Butch Walker - Drinking With Strangers

Only had this for a couple days and can't put it down. I recommend anyone who is a Butch fan buy this, great read. Some highlights so far..

Apparently Southgang was Byte The Bullet first. Anyone has any of their demos please let me know :)

Also, as you may or may not imagine Butch is not a fan of his Hair Metal past. He does mention that he has no regrets about it because that is what he was into growing up and that was the scene at the time but there are no plans to ever play a Southgang song again. From reading it, I believe some of the bitterness about Southgang is from the record label, producers, etc.

It also appears as though there was a major falling out with Jess the singer from Southgang. It seems there are still hard feelings also. I get the feeling they don't talk ever. He referred to Jess as a heavy drinker and pill popper and that caused them to fight amongst each other even more.

It also appears that Butch Walker is certain that Paul Stanley is gay...:)

One last tidbit that Butch seems a bit bitter about. Kinda funny....in the mid 90's Butch was asked to produce a band that no one knew about. This was pre-Marvelous 3 era. He went to listen to them and said they sounded like a 3rd rate Pearl Jam cover band and that he was not interested. Their manager tried several times to get him to change his mind and even offered him 5% of their sales. He turned them down again and never looked back. That band was...Creed. LOL...he could have used that cash back then I bet. LOL

Anyway, great read. Check it out!

Blimey, they're always "ashamed" of their past aren't they? More like they're disappointed they didn't make more money or get more fame.

Never did understand that mindset. I mean you made the shit stick behind it. Reminds me always of Vanilla Ice when he was on that Celebrity Room Mate show and was totally against anyone even mentioning the "old" days and of course the old tune (s).??

I don't get it at all...

I guess my dream of a Southgang reunion is dead. :doh:

I love all of these people that say Paul Stanley is gay but in this day and age of your whole life being on the internet don't you think some old boyfriend or one night stand of his would have popped up and wrote a book, blog or at least gave an interview? Tommy Lee has said the same thing about Paul but again there has been no evidence plus he's been married at least twice and has two kids I think. I know that don't mean anything but I would think there would be some old flame of his telling the world about their relationship and Paul don't have that much money to keep someone like that quiet. Just my two cents.....

He's a wanker. Afraid that if these "modern" kids find out he was in a hair metal band, he will be tossed aside like yesterday's garbage.

Well no he's not a wanker nor will he be tossed aside? He is mega talented and as I mentioned, he said that it was what he was into back then. He is not into it anymore and that is fine and his right.

I would definitely read the book before I called him a wanker.

I still think he's a wanker.

Refusing to ever play anything from Southgang because "he's not into that stuff anymore" is pure bullshit. Why did he even bother joining/forming either Southgang or Marvelous 3 then? He's nothing but a sellout. How convenient that went hair metal was out of style, all of the sudden he's not into it anymore? I've heard his lame-ass solo stuff and it's garbage to these ears. Just my opinion of course.

This book's on my wishlist and I'll buy it asap. Not in a massive hurry as I'v read about 1/100th of a book in the last year (aside from this photoshop book, which is part of my face at the moment) but very keen to read this. The whole being ashamed of the Southgang era is pretty sad, but still keen to read the whole thing.

I still think he's a wanker.

Refusing to ever play anything from Southgang because "he's not into that stuff anymore" is pure bullshit. Why did he even bother joining/forming either Southgang or Marvelous 3 then? He's nothing but a sellout. How convenient that went hair metal was out of style, all of the sudden he's not into it anymore? I've heard his lame-ass solo stuff and it's garbage to these ears. Just my opinion of course.

Lol...uh, ok...

Lets just puts things in perspective here. He hasn't played Hair Metal since 1992-1993. Not to mention, it might sound kind of silly to include say "Tug of War" in his set these days. From reading the book, he wasn't in to "that stuff" anymore since before the 2nd album was released. Alice in Chains use to be hair metal too...guess they sold out as well right? I love both Southgang albums, but I am taking all Marvelous 3 cd's and about 3 of his solo cd's over them anyday. Just my opinion of course...

Look, if you don't like the guys music & you think he's a tool then that all good in the hood. But that's not what this thread is for so you might want to start a thread specifically for that that way I can ignore it in peace.