sounds like My Chemical Romance mixed with Panic! At The Disco, but with kind of a harder rocking edge. And there's a lot of the dude from Hedley in the vocals too. Though he seems more annoying than the Hedley guy, lol. Anyway, it sounds interesting enough to check it out.

• 1 year later...

Outside of the choruses, I'm very skeptical. The choruses, however, sound amazing. Interesting band. Sounds like My Chemical Romance mixed with Panic! At The Disco, but with kind of a harder rocking edge. And there's a lot of the dude from Hedley in the vocals too. Though he seems more annoying than the Hedley guy, lol. Anyway, it sounds interesting enough to check it out.

This.

I think I dislike the verses far too much to bother with these guys.

This.

I think I dislike the verses far too much to bother with these guys.

It's definitely an acquired taste.