Charm City Devils

heaven&hell

I loved the Let's Rock N Roll release from 2009 but wasn't sure if these guys are still active or not. Anyone know?

Charm City Devils is alive and well. John is lying a bit low and writing songs as well as working with a couple other artists. John recently took time out for the Child's Play reunion show in Baltimore.

I loved the Let's Rock N Roll release from 2009 but wasn't sure if these guys are still active or not. Anyone know?

Charm City Devils is alive and well. John is lying a bit low and writing songs as well as working with a couple other artists. John recently took time out for the Child's Play reunion show in Baltimore.

I figured you'd know what was up with them. Thanks for the update.

I still play that CCD disc quite often and just love the throw back Rock N Roll mixed with a modern edge. I hope they get another disc out this year.

• 4 weeks later...

From Sleazeroxx.com:

From the working-class streets of Baltimore, Maryland, Charm City Devils reemerge with their newest release 'Sins' on April 1st.

This quintet's second full length effort finds them adding harder, edgier tones to their blues based roots. The result of the band's life experiences over the past few years, Charm City Devils' new release features an aggression and energy that hits you right between the eyes. From the first note of "Spite" to the last cymbal crash of "Unstoppable", 'Sins' showcases the bands power, directness and new found energy and intensity.

Frontman John Allen explains, "When we came off of the road at the end of Cruefest 2, we all felt so pumped and excited to keep moving and growing. We were so blown away at the reaction that we didn't want to lose that creative energy. We started laying down tracks and ideas for this record almost immediately."

"Everyone has ups and downs -- that's life. I have played music my entire life. I've been a professional musician since I could carry my gear and have seen and experienced what this industry, 'good and bad', has to offer. We wanted 'Sins' to be deep with songs that people can relate to. On this record I wanted to put it all out there! Songs about love, anger, revenge and all the emotions that I was feeling. Expressing what I, and everyone in this band, had been through. These feelings are universal. They touch everyone and we used our experiences to put together a powerful statement that we believe listeners can connect with."

In August Charm City Devils went into Sound Kitchen studios with Grammy winning producer Skidd Mills (Saving Abel, Egypt Central). About the process, Allen reflects, "Our previous record had been a compilation of songs I had written and recorded over a two to three year period. It was recorded in a couple of different setting and tracked by a few different people. This time we went into one studio with one producer to give the record a cohesive sound and direction."

"When it came to giving the record a title we wanted something that hit a nerve. We have five different personalities in this band and it can sometimes be a challenge to agree on one idea. The one thing we all could agree on is in one form or another we have all sinned. Some of us more than others" Allen chuckles.

Charm City Devils where discussing classic songs and if they should incorporate something into their set. "There were many ideas kicked around, but which one? "Man Of Constant Sorrow" came up and we decided to give it a try. It's an incredibly powerful song but it was a challenge to develop and arrange it in a way that would capture the essence of the song but would ROCK! We all loved the version from "O Brother Where Art Thou?" Skidd and I built a foundation and with much tweaking and editing I think we delivered a great version of the song. The song transcends generations. It's a timeless classic and it's been around a long time and and I'm excited to bring it to a whole new group of rock fans."

Not ones to completely forego their love of the blues, the band included the song "Devil Is A Woman" a subject matter speaking directly to the album title. Other songs like "Walk Away" and "Love N War" showcase their influences and craft the music in a direction that shows depth and the commitment to making a great CD.

Allen elaborates; "All You'll Ever Need" was written a few years back but never released. It's a slight departure from the overall record. We played it for a few close friends and the instant connection they had to the song made it clear we needed to put it on 'Sins'. It's a great way to finish the record. For all the darkness, anger and vengeance that fills the album, this cut speaks to love. Maybe it's some form of redemption?"

"I buried a lot of feelings deep inside me and carried those conflicting emotions around for a long time. As I wrote this record it gave me the opportunity to bring those consuming emotions to the forefront and deal with them. I've always used music as an outlet for my feelings and has helped me get through some dark times in my life. I hope that these songs connect emotionally with our fans, old and new, and give them the same release from the burden of their 'Sins'."

01130.jpg

New song/video and cover of the O Brother Where Art Thou movie song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii8u4GDCwRU

New album coming in April!

