AOK - A Little Excitement

Nick C

Heh! This brought back some memories...a few of the people I used to hang out/booze with at Rockworld and the Banshee had a band called AOK (ex Sam Thunder). They've reformed partly under the moniker of Angels or Kings...and were in one of the Classic Rock AOR specials it was strange to see Rob (Naylor the bass player) with short hair...haven't seen him since the early 90's when it was down to his arse nearly. Anyway I was visiting their site to see if there was any new news and was pleased to come across this video of the old band AOK from the 90's.....I think this is the only video I've ever come across of them. Made me smile big time.

AOK - A Little Excitement

No, I'm fairly certain they didn't release anything officially, and it doesn't mention anything being released either in Tony's book about his time in the band... I have some demos by them from their AOK days and the song here I haven't got as part of those demos so my guess is they had more stashed away.

You can checkout their newer stuff as Angels Or Kings at www.angelsorkings.com which is in a similar style.

Very good sounding for something that was never really released.

No, I'm fairly certain they didn't release anything officially, and it doesn't mention anything being released either in Tony's book about his time in the band... I have some demos by them from their AOK days and the song here I haven't got as part of those demos so my guess is they had more stashed away.

You can checkout their newer stuff as Angels Or Kings at www.angelsorkings.com which is in a similar style.

Bummer....

Sharing is caring Sir Nicholas. :)

Guest Rob Naylor

Hey Nick it's me!! How are you mate? It's been a long time. A friend told me about this forum so it was nice surprise to find you here. Thanks for putting up the video of AOK, the song was recorded as a three track demo and was, I think our last. There's not a lot of video out there (we didn't even have mobile phones) but if anyone's interested there's a semi live vid on you tube. Type in AOK BIblle song. This was partly filmed at the Astoria in London when we supported Danger Danger around 1991 I think. Our new project Angel Or Kings is coming together nicely and will be releasing stuff soon so keep checking our website.

Hey Rob.......man it is so great to hear from you bud. :headbanger:

I caught the Angels or Kings article in Classic Rock....laughed myself stupid (but with joy not malice) it was so nice to see you guys still up for it - I went to the website, and it was sooo good to see you and Tony (who probably wouldn't remember me at all haha) and Steve (who would probably say who's that nob!???!???) . So anyway I've been mooching about there checking news, as usual not paying attention and missing the links and then through a drunken haze saw them.. and was completely blown away by the tunes and the videos...jeeeeez they brought back some memories.....absolutely brilliant days down the Banshee and Rock World.... btw I have hair still but only on my chin haha! The new stuff sounds GREAT by the way....gotta get that at some point.

If you wanna go for a beer in Manc PM me here or I'll drop u an email address and we can talk crap about th' olden dayz..Like Nic Bennets rubbish jokes. haha!

Serious best of luck mate.....if anyone deserves it then it's you guys.

It's by Tony Bell (one of the guitarists) and is called Life in the Bus Lane. Great read especially when you remember a lot of the people, places and the times in there.

• 6 months later...

Just been listening to some samples from this band ... sounds very nice. 'Just Another Lost Boy' is a great tune:

http://www.angelsorkings.com/?page_id=22

• 9 months later...

Just been listening to some samples from this band ... sounds very nice. 'Just Another Lost Boy' is a great tune:

http://www.angelsorkings.com/?page_id=22

Anyone else liking these songs at all? Still no sign of an album, but I've messaged the band to get an update. This is great (but the other samples sound even better imo):

If an album ever appears, it should be awesome.

• 1 month later...

Hey James...I Believe the band have recorded enough so an album is ready to go/due, whether independent or not..well I dunno. They're in a vote to get on at Firefest 14 at moment and it's down to the last 3 bands.

If you want to hear some of the newer stuff then there's a broadcast on Mixcloud showcasing another 3 songs (and an interview from Tony Bell)....If you like them then I'm sure the band would appreciate your vote over at the firefest website. Not sure when voting ends.

http://www.mixcloud.com/Firebrand/live-and-loud-nov-26th-with-fahran-jimi-anderson-angels-or-kings-and-paul-nicholls/

here's the link for the songs

• 2 weeks later...

Hey James...I Believe the band have recorded enough so an album is ready to go/due, whether independent or not..well I dunno. They're in a vote to get on at Firefest 14 at moment and it's down to the last 3 bands.

If you want to hear some of the newer stuff then there's a broadcast on Mixcloud showcasing another 3 songs (and an interview from Tony Bell)....If you like them then I'm sure the band would appreciate your vote over at the firefest website. Not sure when voting ends.

http://www.mixcloud.com/Firebrand/live-and-loud-nov-26th-with-fahran-jimi-anderson-angels-or-kings-and-paul-nicholls/

here's the link for the songs

Looks like they won, they're playing on the Friday. Tempting, but the only other band I really want to see that day is Shy. Hmm...