Seductive Luck - 'Can't Be Tamed'

Geoff

At the moment I am finally starting to make a bit of a dent in a huge pile/s of CDs I purchased a long time ago, but have not been able to listen to for reasons of there being way too many to listen to. :lol: But this one, which I bought AGES ago has been one I have anticipated.

Back around the late 90's and early 00's I was really into collecting demos from bands that never got a shot back in the 80's and early 90's. Many, like rare indies, weren't that great. But, like rare indies, you did have a few jewels in the crowd. I only ever heard 3 songs from Seductive Luck - 'All the girls,' 'Suddenly' and 'I'll be back.' And they're all I needed to hear to be sold, and list these guys as one of the jewels who were unlucky to miss out on a shot. I will say now before I go further, that someone had very wisely selected what are arguably the 3 best songs they ever recorded.

Anyway, fast forward to 2010 and Demon Doll release what I really feel should have been more widely talked about and acknowledged. An 18 track, silver-pressed CD from Seductive Luck. One thing I really hate about Demon Doll Records - and I really hope they rectify this - is that they release all this super interesting material from bands from the 80's/90's, but they include no background history or information about the band at all, aside from the personnel. It really shits me to tears because I'd like to know exactly what I'm holding in my hands and a bit of a story about what happened with the band. Especially a band like this. I must take the time to commend Eonian for what they do. When you're releasing previously unreleased music like this, I really think that bio is one of the most important elements of the entire package.

What one does decipher from the liner notes is who is in the band, and also that the 18 tracks are made up of two 9 track unreleased albums/recordings. One (this first 9 songs), completely polished and produced by an outside source, and one (songs 10-18) is self-produced.

The reason I would love to know what happened with this band is because, as noted, the first 9 songs sound like they were complete and ready to go for a label release... so what happened? And what year were they recorded? And what year were the second lot of 9 songs recorded?

The first 9, let me tell you, sound like Firehouse, production-wise. No kidding. The drums sound incredible and it's not just a decent production job, it's actually excellent. And one has to admit, even the 9 songs they produced themselves sound damn good too. Unfortunately, the best songs are mostly all the self-produced ones, but it doesn't mean they don't still sound great.

Anyway, what a load of waffling I have offered here. In conclusion, I will say this:

The album is excellent soundwise. There should be no concern going into this that you might get demo quality sound, because it's all very well produced - even excellently produced for the first 9 songs. The guitarist is excellent. The only slight downer is that not all the songs are amazing. I have only spun it once and I have no doubt it will grow into a real keeper, but the only thing that may have held these guys back was missing those few killer hooks come chorus time. But don't let that stop you, these guys are still well worth checking out. If you like early Firehouse, give these guys a go.

Wasn't aware that they now had a 18 song release on Demond Doll. I saw these guys play at Hammerjacks in Baltimore . I picked up a 3 song demo that night... no idea where that tape is.

I remember it being really pretty good. I don't own a Demond Dolls release yet but I may check into this one. :drink:

Wasn't aware that they now had a 18 song release on Demond Doll. I saw these guys play at Hammerjacks in Baltimore . I picked up a 3 song demo that night... no idea where that tape is.

I remember it being really pretty good. I don't own a Demond Dolls release yet but I may check into this one. :drink:

That must be the same 3 track demo I got. I'm actually not 100% sure of the 3rd song off the top of my head, but I'm 200% sure that 'Suddenly' and 'All the girls' were on it, because both are KILLER tunes.

If you want it, get it now while Demon Doll have their $9.99 sale on:

http://demondollrecords.com/seductive_luck/seductive_luck_cant_be_tamed

I see in the write-up there that the reference Firehouse too. There's really no mistaking it. There was one song - 'Grandma's Boogie Shoes' - yes, of course it's a filler with a title like that, but it is amazingly similar to Firehouse's filler on their debut too; 'Lover's Lane.' Same drums and all. :lol:

Damn, there's a name I haven't heard in ages. I saw these guys once many MANY years ago in New York City. Pretty decent live act from what I remember.

Damn, there's a name I haven't heard in ages. I saw these guys once many MANY years ago in New York City. Pretty decent live act from what I remember.

Yeah, assuming the guitarist plays like he does on the disc, I'm surprised that he, at least, didn't get a bit more recognition. Paul J Baccash? Does that name ring a bell with anyone, if he did anything else? Don't get me wrong, he's not Satriani or Vai, but definitely an above average "hair metal" guitarist, imo.

End of the day, better bands than this didn't get signed either, but many, many worse bands than this did get signed. There must be something really unlucky to tell in their biography...

I must take the time to commend Eonian for what they do. When you're releasing previously unreleased music...that bio is one of the most important elements...

The guy that writes those is hella-handsome too. ;)

I must take the time to commend Eonian for what they do. When you're releasing previously unreleased music...that bio is one of the most important elements...

The guy that writes those is hella-handsome too. ;)

He may be handsome; I just wish he could spell.

HAHA! Gotcha. I know you just threw your computer at the wall, rushed to your CD collection, stroked a photo of me you have hanging from your face, picked out all your Eonian CDs, read over every single word you've written... all of that, only to find out I just totally pwned you.

PWNED.

But yeah, seriously, good job. Brilliant work from the label to understand that it's what the people want, and yeah... I guess the guy who writes it does okay too. ;)

I kid, mate, you're a marvel.

Or are you?

Nah, you are.

But seriously, are you?

i remember checking this one out and it's pretty good, one thing that bothers me is it has too many songs on one CD thus making most of the songs sounds very similar and repetitive, but I remember, it's a good one.

i think i was promised to be sent one by the band members, hopefully it'll arrive in a week or two :popcorn:

i remember checking this one out and it's pretty good, one thing that bothers me is it has too many songs on one CD thus making most of the songs sounds very similar and repetitive, but I remember, it's a good one.

i think i was promised to be sent one by the band members, hopefully it'll arrive in a week or two :popcorn:

Yeah, it's a lot of songs but when you consider it's a once-off anthology of the bands entire career, if you will, I think it's valid.

I also thought there wasn't any true "Get the f*ck off my CD!" type filler on board either. That filler I mentioned above, 'Grandma's Boogie Shoes,' isn't that bad that it needs to be skipped. Just like on the Firehouse CD, 'Lovers Lane' is weak as piss but I still rarely bother actually skipping it. :)

Seductive Luck changed their name to Loud Crowd I believe

http://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glamcd.cgi?BandNum=1472&CDName=Loud+Crowd

Thanks mate... I need to hear that. Anyone got a download link?

See, now that's the kind of info that should be in the CD Booklet. :)

Seductive Luck changed their name to Loud Crowd I believe

http://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glamcd.cgi?BandNum=1472&CDName=Loud+Crowd

Thanks mate... I need to hear that. Anyone got a download link?

See, now that's the kind of info that should be in the CD Booklet. :)

comparing both CDs, the Loud Crowd one is full of songs on the Seductive Luck one, but does have one exclusive song.