I'd be surprised if this is released on time.

From Sleazeroxx.com:

From the working-class streets of Baltimore, Maryland, Charm City Devils reemerge with their newest release 'Sins' on April 1st.

Allen elaborates; "All You'll Ever Need" was written a few years back but never released. It's a slight departure from the overall record. We played it for a few close friends and the instant connection they had to the song made it clear we needed to put it on 'Sins'. It's a great way to finish the record.

I am glad to hear that they are including "All You'll Ever Need"... cool song. That one should have been on the first release.

* For those of you who like Charm City Devils, you should check out the Forty Acres release... This is basically a John Allen solo disc. He played like 95% percent of the instruments as well a doing vocals. He put together a band so he could play these songs live... This band became Charm City Devils.

From Sleazeroxx.com:

Allen elaborates; "All You'll Ever Need" was written a few years back but never released. It's a slight departure from the overall record. We played it for a few close friends and the instant connection they had to the song made it clear we needed to put it on 'Sins'. It's a great way to finish the record.

I am glad to hear that they are including "All You'll Ever Need"... cool song. That one should have been on the first release.

* For those of you who like Charm City Devils, you should check out the Forty Acres release... This is basically a John Allen solo disc. He played like 95% percent of the instruments as well a doing vocals. He put together a band so he could play these songs live... This band became Charm City Devils.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the tip Dave!

Is there any chance of him doing a new Childs Play cd?

• 1 month later...

The new album is maybe my 2nd or 3rd favorite of the year so far. SO GOOD! Wes, you need this cd. Check out the first single below. It has a very swampy, dirty feel to it. Most of the album is different than this song but I love this thing.

The new album is maybe my 2nd or 3rd favorite of the year so far. SO GOOD! Wes, you need this cd. Check out the first single below. It has a very swampy, dirty feel to it. Most of the album is different than this song but I love this thing.

I've only seen it on download which is what I have but don't see an actual physical cd release but when I do I am buying it.

As I stated in my post above yours it's pretty good.

I've only seen it on download which is what I have but don't see an actual physical cd release but when I do I am buying it.

You can get it here: http://www.cdbaby.com/m/cd/charmcitydevils2

or at live shows.. :beerbang:

I'm so glad they were added to Rocklahoma. It'll be great once again to see a hometown band take the stage at Rocklahoma. KIX has played Rocklahoma twice.

I've only seen it on download which is what I have but don't see an actual physically cd release but when I do I am buying it.

You can get it here: http://www.cdbaby.com/m/cd/charmcitydevils2

or at live shows.. :beerbang:

I'm so glad they were added to Rocklahoma. It'll be great once again to see a hometown band take the stage at Rocklahoma. KIX has played Rocklahoma twice.

Thanks for the heads up on cdbaby! :beerbang:

• 4 weeks later...

This one is kinda average, not really worthy to buy except you can find it for couple of bucks.

Hard rock with modern flavor but songs are just too ordinary without anything biting and memorable.

Funny thing is the best track here is 'All You'll Ever Need' which is a midtempo commercial ballad which is an irony for a hard rock band. 'Walk Away' and 'Love N War' are two good tracks and the rest are okay. Four fillers here are 'Man of Constant Sorrow', 'Still Alive', 'Devil Is A Woman', and 'Problem'.

Overall a 70% record or even worse, 65%

This one is kinda average, not really worthy to buy except you can find it for couple of bucks.

Hard rock with modern flavor but songs are just too ordinary without anything biting and memorable.

Funny thing is the best track here is 'All You'll Ever Need' which is a midtempo commercial ballad which is an irony for a hard rock band. 'Walk Away' and 'Love N War' are two good tracks and the rest are okay. Four fillers here are 'Man of Constant Sorrow', 'Still Alive', 'Devil Is A Woman', and 'Problem'.

I sadly can't even be bothered to check this out at all. These guys lost me at hello and I've never considered giving them another go. :(

I sadly can't even be bothered to check this out at all. These guys lost me at hello and I've never considered giving them another go. :(

I listened to the new album, it was my first taste of these guys. Not my cup o' tea one bit. Just have no interest in the kind of music bands like this play and never really have.

• 2 months later...