Best modern rock discs of 2013?

Geoff

Anyone getting any joy out of modern rock in 2013, or has the ship sailed for everyone here? Usually my picks are just up in the mix with my other favourite CDs of the year, but this year the entire top half is basically dominated by "non-modern" discs. So yeah, just thought I'd do a separate list of what's working for me in modern rock in 2013:

1. Jonas & The Massive Attraction - Live Out Loud

2. Mest - Not What You Expected

3. A Day To Remember - Common Courtesy

4. Escape The Fate - Ungrateful

5. Neverstore - Neverstore

6. We Came As Romans - Tracing Back Roots

7. Colton Dixon - A Messenger

8. New Device - Here We Stand

9. Heaven's Basement - Filthy Empire

10. Conditions - Full Of War

11. Sleeping With Sirens - Feel

12. A Life Divided - The Great Escape

13. These Hearts - Yours To Take

14. Emphatic - Another Life

15. Asking Alexandria - From Death To Destiny

16. Hawthorne Heights - Zero

17. Last Day Before Holiday - Fighting The Hard Times

18. Falling In Reverse - Fashionably Late

19. Black Veil Brides - Wretched & Divine

20. Coldrain - The Revelation

Really loving the new Mest disc. After going out with a bang 8 years ago, with the excellent 'Photographs' CD, I have honestly thought of them through the years, wondering what could have been if they kept at it. Fast forward 8 years, after a break up and reunion, and they finally release their next disc, which is everything 'Photographs' promised this band had to offer. Really nice disc. A few picks:

A Day To Remember also return with another deadset winner. I know Tim (2) and I have both championed this band for a long time, and I would be interested to hear his thoughts on this one, as screams are all but gone and there are some very light almost AOR moments on this one. Lightest album yet, but another deadset killer.

Despite their lower standing on the list, I also really dig the Sleeping With Sirens and We Came As Romans discs. Some good discs on this list for sure, imo.

Anyone got any good ones I've missed? Where the frig is Waltham at???!!!

Degreed is modern isnt it? That a good disc. My fav on yr list is Heavens Basement - not really modern though just a very cool hard rock disc.

Daughtry should be good.

Is Degreed considered modern, is it? Ha, I don't know, mate. I wouldn't have thought so personally, but if so, I think it'd be 2nd on my list. It is a great disc. Yeah, I'm looking forward to Daughtry too.

I'm really enjoying Emphatic's "Another Life". This has been the only new release this year that I thought was worth the wait.

I'm also really liking Pistol Day Parade - Burn. That's probably my pick for the best of this year. Check it out, if you haven't heard it yet.

Jonas & The Massive Attraction is good, but I haven't heard some of the others on your list. I'll give a listen.

• 1 month later...

I'm confused what Modern means as well then. Why would Heaven's Basement be 'modern'?

The kids described it as old Daddy music so young people see it as old!

Its not modern. Just a great hard rock disc

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying Emphatic's "Another Life". This has been the only new release this year that I thought was worth the wait.

I'm also really liking Pistol Day Parade - Burn. That's probably my pick for the best of this year. Check it out, if you haven't heard it yet.

Jonas & The Massive Attraction is good, but I haven't heard some of the others on your list. I'll give a listen.

Thanks for the tips. I enjoy the Emphatic one too, but as per my list it was a little down the ladder for me personally. I want to check out Pistol Day Parade, but that 'Burn' album seems a little tricky to obtain. I'll work at it and see how I go.

As I noted in another thread, a must check out release in modern rock is an EP called 'My Heavy' by Thief Club (Hit The Lights' lead singer side-project).

If I redid my list, I think A Day To Remember would be on top, I think. Killer disc, is 'Common Courtesy.'

Another killer disc I heard just at the end of the year, is the new one from Kids In Glass Houses - 'Peace.' Odd band, this one. Their debut sucks balls, and then in 2010 they surprised the shit out of me with a modern rock "classic" (imo) in 'Dirt.' Then, on a massive high, they served me one of the biggest disappointments of 2011 with 'In Gold Blood.' I'll be honest and say I basically wrote them off as a one hit wonder, and thought that they had a single stab at commercial success with 'Dirt' and that was it.

So blacken my balls with your tickle slaps, if they didn't come back in 2013 and release a killer disc which is not that far off in the quality of 'Dirt.' It's delicious from the start, with some amazing hooks - killer tunes. But the end of this disc is just a piece of delight. Absolutely love it. Check out some of the tunes here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bnnslkib7I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDCE6Gr3ck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-XEKJfk_CA#t=12

Track List:

1. Peace
2. Drive
3. Set Me Free
4. VIP
5. Novocaine
6. Stormchasers
7. Runaways
9. Black Cloud
10. Nightcrawler

Novocaine is great man, but the rest two are just average, well guess this year has nothing like last year's DESTINE huh ?

You think 'Black cloud' is average? And even the opener, 'Peace?' Wow mate, I love those tunes. Such massive hooks.

Probably nothing as good as Destine this year, but honestly, the A Day To Remember disc gets close.

Oh, and Mest. Why is everyone not digging the shit out of that one? 'Not what you expected' by Mest is one of my favourite albums of the year. Digital only, I fear.

• My Little Pony

Novocaine is great man, but the rest two are just average, well guess this year has nothing like last year's DESTINE huh ?

You think 'Black cloud' is average? And even the opener, 'Peace?' Wow mate, I love those tunes. Such massive hooks.

Probably nothing as good as Destine this year, but honestly, the A Day To Remember disc gets close.

Oh, and Mest. Why is everyone not digging the shit out of that one? 'Not what you expected' by Mest is one of my favourite albums of the year. Digital only, I fear.

Meh. Mest didn't really tickle my balls. Not like Jonas and the Massive Attraction.

Holy shit!! "Novocaine" is just a cracking tune. "Black Cloud" is very good too but "Peace" was just average. And to answer the Mest question, some songs are just kick ass and some are just average. So on a whole I would have to say that Mest is just OK. I do think that they have the chops to put it all together and release a classic at some point.

The reason nothing has touched Destine is cos that album (and the debut come to that) is one of the best modern albums in the last ten years. Melodic perfection from start to finish.

Holy shit, mate, I haven't been able to get a grasp on the new disc... yet, but I got my hands on 'A New Life' from last year, from Pistol Day Parade, and I really like these guys. Really average opener, but some cracking modern melodic hard rock on there. Very promising band and if the debut was that impressive, I think this new one this year could be great! Must get my ears on it.

Holy shit, mate, I haven't been able to get a grasp on the new disc... yet, but I got my hands on 'A New Life' from last year, from Pistol Day Parade, and I really like these guys. Really average opener, but some cracking modern melodic hard rock on there. Very promising band and if the debut was that impressive, I think this new one this year could be great! Must get my ears on it.

Haha, okay, so just looking at the track list, it's the same album! ;) Oh well, comments stand - very nice disc.

• 2 months later...

Haha, okay, so just looking at the track list, it's the same album! ;) Oh well, comments stand - very nice disc.

Yeah, It's pretty much the same thing with "High" being the only new track.