Mind Funk S/T from 1991

AlphaMale

Man... I just dusted this off and put it in the old CD player and holy shitballs.... this CD still slays!!!

:banger::headbanger::beerbang: :beerbang: :headbanger::banger:

My favorite track and Headbangers Ball track:

Did you guys like this band and album??

Oh man! this one and Dropped both rocked, used to play Bring It On on my college radio station, I think Dropped is far better, but they were both killer, really good post grunge shit, using grunge rhythms, and sound, but keeping that rock and metal element to it, so never to be classified as a grunge band, to bad they never got the looks they deserved, one might argue it is because they kept the metal\rock sound to their music, but who knows.

They have 3 albums:

- Mind Funk

- Dropped

- People Who Fell From The Sky

First abum is Hard Rock with an alternative/metal touch. A great record. Different from all others.

Second & Third are like a dark grunge stoner. Dropped is a masterpiece and one of the most underrated albums from that era.

I have also the cd single "Touch You" taken from the 1st album. It contains 2 unreleased great songs and the original version of "Touch You" or should I say "Fuck You" ... lol

They have 3 albums:

- Mind Funk

- Dropped

First abum is Hard Rock with an alternative/metal touch. A great record. Different from all others.

Second & Third are like a dark grunge stoner. Dropped is a masterpiece and one of the most underrated albums from that era.

I have also the cd single "Touch You" taken from the 1st album. It contains 2 unreleased great songs and the original version of "Touch You" or should I say "Fuck You" ... lol

There's that word again...lol

They have 3 albums:

- Mind Funk

- Dropped

Mullet, I really dont know if you could even call these guys "grunge" I mean honestly, lets look at this people on here who like them, lets put Mudhoney up for a second, now lets compare it to my favorite song off Dropped Zootiehead, there is no comparison, now that I stop and listen to it, I dont know if I could even say it's post grunge, I think dude before had it right, when he said it's Hard Rock, only for the year it came out, it had a phenomenally killer modern sound to it, since very few bands were ever even able to successfully crossover with any sort of quality at that time and period in music, listening to it as we speak, I think that's really what it was, Hard Rock with a hint of Alternative, but really all thats saying is it was a modern sounding Hard Rock group for the year it came out, I really don't think they were grunge, at all, just my opinion, and my opinion changed as I listened to their 3 discs last night, and to Dropped as we speak, so I guess it's in the ear of the listener, but Mullethead, dont lose your wood to quick bro, I am anti-grunge, matter of fact, for what it was, I dont believe any of the so called "grunge" bands are even really grunge bands, I believe they were metal or alt bands who saw the potential, and jumped on board, as many of what I consider real grunge bands, are not only not known by anyone, but had pretty much vanished by the time it had exploded, maybe im to literal minded, but Mind Funk is good as fuck, you should check out their 1st disc, maybe you get your woody back?

You can argue if you want, but when I listen to Dropped and People Who Fell, I hear stoner rock, that's what I hear, more of a Kyuss sound then anything? like I say argue about it.

They have 3 albums:

- Mind Funk

- Dropped

Mullet, I really dont know if you could even call these guys "grunge" I mean honestly, lets look at this people on here who like them, lets put Mudhoney up for a second, now lets compare it to my favorite song off Dropped Zootiehead, there is no comparison, now that I stop and listen to it, I dont know if I could even say it's post grunge, I think dude before had it right, when he said it's Hard Rock, only for the year it came out, it had a phenomenally killer modern sound to it, since very few bands were ever even able to successfully crossover with any sort of quality at that time and period in music, listening to it as we speak, I think that's really what it was, Hard Rock with a hint of Alternative, but really all thats saying is it was a modern sounding Hard Rock group for the year it came out, I really don't think they were grunge, at all, just my opinion, and my opinion changed as I listened to their 3 discs last night, and to Dropped as we speak, so I guess it's in the ear of the listener, but Mullethead, dont lose your wood to quick bro, I am anti-grunge, matter of fact, for what it was, I dont believe any of the so called "grunge" bands are even really grunge bands, I believe they were metal or alt bands who saw the potential, and jumped on board, as many of what I consider real grunge bands, are not only not known by anyone, but had pretty much vanished by the time it had exploded, maybe im to literal minded, but Mind Funk is good as fuck, you should check out their 1st disc, maybe you get your woody back?

I will give anything a spin once but it does not sound like anything I would like, especially using Mudhoney as a reference (terrible band in my opinion). I never called it grunge, someone else did but I can't say because I have never listed to it. I know a lot of people who listen to hair metal and evenatually came around to some of the older grunge stuff but I'm not one of them. I don't blame grunge for the fall of hair metal (though a lot of bands do) but I still think it sucks. It's dreary, depressing & make me want to pull a Cobain if I had to listen to it all the time. I'm not a fan of "stoner" rock. Give me Slave to the Grind, On Your Knees or Master of Puppets any day.

There it is....my dick JUST got hard :)

Loved the debut CD. I heard it got re-released or something with some additional stuff. Did anyone get it? Is it worthwhile?

Sorry guys, I couldn't stomach the 2nd and 3rd release when they came out or now. I'm with Mullethead on this one.......

Could you imagine if grunge never exploded and everyone in the band just got along.... Skid Row release a proper follow up to Slave, Vince stays in Motley and Primal Scream is the first single from a proper follow up to Dr. Feelgood.... too many to mention!

Loved the debut CD. I heard it got re-released or something with some additional stuff. Did anyone get it? Is it worthwhile?

