Within Temptation - Hydra. Coming January 31, 2014

heavyharmonies

Woot!!!

Deluxe Box Set

Aside from the digital premium version, Hydra will also be released in a deluxe box set including exclusive items many of you have been asking for, for a long time:

Within-Temptation-Hydra-Deluxe-Box-Set1.

Within Temptation - Hydra - Deluxe Box Set

* Hydra 18-track album including bonus tracks in the form of a media book with a hot foil print cover, featuring a 100 page booklet consisting of unique photos

* Double gatefold black vinyl version of the album including bonus tracks

* Instrumental version of the entire album

* Songbook with sheet music of the songs of the album

* Hydra guitar pick

* Packaged in an especially designed LP-sized box

Pre-order the Hydra Deluxe Box Set:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydra-box-set-Within-Temptation/dp/B00GJ7CVYQ/

Eventually, Hydra will also be available as a jewel-case CD version, a double vinyl LP, and a Special Edition Double CD with the media book.

(Price seems hefty at first glance, but 59,99 Euros converted to dollars = $77, plus shipping from Europe, and all the other venues I've found are more than the Amazon pre-order price.)

• 1 month later...

Just an update: The Amazon price on the Boxed Set has dropped from $104 to $77 shipped, which is the lowest price anywhere.

Pre-ordered my copy for £40 over here back in November, which is a really good price compared to some other of these type of box sets that have been released previously. Since then it gone up to £50, so I got a good deal I think. Roll on end of Jan

• 1 month later...

So I got the early peek of this album, basically it's as strong as the previous but I'm afraid in the next album, they might get trapped into monotonous arrangement. It's a weird thing with the Xzibit rapping part on 'And We Run', but the song is quite catchy and I guess the rap is harmless, although I think the track will be much better if they put up a more symphonic approach, say like a church choir or something like that. 'Let Us Burn' is amazing and a bit commercial so probably will be easier to get played on radio or TV, 'Paradise' with Tarja is also sensational. The two ballads here are also lovable, 'Edge of The World' is quite haunting and 'The Whole World Is Watching' is with faster tempo and perhaps more poppish than 'Edge'.

Now I hear a quite poor production on the drums part, sound a bit drowned, but musicianship is top notch and replay value is around 8.5. This is quite solid, I might prefer the previous album but this one is also a very good follow-up and recommended for a pick even though you're not into symphonic metal because most songs here are very accessible and contains a lot of melodic hooks.

83%

Now I hear a quite poor production on the drums part, sound a bit drowned

Query: Are you listening to a promo digital release or the actual CD?

I agree that what I've heard initially don't suggest the best production in the world, but I'm withholding judgment until my physical CDs arrive.

More than once I've gotten a negative impression of an album, only to hear a HUGE difference when I've heard the physical CD. Depending on which MP3 encoder is used, the settings, and the bitrate, a great production job can be turned into shit in a matter of keystrokes.

Half of the publicity people sending out promos don't know crap about digital conversion... I think they sometimes leave crap on "highest compression" or "optimized for shitty cellphone" when that is the absolute LAST thing they should be doing... they are doing their clients a complete disservice.

-Dan

I gave this one a quick listen too, and first impressions are that it's good, but not as good as 'The Unforgiving.' I didn't hear any issues with production but I didn't really hear anything to really blow my nuts into my throat and out of my gaping jawline. First impression, though... will see how I go after the rest.

Arrived through the letterbox today. Absolutely top class album and to my ears nothing wrong with the production at all.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This is a good album - stood up well to listens through the year. It's losing touch with my top 10, and even top 20 now with a banquet of strong end of year releases, but wherever it ends up, it is a good album.

It's gonna make my top list, maybe not top 5 but definitely in there. One of the best discs of the year for me

I will say, that if I did a list for best female fronted albums of 2014, it's definitely in second spot (behind the great Moonland disc) by quite a long way.

I will say, that if I did a list for best female fronted albums of 2014, it's definitely in second spot (behind the great Moonland disc) by quite a long way.

If i did one it would be empty ;-)

Haha. Now let's not get savage. I agree that this year has honestly offered up more weak female vocalists than I've ever witnessed before. A few potentially very good discs (Adrenaline Rush and Xtasy come to mind immediately) were more or less ruined by poor vocals.

However, my top 10 would look a little like this, and it's not all doom:

1. Moonland - s/t

2. Within Temptation - Hydra

3. We Are The In Crowd - Weird Kids

4. In This Moment - Black Widow

5. Adrenaline Crush - s/t

6. Sister Sin - Black Lotus

7. Kjetil By - Better Days (Robin Beck)

... haha, who am I kidding? I'm grasping at straws now. I love the Moonland disc. I think Within Temptation and We Are The In Crowd are both very good. In This Moment & Sister Sin are solid additions to their discographies. Like I said, Adrenaline Rush would be much better if she was a stronger vocalist, and the Robin Beck one would have benefited 100% from a decent production job.

Anyway, they're about the only 7 female fronted releases from this year worth talking about, imo. The rest have been pretty poor.

Oh, there is one I haven't rated yet - the christian one produced by Martensson. That one sounded okay.