Hinder - Welcome To The Freakshow

Stefan

Great, if not a little "typical" Hinder ballad. I know there wasn't much fanfare for this CD on the forum here, but I love it. Been one of the constant spins from 2012. Hinder, Papa Roach and Disciple all released excellent discs in 2012.

• 3 weeks later...

My sexy little summary on the disc:

1. Save Me - good, solid but pretty typical modern rocker - 7.25

2. Ladies Come First - another good solid hard rocker - very standard for them - 7.25

3. Shoulda Known Better - killer ballad, killer hook - 9.50

4. Freakshow - another typical, solid hard rocker - 7.25

5. Talk to Me - real nice mid-tempo number with a great chorus - 9.00

6. Get Me Away From You - good solid ballad - not their best ever, but a real nice tune - 8.75

7. Is It Just Me - okay but pretty throw away modern pop rock - 7.00

8. I Don't Wanna Believe - by the numbers ballad… but a nice set of numbers - 8.50

9. See You in Hell - the best of the rockers at this point - good one with a great riff - 7.75

10. Anyone But You - real nice ballad - love the chorus hook - 8.50

11. Wanna Be Rich - the actual best of the rockers - very good, catchy chorus - 8.50

TOTAL SCORE - 81%

Overall it's another good disc by a band I do really like. It certainly does not reach the highs of 'TITTL,' but it is at least as good as, if not maybe a little better than 'AAN,' though they're on a very even level at this point. If you've liked Hinder before, you'll still like this one plenty.

I like the new one - I really think they've improved on the last 2 discs and added more melody. There's a ton of ballads (too many) but some quality songs IMO.

• 7 months later...

Is that only just being released now? Kinda ballsy for a single. Best non-ballad on the disc, though, imo. I do like this band...

• 2 weeks later...
  • My Little Pony

This whole time I mistook "Welcome to the Freakshow" for "All American Nightmare." I didn't realize they dropped an album last year. But it appears it's not so great. And now they lost their vocals. Hmm...

• My Little Pony

i dont think they will ever top the excellence that is TITTL.

That's what I fear, too. Who knows, maybe the band wanted that sound, but Winkler steered them back to the Modern Rock sound. If they return to the mad 80's vibe, I'll be happy.

This whole time I mistook "Welcome to the Freakshow" for "All American Nightmare." I didn't realize they dropped an album last year. But it appears it's not so great. And now they lost their vocals. Hmm...

Its not terrible, just way too many ballads and slow paced songs.

Not enough killer rock tunes.

i dont think they will ever top the excellence that is TITTL.

What a masterpiece that was and still is. It's what made me a fan of the band and I listened to it relentlessly for a year or two. Few albums have ever hooked me as much.

Oh wow, holy shitballs, that's news to me. Technically his voice is still awful and it could almost end up being a "good" thing, but I never like a good band parting with their vocalist once they've done good things with him. I personally still love all their CDs, though I definitely agree TITTL is a one in a million kind of disc - total classic in my eyes.

I'll be interested to see how this story plays out.

Like you say, I have never been a fan of bands changing vocalists with a few exceptions.

What I think will be interesting is to see where they both go musically. It might give an indication as to why the last album was so much more laid back than the previous ones.

If the band return to rocking form it might indicate that Austin was the one wanting to go in a more ballady direction, but if they continue in that direction and Austin goes more rock, then that may indicate thats why he left the band.

Like you say, I have never been a fan of bands changing vocalists with a few exceptions.

What I think will be interesting is to see where they both go musically. It might give an indication as to why the last album was so much more laid back than the previous ones.

If the band return to rocking form it might indicate that Austin was the one wanting to go in a more ballady direction, but if they continue in that direction and Austin goes more rock, then that may indicate thats why he left the band.

I agree that it's going to be interesting as to how the next album turns out, especially as Austin seems to release a solo-album in 2014.

But I seem to recall that Cody Hanson mentioned that it was the record label's decision not to put more rock songs on 'Welcome...'. Anyway, I'm happy they'll continue, but I doubt they are going to top TITTL ever again.