Sorry guys, I couldn't stomach the 2nd and 3rd release when they came out or now. I'm with Mullethead on this one.......

Could you imagine if grunge never exploded and everyone in the band just got along.... Skid Row release a proper follow up to Slave, Vince stays in Motley and Primal Scream is the first single from a proper follow up to Dr. Feelgood.... too many to mention!

Can never happen in the cycle of things. Too much of a good thing brings out overkill of the bad as well. Reinvention....that's what kept some of those bands around. I never understood that as a kid or even thought about it. I just assumed the music would always be popular but I realized I was wrong. I remember buying a Metal Edge mag one day going "what the fuck is all of this?" It just died off.

You mentioned Skids and Mötley. Look at the flip side if you can...these are just my opinions of course but I love Subhuman Race. Had they stayed together those of us who love Bachs solo stuff and post Bach SR stuff would be deprived. As for MC, we would have been deprived of the excellent St Corabi album and two excellent Vince solo albums.

I've learned to enjoy the history and feel blessed that most of the talented bands are still going today.

They have 3 albums:

- Mind Funk

- Dropped

I will give anything a spin once but it does not sound like anything I would like, especially using Mudhoney as a reference (terrible band in my opinion). I never called it grunge, someone else did but I can't say because I have never listed to it. I know a lot of people who listen to hair metal and evenatually came around to some of the older grunge stuff but I'm not one of them. I don't blame grunge for the fall of hair metal (though a lot of bands do) but I still think it sucks. It's dreary, depressing & make me want to pull a Cobain if I had to listen to it all the time. I'm not a fan of "stoner" rock. Give me Slave to the Grind, On Your Knees or Master of Puppets any day.

No brother Mullet, I used Mudhoney as a reference to what "REAL GRUNGE" is, most people bring up Nirvana, and shit like that, NOPE! Mudhoney is grunge to me, these guys sound nothing like Mudhoney, and my point was, I really dont hear any grunge in them at all, dude, your not going to get a railroaded genre from me, if a bands good, and they write something that I like, and they can at least play their instruments, I will listen, regardless of what anyone tries to classify it as, but I hate the grunge thing as much as any hair metal dog who got cut short, being I was still a little young when it all unfolded, so if anything I should hate grunge even more, as it stunted my metal growth, and made me go outside the country at an early age.

They have 3 albums:

- Mind Funk

- Dropped

No brother Mullet, I used Mudhoney as a reference to what "REAL GRUNGE" is, most people bring up Nirvana, and shit like that, NOPE! Mudhoney is grunge to me, these guys sound nothing like Mudhoney, and my point was, I really dont hear any grunge in them at all, dude, your not going to get a railroaded genre from me, if a bands good, and they write something that I like, and they can at least play their instruments, I will listen, regardless of what anyone tries to classify it as, but I hate the grunge thing as much as any hair metal dog who got cut short, being I was still a little young when it all unfolded, so if anything I should hate grunge even more, as it stunted my metal growth, and made me go outside the country at an early age.

Well said Cody. This is NOT GRUNGE.

Grunge is just a style to describe the Soundgarden/Pearl Jam/Alice In Chains styled music of the time. I know many around here persive grunge in a negative light, but 20 years removed, I can live with it. I have over 500 cd's from the 80's and to the early 90's of 'our' style of music bands and only 2 'grunge' like discs, MIndfunk's Dropped and Pearl Jam's Ten. Between 1991 to 2000 was generally a pretty crappy era for the music I really dug, but those 2 releases are still to this day favs of mine. I also liked some music from Soundgarden and Alice In Chains, but only a few tracks.

Here are my top tracks from Dropped...I get the stoner comments, but this still had that Soundgarden/Pearl Jam/Temple Of The Dog/Alice In Chains grunge sound of the early to mid 90's.

Mama, Moses and Me

the final few seconds of the track are worth it alone, great track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1fyV1x2G8M

Goddess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSKbxdSnOzE

Billygoat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OituI44-hlg&list=PLi9qRrnndyllDPa_Jnu2QAaQPRAJJNFWG

11 Ton Butterfly

Awesome track!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eVkbleAc5w&list=PLi9qRrnndyllDPa_Jnu2QAaQPRAJJNFWG

Here are some online reviews and I agree with most of them, this release was a forgotten gem and deserved more success.

http://www.zenial.nl/review/dropped.htm

Ok have to admit the first clip posted is straight up rock with that grinding riff. Would love to pick that up. The other tracks listed by Zach. we're fucking terrible though. I will buy the debut though.

Ok have to admit the first clip posted is straight up rock with that grinding riff. Would love to pick that up. The other tracks listed by Zach. we're fucking terrible though. I will buy the debut though.

the debut is amazing, with some awesome tracks.

And wasnt their drummer Celtic Frosts former drummer? I cant remember, it almost seemed like this was a super group of sorts, with all the members playing for well established outfits prior to them joining this band, anyways this was my far and away favorite by these guys, and one I often snuck in and played on my college radio station, Bring It On!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxcSe_eNfzs&list=ALBTKoXRg38BCBNrpG3KO4uGMOnmHLy1qi

the debut is amazing, with some awesome tracks.

:agree:

Love that album. My favourite track is 'Fire', but the whole thing is feckin' fantastic.

I like the third album too, but not as much and they had moved towards the Seattle sound imo.

• 6 months later...
Guest Elvenking

Loved that first release by them. Some guy who was into Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mr. Bungle, Jesus Jones got me into them. Still worth a spin from time to time with great nostalgia coming off it. Solid release.