Any collecting regret

Hadley

• 3 weeks later...

Passed on an original copy of Signal's Loud & Clear...went home, decided I wanted it, went back...gone. I think it was like $5 and I don't know why I didn't pick it up the first time.

Same thing happened with the self titled Witness album. Saw it and passed. Never saw it again.

I'm sure there are more...but I'm starting to hate myself so I won't go into them.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Not bad ones, just some thoughts.

I had Fleetwood Mac's Tango In The Night. I usually get CDs in patterns, like the best 3, all of a certain group of band members, etc. TITN isn't the greatest album, I would've liked to have gotten all the CDs with the Rumours band members but didn't want to buy 5 or 6 more CDs, so I traded it in for a couple bucks. Well, I bought Tusk a couple months ago. Looked at the Fleetwood Mac discography again and discovered I actually already had the entire lineup of CDs I wanted except for Tango In The Night...dang. Of course, went to about 4 CDs stores and couldn't find any good copies like I had. I bought the best one I could find with had great cover art, plays good, but has visible scratches on the outer playing disk.

I also hate picking up stuff, then decide I don't want it, then find out in a week I really do and it's gone. Luckily, that doesn't happen too often.

Like I said, I like getting sets of things. I've seen things like the Kinks Velvel reissues and decide I have the best 3 albums in a row so I don't need the 1st couple reissues of Arista era albums, then find something rare like Word Of Mouth and say I wish I would have picked up the Velvel "Sleepwalker" and "Misfits" when I saw them. Now finding them is hard because some places don't list what recording company produced the used CD.

Found about 10 or more KISS Sonic Boom in Walmart for $1 each. But since I didn't want that CD and I don't buy CDs to sell them, I passed. Now I do wish I could've bought them to trade or sell online for a profit.

• 2 months later...

I will always remember a seller at my flea market with a steamer trunk full of metal LPs, all pretty good stuff, some great. I cherry picked and bought about 30% of them, imports, pic discs, signed albums and such. A little later I saw a fella from another music store dragging the whole chest off and it occured to me I could have prob bought the whole bunch for not much more, maybe even the same. 15 years later and I have never repeated that mistake :)

• 3 months later...

Streethearts - Drugstore Dancer CD is a current big regret - Although I have it on vinyl I thought it would be nice to grab on CD. Tried buying it and everytime I did I got some poxy folk CD (Jez had the same problem) even though I used 3 different companies. Obviously the CD was coming from the same warehouse or wherever and the product code was screwed. Anyway I got the wrong CD 3 times (still have a copy of it that I was refunded for) so I thought I'll wait a while and maybe pick it up later.

Now is later and the cheapest I can find it is £25! So for now I'll stick with the vinyl.

Just a few days ago I forgot to place my bid for a Kevin Raleigh CD (Delusions of Grandeur) on eBay. It was a reasonable price, but no one else bought this CD. And now it seems the seller doesn't want to sell at the starting price. :( Idiot me !! :doh:

Not actually passed up a cd, more of a missed opportunity. About 10 years ago I saw hundreds of cheap cds in the local warehouse and the pricetags were round the €5 mark. One cd stood out, I've never heard of it, and I glanced through the booklet, saw the name of the singer and thought: Didn't the singer sing on a freshly released album?

The singer was Kimmo Blom (Urban Tale´s debut was released the same year) and the cd I hold in my hands was Heartplay - The Album. There were about a dozen copies spread all over the shelves. If I only knew then what we know now, this cd is moving serious cash these days. And an awesome cd it is!

Should've bought every copy...I only got one :doh:

Almost the same thing about 20 years ago: same place, about the same number of copies, this time round the €3 mark. It was Bogart Co's New Games. Also quite expensive now...

Not actually passed up a cd, more of a missed opportunity. About 10 years ago I saw hundreds of cheap cds in the local warehouse and the pricetags were round the €5 mark. One cd stood out, I've never heard of it, and I glanced through the booklet, saw the name of the singer and thought: Didn't the singer sing on a freshly released album?

The singer was Kimmo Blom (Urban Tale´s debut was released the same year) and the cd I hold in my hands was Heartplay - The Album. There were about a dozen copies spread all over the shelves. If I only knew then what we know now, this cd is moving serious cash these days. And an awesome cd it is!

Should've bought every copy...I only got one :doh:

Ha ha ha .. ! FUCK !!!!! ;)

Only got one copy as well.

