Amazon UK is a friend to Australian and New Zealand

Geoff

Just wanted to put the shout out out there. I f*cked up 1/3 of my order and spent aud$10 I didn't need to because I'm a stupid c*nt, but for the most part I still got a sweet deal... because, on new releases it appears as though Amazon.uk is still offering free shipping to Australia and NZ. It was a special I thought they only had back in May this year, but hopefully it might be a permanent, or at least an extended deal. The GB Pound is still pretty satanic against the AUD, but not as bad as usual. And even with the AUD still destroying the USD, after a lot of research I found it is FAR cheaper to buy from Amazon.uk because of what you save in shipping costs. New releases add up to cost you about au$12-$15 which I find to be quite friendly. :)

Pre-ordered White Widdow and House Of Lords too while I was there. :)

They have a lot of new and semi-new release CDs for 8-9 GBP. Definitely worth checking out. If you are an Aussie and like your movies make sure you check out the blu rays. I grabbed the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition blu ray box set for the missus and after VAT was removed it was GBP 35 + free shipping. Compare that to AUD $120 at JB HiFi. Have been putting an order in every month for the last 6 months. The Ozzy re-releases are cheap, as are the Helloween deluxe editions, JettBlack and so on. Lots to find and just make sure it has the Free Saver shipping tag on it (most do).

Remasters, deluxe editions etc. of CDs are especially cheap and go for GBP 2-5 eg. Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin. Good hunting.

Been buying from Amazon UK for the past two years esp for the new releases that's around 8-9 GBP (with additional 15% free tax discount), and some classic stuffs that i don't have that's usually sold around 3-5 GBP, but too bad there's no free shipment to my country, so usually i paid around $3 / cd for shipment so it's still more expensive but a good deal if compared to other sites, unless i get a bargain victory at eBay which is quite rare though.

what bargains have you seen dear geoffry?

Yeah mate, like Dahun said - it's not essentially "bargians" as such, just the most competitive price on most new releases. I picked up stuff like Toby Hitchcock, Work Of Art, Xorigin etc all for around that GBP8-9 mark. And without shipping costs and tax discount, it works out quite handsome. Pre-Orders from White Widdow, House of Lords and Newman I also snapped up for that same price. Big Life, Outloud, Shadowman... all just good "normal" new release prices. Bai Bang was a couple of dollars more, but still a hell of a lot cheaper than I've seen anywhere else.

bad news, looks like no free tax anymore, have you checked them out recently ?

i just found out about this last night, but right now, I'm confirming this to their customer service :doh:

Yeah, I did notice it wasn't across the board on my purchases last night. There was a small tax discount on a couple, but not all. Not the end of the world, though, as it was only minor anyway. Still, it was nice. ;)

i just found out about this last night, but right now, I'm confirming this to their customer service :doh:

Yeah, I did notice it wasn't across the board on my purchases last night. There was a small tax discount on a couple, but not all. Not the end of the world, though, as it was only minor anyway. Still, it was nice. ;)

yeah agree, but if you order a bulk, it's about 15% off, so sometimes it can give you another disc or two for free :D

yeah agree, but if you order a bulk, it's about 15% off, so sometimes it can give you another disc or two for free :D

Indeed. Fair point. I do wonder how something like that changes suddenly.

Indeed. Fair point. I do wonder how something like that changes suddenly.

That's what I'm asking to their CS, hopefully I can get the answer in a day or two, because if it's only a system glitch, then it's better to be confirmed by them and be patient first, but if it's their policy, then we have no option but to either buy from them or hunt down at another place.

A fast response from their behalf. Apparently, there's a slight change on the system, the non VAT thing still happened, but they used to auto-reduce the price while we're checking out, but right now, the price is still the same, but the total price is reduced with VAT 0, so it's still the same as it used to be.

Great news! :beerbang:

A fast response from their behalf. Apparently, there's a slight change on the system, the non VAT thing still happened, but they used to auto-reduce the price while we're checking out, but right now, the price is still the same, but the total price is reduced with VAT 0, so it's still the same as it used to be.

Great news! :beerbang:

Sounds good to me. If they keep this free shipping I won't bother looking elsewhere for new releases anymore. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying from an Aussie site (such as CDWOW or Chaos) and the US sites cannot compete either, despite the magic exchange rate. So Amazon.uk it is for me. :)

Amazon.UK is pretty much the best retailer I have come across. Really great prices on everything (not just cds), free shipping (in the most part) and a customer service second to none.

I recently had to return a pair of headphones (cos the were shite)....and they almost ended up apologising to me for inconveniencing me. Full refund no questions asked even though the plastic box had been torn apart etc......pretty amazing really!

Cheers

I started buying from Amazon.co.uk about 8-10 years ago, and they are pretty much the first place I check for pretty much anything now. I ordered my tv from there, my mattress from there and even cat food from there.

The deals they do with price matching the likes of Play.com also help, and the likes of HMV just cannot even come close to matching them (new Star Wars complete Blu Ray set is £67 in HMV and only £57 on Amazon).

While its not so good for international customers, I also love Marketplace, as if people want to sell on there, they generally have to try to make it noticeably cheaper than the Amazon price, and cheaper than any other Marketplace seller. Using that, I have managed to pick up books, DVDs and CDs for as little as 1p (plus P&P).

I also love Amazon Prime. I pay a one off fee of about £40 a year, and everything I order direct from Amazon gets free one day postage rather than having to wait 2 or 3 days if I want the postage free.

With the amount I buy on there, I easily make that £40 pretty quickly.

What also makes it cool is that if someone chooses the "fulfilled by Amazon" marketplace option by sending their goods direct to Amazon who then dispatches them when they sell, I can get the used cheaper items sent post free as well.

the only thing i'm bugging them is no free shipment to my country lol and some merchants that listed there won't ship to here either but nevertheless, most of new releases are the best price I can get (except only beaten by Russian/Argentinian/and boot of course :D)

Whats funny with Amazon marketplace is that a lot of the guys selling cheaper CDs are shipping from the USA, which means they probably lose a lot in shipping but probably make it up with how many orders they receive. It would also explain why they wont ship to other countries. Amazon.com marketplace sellers rarely seem to ship outside the USA the few times I have checked.

I do occasionally order items direct from the US site, but the only thing that puts me off doing it more regularly is the ridiculously high postage costs they often charge. When you consider that customs factors in the postage costs when deciding whether to charge me import tax, it makes it tougher to justify anything more than the odd CD here and there, where as ordering from a US seller on the UK marketplace keeps the prices mega low.