Doro

Geoff

Recently I stumbled across a German site where I found a bunch of CDs at great prices. Without going in with any real aim, I ended up finding a few Doro discs for really cheap prices. Having sold more of her albums than I've kept (moreso because I got the "wrong ones"), I haven't really pursued her much, but for these prices I thought I'd revisit her and see how I went. The results were as follows:

In the past I owned and sold 'True diamonds' (not because of bad songs, just because it was a 'Best Of'), 'Machine 2 Machine' (which was terrible) and 'Love me in black' (which did have one or maybe two nice songs, but for the most part was also pretty awful). The only CD of hers I kept was 'Angels never die.' A good melodic hard rock CD, thanks mostly to Jack Ponti's input.

So the ones I bought the other day were:

Force Majeure ; very nice disc. I always enjoyed Warlock enough (got some tapes back in the day) and have had weak intentions to one day buy the Warlock CDs. Well, this one is pretty much a Warlock CD with a Doro title on it. Good, energetic hard rock / metal. I dig.

True at Heart ; Her second last real shot at commercial success. I like this one. Not as heavy as Warlock and more on par with Lita Ford... a good, strong CD, imo.

Calling the Wild ; surprisingly good. To be honest, as this was released in 2000, after the two studio albums I sold, I thought this would be more of the same. The CD starts with that same kind of mechanical drum machine sound that killed the 2 CDs I sold, but this album quickly presents itself as a very valid part of her discography. Some very cool songs on this one. Not as good as the two I mention above, but a good CD... a keeper for sure.

Fight ; this will probably be the only one that ends up on my trade list. Reminds me of the two albums I sold long ago. Mechanical, bland... weak songs. I didn't like this one.

So there is was. Three keepers, one probably for the trade list. Now, I just need to find the s/t solo disc from 1990 and I think I'll be content.

For the fans out there, what are the albums after 'Fight' like? Any of them essential for a fan of her earlier work?

The only Doro "solo" album I have is FIGHT... I like it well enough but the metalhead in me prefers her Warlock material, particularly BURNING THE WITCHES and TRIUMPH AND AGONY.

Oh, and her sultry cover of RJD's "Egypt (The Chains Are On)" from the HOLY DIO tribute album is utterly spank-worthy. :D

On a somewhat related note, there was a time in my late teens when my main goal in life was to be the man-meat in a Doro Pesch/Lita Ford sandwich. :lol:

Good to see you giving Doro a second chance. You need to give her "Warrior Soul" release a go. It is my favorite of her releases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcwGvV36IuY

I don't own any music by Doro....haven't even heard more than the occasional MP3 or sample....maybe it's time I changed that situation...from what Geoff is saying, it sounds like her first 4 releases are my best bet, not including the 'best of' release....

For me most of the solo Doro stuff is a little light, she is remedying that with Warrior Soul, Fight and Fear No Evil, but the earlier Self Titled release from 1990 and the few others around that time are very light and fluffy. The 2000's are better for her in getting back to a more Warlock-like feel in her music.

The Warlock releases are far superior to her solo work imho. Favorites are: Triumph and Agony, True As Steel and Hellbound...

• 3 years later...

I've been slogging through Doro's material in the car recently, and while some of it is okay, I find she uses the whispery vocal thing waaaaaay too much to the point of beyond irritation. I'm betting if she were actually doing that right in my ear in close proximity, I'd have a different reaction, but when I'm driving along and she trots it out on 3 or 4 tracks in a row, road rage could take on an entirely new meaning.

• My Little Pony

I've been slogging through Doro's material in the car recently, and while some of it is okay, I find she uses the whispery vocal thing waaaaaay too much to the point of beyond irritation. I'm betting if she were actually doing that right in my ear in close proximity, I'd have a different reaction, but when I'm driving along and she trots it out on 3 or 4 tracks in a row, road rage could take on an entirely new meaning.

Haha! You live in Surrey (or around there), right? I'll be sure to look out for the guy lashing out irrationally inside his car, for no apparent reason.