• 2 months later...

Years 'n' years ago I saw a used copy of X-Sinner's GET IT (the mass-market edition w/the orange label/logo cover, not the Christian bookstore edition w/the band photo on the front) and stupidly passed on it cuz at the time, I was fairly new to CD collecting and my old cassette copy was still in good working order, I hadn't gotten into the habit of "upgrading" my tapes yet.

...and of course, I've never seen another CD of that damn thing and I've been kickin' myself for that decision ever since. :doh:

Oh man, I remember that I take a trip to a village called Freilassing in Bavaria (Germany) somwhere in 1997 or 1998. There was a second hand store which a friend of mine recommended and I had a bunch of cds which I wanted to sell to this shop, because at this time I concentrated to collect only vinyl stuff. So the shop was filled with thousands of cds and I remember that they had hundreds of german and other melodic private pressings (I didn't know any of them at that time :angry2: ), most of the Mausoleum Classix stuff, Roadrunner Pricekillers, Reborn Classics,...but I still ignored all of them, holy jesus - :crying: !

And the most horrifying thing is that most of them cost only 4 - 6 Deutsch Marks - so just a few dollars :doh:

So after all those years I am sure the shop is closed, but I think I had to check out noce again...

My biggest regret was trading my only one copy of reaper(GER)- fairies return, which i got free, of course, from the band, to the regular Swedish guy, because i didn't like it, actually i found it disturbing. This was 4 years ago and the guy still has it on his list for 180 euro($235), as M/V+, and i remembered that we disagreed on the rating, 'cause i've told him it was M-/M-. Still it's a pain to see it listed there, while browsing his list :doh: . It was, is and will be the only one german baby ever to leave the shelves of my collection. I tried once and i bid 50 euros in the german ebay but i've lost it obviously. And of course there's no meaning in paying big $$$ to get these rarities. The fun factor is getting them free, or stolen, or cheap.

What pains me mostly is that this band progressed through the years and their next efforts were great, especially " The Years Within" which fills often my cd player :git: .

Oh man, I remember that I take a trip to a village called Freilassing in Bavaria (Germany) somwhere in 1997 or 1998. There was a second hand store which a friend of mine recommended and I had a bunch of cds which I wanted to sell to this shop, because at this time I concentrated to collect only vinyl stuff. So the shop was filled with thousands of cds and I remember that they had hundreds of german and other melodic private pressings (I didn't know any of them at that time :angry2: ), most of the Mausoleum Classix stuff, Roadrunner Pricekillers, Reborn Classics,...but I still ignored all of them, holy jesus - :crying: !

And the most horrifying thing is that most of them cost only 4 - 6 Deutsch Marks - so just a few dollars :doh:

So after all those years I am sure the shop is closed, but I think I had to check out noce again...

In the German boerses of numerous summer metal festivals during late 90's-early 00's these were availiable for 5-15 DM. Of course back then Andy had boxes of Wyzard for 80-150 DM + always availiable for trade if you had the right stuff, like running wild bootlegs.

I could have bought the "Michael White and the White" CD on ebay the other day and I bloody well forgot about it. :doh: And I am after this thing for quite some time now. Arrrghhh !!

My biggest regret was trading my only one copy of reaper(GER)- fairies return, which i got free, of course, from the band, to the regular Swedish guy, because i didn't like it, actually i found it disturbing. This was 4 years ago and the guy still has it on his list for 180 euro($235), as M/V+, and i remembered that we disagreed on the rating, 'cause i've told him it was M-/M-. Still it's a pain to see it listed there, while browsing his list :doh: . It was, is and will be the only one german baby ever to leave the shelves of my collection. I tried once and i bid 50 euros in the german ebay but i've lost it obviously. And of course there's no meaning in paying big $$$ to get these rarities. The fun factor is getting them free, or stolen, or cheap.

What pains me mostly is that this band progressed through the years and their next efforts were great, especially " The Years Within" which fills often my cd player :git: .

REAPER - Fairies Return - Privat D’86 12” 4 trax m-/v+ 180 :doh:

• 3 months later...

A few times. About 16 years ago my local library was selling off a ton of vinyl and by the time I got around to going most of it was gone. Then A few years back I found a stash of £1 vinyl in Brighton. I thought I'd pick it up on the way back and of course, we never went anywhere near it again.